MLB 2K12 Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
MLB 2K12 Review

It?s not a perfect game, but it?s pretty good.

Read Full Article

Dec 28, 2011
to honestly consider the escapist knowledgable with sports and qualified enough to do a good sports game review is like trusting a crackhead with fort fucking knox

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
D.W.M.A Swag Meister said:
to honestly consider the escapist knowledgable with sports and qualified enough to do a good sports game review is like trusting a crackhead with fort fucking knox
Why? I'm baseball fan, and have played more baseball videogames than I can count. What are you basing your erroneous assumption on?

Greg

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Even if I didn't trust Mr. Tito's sports credentials (any doubts for me, frankly, were alleviated at the first mention of words "Red Sox"), there's a kind of broad (and flawed) assumption here that strong knowledge of sports = ability to recognize quality in videogames. All a baseball player or commentator could tell you was how accurately the videogame reflects the sport as it is played, not whether the game mechanics achieving that reflection were implemented appropriately or not.

Dec 28, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Why? I'm baseball fan, and have played more baseball videogames than I can count. What are you basing your erroneous assumption on?

Greg
i trust you then. im just basing that on the community and how very little people here are interested in sports

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Greg Tito said:

Greg
i trust you then. im just basing that on the community and how very little people here are interested in sports
Ah, I understand where you're coming from now. I'm weird for a gamer in that I pay attention to sports like basketball and baseball on an equal level to the amount of time I spend in imaginary worlds.

Greg

bchampnd

Apr 12, 2011
Nice review. I'm happy to see that you haven't shied away from the sports game reviews after the NCAA 12 incident. I'm sure sports games don't get too many hits on here, besides maybe the review for Madden so then all of the anti-sports gamers can check the score and scream and whine about sports games getting high scores even though they're the same game pumped out each year with a roster update and little else, but as someone who puts more hours into sports games than games of any other genre I appreciate the coverage and look for a range of opinions on each year's updates.

I haven't played a 2K baseball game in awhile and, based on reviews from around the web, it looks like the absence of such games from my shelf will continue for another year. In fact, one of the main reasons I switched from 360 to PS3 was to be able to play MLB the Show a few years back.

I think that the reason this game seems to be missing those potentially interesting additions you mentioned near the conclusion of your review is that 2K's licensing deal is up after this year and they know they won't be bidding for another deal going forward. It's a real shame this franchise couldn't keep up the momentum from its days as World Series Baseball on the previous console generation because I remember having a blast with those games. After making the jump to the 360/ps3 it really seemed to go downhill and the addition of the gimmicky right stick controls, particularly for pitching, a few years ago was the nail in the coffin.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The escapist isn't one person? Just listen to the video review. The man knows his stuff.

I'd like to see Greg do a comparison review of 'the show.'

Go Twins!