Miyamoto: Wii U's Second Screen Will Grow On You

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So, I'm the only one that likes to look at a clear gaming screen? One not cluttered by overabundance of markers? Maybe keep the red screen shooters have nowadays on the 2nd screen? I kinda hate the hazy screen in shooters now.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I'm sure I'll enjoy the duo screen more when games I actually want to play come out for the console >>. I purchased it mainly for Nintendo Land and as an investment. Eventually games I want to play will come out for it. Might was well get it while I have money to afford it. I'd be enjoying it a lot more if Rayman was out... t_t

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
The Wii failed to buy my interest with its Wii-mote gimmick. I don't see the WiiU doing any better. As it is, if the rumors about online-requirements and such turn out to be true I may not be participating in the next console generation at all.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I didn't know it was playing devils advocate when using common sense.

I couldn't disagree anymore with Miyamoto, this is probably a thing that works with some people and that's it. I've tried the WiiU every time I went to EB (which is often since I live very close) and I hate taking away my focus from the main screen to a smaller one. To me it's comparable to having to look down at your remote to change the channel, when I preferred just remembering where each button is so I didn't have to have my eyes leave the screen. They may as well have just added more buttons to that brick.

Also, I wish they would stop trying to turn into something more than just a game machine unless it allows you to download mods.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
>.>

Seriously, that's what you've got? "Eventually people will get used to looking at a separate screen and then this will sell like hot-cakes." Based on what? That a handheld is doing better than any console?

Firstly... Miyamoto... are you adding the sales of the DS and the 3DS together? Because that's cheating, seeing as how DS owners had to buy the 3DS for all the new "DS" games being made with mandatory 3D bits. It'd be like if Sony added all the PS1 and the PS2 numbers together.

Secondly... you can't compare the overall sales of a handheld to the overall sales of a sit-at-home console. They're two different products selling to slightly different markets. You can't really compare the sales of cars to the sales of roller-blades in any meaningful way, which is basically the same as comparing non-portable gaming systems to portable gaming systems.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Here's the thing: Yes, I own a Wii U I bought on launch day, and yes, the second screen in some games (Lego City Undercover comes to mind here) is actually quite a useful tool that offers a new angle on certain game mechanics.

But...(and this is a big but)

It can only "grow on you" if you take the leap to buy the thing. Sure, I bought it because this is my job and being current on my game consoles is required for me to speak intelligently about the industry. If this *wasn't* my job there is no way in hell that Wii U would be sitting in my office right now. Being promised that the controller will become enjoyable after you buy the console isn't exactly going to sell consoles. Games sell consoles. We need games, Nintendo.

*cough*ChibiRobo*cough*

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Maerx said:
Cancer grows on you, but that doesn't make it a good thing.
You know just because two things share some words that comparing them doesn't necessarily make sense right?

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I find the second screen works pretty well. Then again, I've only played one or two games on it at a club (money's a little tight for me at the moment and like people have said, the Wii U has almost no games), and those used the second screen to show things that nobody else could see. Like that ghost game, where you could see where you were but nobody else could.

Single-player will probably be kinda odd, but I imagine when we get more games based around the second screen, we'll at least like the idea.

Maerx said:
Cancer grows on you, but that doesn't make it a good thing.
*facepalm* It's an expression.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Grey Carter said:
Miyamoto: Wii U's Second Screen Will Grow On You

So, basically it's a tumor?

I quite like the image of the Wii U being a secret mosh trainer produced by a cabal of metal legends.
"will grow on you"
you start playing it and after a while it latches itself on to you like the Venom parasite (don't remember the name atm) and before you know you're a tellytubby with analogs and buttons to the sides

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has won me completely. Having a completely clear screen is beautiful. Adjustable interface on the touch screen is also a nice touch. I can see the HD with the clear UI.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
It takes time for consumers to get over 2 screens.

*****, please. People are clever enough to imagine for themselves what holding a tablet with buttons and an analog, that controls a video game console on a TV screen, would seem like. Heck, I sat there playing my gameboy AND watched kids tv shows for years when I was younger.

It's more that most people are smart enough to know it's not worth investing the money on something like that. At least, not with the current line up of games.

There was a period when we first released the Nintendo DS that people would say there's no way people can look at two screens at once,
I don't recall reading or hearing this at all. As far as I'm aware, people welcomed that console with open arms.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Let me guess, the next xbox's always online requirement will grow on us as well and there will come a day that we can't imagine life without being constantly connected. The problem both companies are having is that they had a good thing with the xbox, xbox 360, gamecube, and wii but they decided to change things even though what they had worked perfectly well. Not all change is good, both companies were on a nice flat stretch of road but they decided that was boring and are now driving down an unpaved path littered with trees and rocks.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Snowblindblitz said:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has won me completely. Having a completely clear screen is beautiful. Adjustable interface on the touch screen is also a nice touch. I can see the HD with the clear UI.
Yeah, great example. Having a screen clear of any disturbances such as a mini map, HP, allies and such is actually a delight. This is especially clear on the 3DS version where the screens are small.

OT: While I love the Wii U they really need to get on making some games. Nintendo Land is the most fun I have had with a multiplayer game since Mario Party was good (that's a long time), but it's not enough to sell consoles. They should have made sure to have some better first part title ready when it came out, but I think too much effort has gone into releasing 3DS games.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
He has a point. I have a Wii U and I must admit that the second screen has already become second nature to me. If I run out of juice on the GamePad and have to switch to the "classic" controller to keep playing, I feel like there is something missing.

I think that the second screen is not the problem with Wii U. The lack of titles is the problem. Where are the system sellers. I am having a blast with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, LEGO City, ZombiU and a bunch of other games, but you can hardly call them "system sellers"...

Get your act together, Nintendo, start launching high quality, high profile, AAA system sellers for your consoles and get the 3rd parties to release their upcoming games on Wii U, instead of ports from 1-2 year old titles. It's not like the Wii U can't run Battlefield 4 and the rest... If they run on Xbox360 or PS3, they surely run on the more powerful Wii U...

Really like the second screen, though. And off-TV play is great too. It's not possible to realize how useful it is, unless you "live" with the console for a couple of days. For a married man with a newborn baby, like me, it is extremely useful.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
so far, I think MH3U is the best use of the gamepad screen, guess what unique functionality it brings? nothing, nothing at all.

that probaby seems a wierd thing to say but it works in its favor, the gamepad screen isn't being utilized for any bullshit gimmick so it can focus on pure convenience.

the ENTIRE touchscreen is customizable, any UI element on the TV screen can be placed on the touchscreen, want to get rid of the UI entirely? place your HP/stamina/time, map, team status, and item bar on the touch screen. want to use it as inventory management? place the button to quickuse items, combine items, and manage ammo on the touch screen. want to use it to manage your minions and other players? use the gestures, chat, map, team status, and "ping" buttons on the bottom screen.

the touchscreen does nothing that can't be done anywhere else, but it can do anything that can be done elsewhere, and it's saved me from being nommed by a deviljho more than once thanks to the quick use items making dung bombs easily accessible :p

in short, my opinion is that the best use of the gamepad is when it isn't required, and the touchscreen is used as a bunch of shortcut buttons, it needs to complement the game without being crowbarred in, if a game can be played fully with the pro controller, and the gamepad brings convenience, then that is a good use of the gamepad, if it forces you to take attention away from the game to do an annoying lockpicking game, that is bad use. (of course that only applies if the use of the second screen isn't the whole point of the game)

edit: incidentally, MH3U has actually increased sales of WiiU units by 125% in the UK, now imagine when first party games get released :p

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
How hard is it to understand that one shouldn't have to look away from their screen when playing? You know how well players who have to look at their keyboards, to see where the controls are, to play a PC game do?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
The problem isn't in the system as much as it's in the games. Most of them are ports that people already have for one of the other systems.
Another problem is how quickly it's losing out on exclusives. Rayman should have been out last month and Razor's Edge was supposed to be exclusive to the U until November. The big problem is that a huge chunk of the games out and being announced are "Ultimate" editions of older games like Need for Speed, Arkham City, Mass Effect and, I think Monster Hunter 3 (I'm not well versed in that series so I'll preemptively amend that here to "Deus Ex"). Exclusives titles like Mario Bros U and, Lego City Underground are great but they can't be the only incentive to get a brand new console.

Final thought: Injustice is out next week and while that's multiplatform, more people are going to go in for the PS3 & 360 versions by virtue of those two giving the option of getting a collector's edition. No U games that I know of have offered up collector's editions yet and while that isn't the most powerful draw, not including that option is going to make a buying decision that much easier for people with multiple platforms.