MKX has microtransactions for easy fatalaties

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Dlc/Easy-Fatalities/7738bde4-0cf0-4be7-9dc8-b149858e3268

Yeah...

On one hand, technically it's not making it easier for the player who buys this to defeat his opponent. From what I know, fatalities are available once the opponent is already defeated.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
You could also gain these Easy Fatality tokens through the Krypt using in-game currency, if one really desired.

Seems like a pointless addition to the game to me. And insulting for those who struggle with fatalities. I suppose there's some solace in the fact that you can get those EZ tokens through in-game currency, that and fatalities themselves don't affect gameplay since they occur once the matches are over.

On the surface, it reminds me somewhat of GTA5's microtransactions. But without having played the game yet, I can't tell how hard it would be to gather krypt tokens.

Still, the entire thing seems completely unnecessary to me.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
That is completely idiotic.

Not the easy fatalities, that's fine. Setting it as DLC instead of just adding it as an option into the game is. There's no reason to pay wall something that's designed for people unfamiliar with the game, that's just scummy.

Not to mention making them have a limit of uses, that's just horse shit.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
So this is not a joke? er ok on the one hand its the kind of DLC I dont mind as it really adds nothing to the game or takes anything away (im guessing they havent changed the fatality inputs to something stupid like Ivys whip throw). On the other hand its pretty money grubbing if it was on its own without any other DLC I really would not have a problem but they have horrendous DLC plans by witholding characters to be released soon after the game is and this just adds another straw to that annoyance. I know MK has always traded on style and content over solid gameplay especially before 9 and X but this while innofensive on its own could set a worrying trend if very successful as it stands tho I dont care about this im more annoyed by the `optional` characters being witheld.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Meh... Real men input their fatalities anyway. Though it would be cool if was a cheat code like in Trilogy.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
It really just amounts to a cosmetic feature, don't it?

It's stupid, but hardly game breaking.

Edit - Allow me to revise my previous statement:

This is bullshit. Digital content cannot be finite, except by design and that's a horrible exploitive design.

I'm adding Warner Bros to my shit-list now. Not buying any game published by them any time soon.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I wonder if anybody will actually buy this, I don't even do the fatalities because I just want to get into the next fight not waste time watching X animation for the X time

kissthebottle

Apr 5, 2015
I think that kinda takes away from the charm of MK. Like back in the day, it was super impressive to kick your friend's ass in a match and then BOOM, you bust out a Fatality which was just insult to injury, but also your ass took the time to memorize it and nail the input and execute it. At least for me, personally, that's what made Fatalities so impacting to me as a young gamer, over the top, gratuitous violence aside.

Like even the recent games too, it kinda kills the mood to do one every match. You do it to clown your friends and rub their loss in their faces a little more.

I mean, at least it's not something you HAVE to do. But, I think in a lot of ways that totally cheapens a huge aspect of the competitive nature of the game for me.

SpeedyPineapple

Jan 27, 2015
I would be all for a one-time charge of like $5 to turn on "Easy Fatality Mode" or something like that. If people wanted to buy that, great, yet it doesn't effect the people who don't want it. Harmless.
A microtransaction for each time you want to use an easy fatality? Still harmless, but I don't think anybody is gonna go for it. Too expensive too quick.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
my main problem with any form of micro payments and particularly "free to plays" is difficulty creep.
If it turns out this is remotely profitable then you can look forward to a future where the best fatalities are 500 button presses long and you have .2 seconds to pull them off.... or you could just unlock it for a small fee to support the developers...... also that cool kid with all the best gear that keeps kicking your ass he totally does awesome fatalities all the time!!!!

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
What the fuck is wrong with WB games? Honest question. They're pumping out great games, but then they turn right around and pull some of the shadiest, sketchiest bullshit running. Shadow of Mordor was awesome if imperfect, so why is the PR firm compromising YouTubers? MKX looks badass and is probably set to sell through the roof, so why the ridiculously exploitative DLC?

I totally understand the profit motive and the fact that no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. But this is a company on the rise. I don't understand why they feel the need to compromise their image with all of this underhanded nonsense.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I personally don't care if people want to buy it but I am confused as to exactly why you'd want to when there's a Fatality practice mode.
Seriously, fatalities may be tricky to pull off sometimes but you can practice them as much as you want, that's all I'm hung up on.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Not really all that bothered by this. Like others have said, it's mostly cosmetic. I'm a bit more irked about Goro only being available to people who preordered.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I don't believe these free fatalities are even necessary; all the characters have a fatality unlocked from the start (with a fatality training mode to help) and they aren't hard to input. Mileena for example has down, back, down, back A/X (XBONE/PS4) and if you want there are the faction kills that are holding a shoulder button and putting a directional input.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
*Checks Calendar*

Come off it, Warner! The first was two weeks ago.

Depressing that a $60 game with nearly $40 worth of additional content still gets micro-transactions. I'd be fine with paying $80 up front and being done with it if the game seems sizable enough (and it almost does), but this sort of nickel and diming stupidity makes the thought of showing any support beyond the base price seem like rewarding poor behavior.

And this is why rather than pre-order MKX, I finally bought the "Komplete" edition of the 2011 game for $5 to replace my old PS3 copy.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
This has to be the silliest DLC controversy yet. Someone wants to pay money to easily trigger an animation that has absolutely no effect on gameplay? Fine by me. It's not like the fatalities are all that hard, and even if they were, they don't have any gameplay effect beyond a cosmetic one.

You could argue that it's not in keeping with the legacy of Mortal Kombat. You'd be right, but honestly...who cares?

There are plenty of shady DLC practices out there that are worth grabbing your pitchforks and going after developers. This one...well, this one isn't one of those. This is just a stupid DLC idea that no one with any sense is going to buy. It can be safely ignored.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
lechat said:
my main problem with any form of micro payments and particularly "free to plays" is difficulty creep.
If it turns out this is remotely profitable then you can look forward to a future where the best fatalities are 500 button presses long and you have .2 seconds to pull them off.... or you could just unlock it for a small fee to support the developers...... also that cool kid with all the best gear that keeps kicking your ass he totally does awesome fatalities all the time!!!!
An extreme example but it does mirror my own concerns.
UberGott said:
*Checks Calendar*

Depressing that a $60 game with nearly $40 worth of additional content still gets micro-transactions. I'd be fine with paying $80 up front and being done with it if the game seems sizable enough (and it almost does), but this sort of nickel and diming stupidity makes the thought of showing any support beyond the base price seem like rewarding poor behavior.

And this is why rather than pre-order MKX, I finally bought the "Komplete" edition of the 2011 game for $5 to replace my old PS3 copy.
I think this is the real issue its not peoples problems so much with this particular microtransaction but the fact that this sort of stuff is creeping into full priced games WITH locked characters that you have to pay more for on top (well have to if you want to play them ofc because the money you spent on the full priced game was not enough obviously).

I just feel people are getting sick of this it just feels cheap and like they are continually begging for more money and it just gets tiring. They are basically just exploiting the goodwill people somehow have towards the franchise for an extra few bucks.

As I said I personally dont care to much about this particular inclusion it more like an extra wrinkle in the package that would be stronger with its absence but the selling of extra characters so soon after its launch is an absolutely abhorrent practice that needs to stop and the main reason I will not support this game on launch and instead wait until the Komplete edition is reduced.

I like many just want to pay my money and get a full game one thats not missing `additional` content and one that does not have microtransactions (regardless of what they do). If they wanted to add DLC in say 9 months or a years time then fine but definitely not within the first 6 months.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
not much for fighting outside of SSB so I dont have much say on this but it sounds rather stupid and quite the neon bright money grab