MLP - Just doesn't make any sense...

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
My Computer tech mentioned something about them when I asked him about establishing a network, but it didn't make any sense...

"A MultiLink Procedure (MLP) must perform the functions of accepting packets from the Packet Layer, distributing those packets across the available DCE or DTE SLPs for transmission to the DTE or DCE SLPs, respectively, and resequencing the packets received from the DTE or DCE SLPs for delivery to the DTE or DCE Packet Layer, respectively."

What the hell does any of this mean? And what does it have to do with making a LAN?

You were expecting ponies weren't you?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
gillnavisingh said:
Yes. Yes, I was. Well played, sir.

And despite being a third-level support guy as my job I have no idea what that alphabet soup you quoted was all about.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH Techmurology! You tricked me!

...... In all seriousness, I have no idea. I'm sure someone else would though.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Tell your tech he really needs to cut down on the jargon when dealing with relative lay-people. And yeah, definitely expected ponies.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
I was going to answer seriously to this thread, but then I saw what you did there. Unless you're really looking for a serious answer...

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
I actually started cursing at my screen when I saw what looked like another "WTF ponies?" thread. Well played, good sir. Well played.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
It's simple really. You just have to spike the packets. This is particularly effective when inserting jacks into Apple machines. There is a slight chance of malfunction, but the rarity of such an occurrence is negligible. Your connection speed may flutter a bit, but it's nothing to shy away from.

WARNING: prolonged use may cause the coolant tank to become gummy and turn an opalescant hue.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
It's simple really. You just have to spike the packets. This is particularly effective when inserting jacks into Apple machines. There is a slight chance of malfunction, but the rarity of such an occurrence is negligible. Your connection speed may flutter a bit, but it's nothing to shy away from.

WARNING: prolonged use may cause the coolant tank to become gummy and turn an opalescant hue.
I'm not sure whether I'm more impressed by the puns or simply the sheer amount of nonsense compressed into a single paragraph.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
gillnavisingh said:
Well, there has been a spike in those treads, so expecting one wouldn't be a rarity.

OT: Gotta give you points for being cleaver. But that's it, my friend. I thought you were going to talk about Maui Land & Pineapple Co

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Neverhoodian said:

Is there a badge you can receive for cleverness in a post? Because you certainly deserve it.

OT: Not the first pony-trap thread I've seen, but not a bad one. Would have worked better if you didn't explicitly spell out the joke at the end of the first post.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008

On a techie-er note, A multilink protocol is only really for bigger servers, if you're installing a LAN you only really need a cheap switch and some Ethernet cables TBH. (not rising to bait)

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
gillnavisingh said:
My Computer tech mentioned something about them when I asked him about establishing a network, but it didn't make any sense...

"A MultiLink Procedure (MLP) must perform the functions of accepting packets from the Packet Layer, distributing those packets across the available DCE or DTE SLPs for transmission to the DTE or DCE SLPs, respectively, and resequencing the packets received from the DTE or DCE SLPs for delivery to the DTE or DCE Packet Layer, respectively."

What the hell does any of this mean? And what does it have to do with making a LAN?

as a current student that sounds like it has to do with the exact system of steps from one computer to another that packets take when sent over a LAN. However, the only reason you would need to go so deep is to analyze the way it's sending packets incase there's a problem that has come up with the packets seeming to go to where they belong but not getting there.

I was expecting ponies . . . well played . . . . you bastard