MLP Review: The Ticket Master (Season 1, Episode 3)

Nov 28, 2007
After the events of the two-parter premiere, Twilight Sparkle (Tara Strong) finds herself relocated to Ponyville in order to be with her new friends. One day, she receives a message from Princess Celestia, who is inviting Twilight and one other person to the Grand Galloping Gala, which is a fairly big deal, akin to being invited to a presidential dinner in the U.S. However, the fact that it is a big deal is essentially the conflict of the episode. With five friends, who is Twilight going to pick to be the one to get the ticket, and how is she supposed to pick one? Well, her friends aren't going to make it any easier, as they each do favors for her in order to try to persuade her to give the extra ticket to them.

This is another fairly basic plot. The idea is a plot that has been done quite a few times before (friend gets something, has multiple friends that want it, and has to pick one, while the friends try to sway favor towards them). On top of that, the end of the episode, while making sense, still feels like a bit of a cop-out. You know those plots where there is an easy solution that is just not considered by the characters? Well, it's the same sort of thing here.

The characterization is, however, one of the good things about the episode. All of the characters get a chance to shine again (although Twilight is still the focus of the episode), and they do so in a more noticeable fashion. Each character gets a scene to themselves, for one thing. While each character got a characterization scene in the first episode, then a scene to showcase their element in the second episode, this is different. The scenes aren't shared with everyone, for one thing, unlike the second episode, which had the entire group together for almost the whole thing. And while the scenes do involve characterization, it's not so much establishing the characterization as developing it. The characters show how their reasons for wanting the second ticket are all different from each other, since no two people, or ponies in this case, have the exact same wants and needs. Also, each character does different favors for Twilight, involving their area of interest. Overall, this is one of the better parts of the episode.

Rainbow Dash is totally not trying to buy her way into the tickets.

The voice acting is...as good as it was in the last episode. Unfortunately, no one really gets a further chance to shine, other than Tara Strong as Twilight. Everyone gets a few scenes, but not enough to really tax the voice actresses. They do a good job with what they have, but other than Tara Strong, not much of them have anything, even the ones that voice two characters.

However, this episode does have a few improvements over the premiere. For one thing, the nature of the show changes closer to a form that most of the show deals with. The premiere was focused on a big threat, taking down somepony threatening to bring eternal night. This one is a step down in scale, dealing with more personal issues. The characterization really helps in that regard, as each character gets a scene or two to show their own personality, while doing a good job of demonstrating that no one character is "more" deserving of the second ticket than the other.

On top of that, there is some more adult humor in this one, as well as some more old school references. For an example of the latter, the entire episode is basically a 22 minute long version of the scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, where various characters try to "buy" a ticket off of the recipient. Towards that end, a bit of the adult humor is slipped in there, where one of the offers from a background pony in exchange for the ticket is "I'll do your taxes!" While that isn't exactly "adult" as in "parents will not want their kids to get it, and wonder where the censors are", it is still a joke only adults would get.

Finally, this is the first episode that really shows that Lauren Faust was aware of the growing adult fandom, and responding to it through the character of Spike. He spends the entire episode denying that he has any interest in going to the Gala, saying he doesn't care about any of that "girly Gala gunk". As for how that is a reaction to the brony fandom...well, that would be spoilers, and River Song would not approve of me revealing it. Overall, this episode is mostly notable for what it represents in terms of the future of the show. More character focused, some noticeable references, and an awareness of the brony fandom. It just has not really been refined, and is a bit rough around the edges.

Overall: 6.5/10

Just in case you didn't believe me about the Willy Wonka reference.

Previously: Friendship is Magic (two-parter) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.403577-MLP-Review-Friendship-is-Magic-Season-1-Episodes-1-and-2]

Next: Applebuck Season [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.403819-MLP-Review-Applebuck-Season-Season-1-Episode-4]

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
thebobmaster said:
*snip*

Finally, this is the first episode that really shows that Lauren Faust was aware of the growing adult fandom, and responding to it through the character of Spike. He spends the entire episode denying that he has any interest in going to the Gala, saying he doesn't care about any of that "girly Gala gunk". As for how that is a reaction to the brony fandom...well, that would be spoilers, and River Song would not approve of me revealing it.

*snip*
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the episodes made long before the season actually started airing? So this early in the first season this episode couldn't have been influenced by the adult fandom at all?
Furthermore, again I could be wrong, but thanks to the episodes made so early in advance wasn't the team only aware of the growing adult fandom by near the end of the airing of the first season as a whole?

Otherwise, can't find a fault with the review. Nicely done. ^_^

Nov 28, 2007
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
thebobmaster said:
*snip*

Finally, this is the first episode that really shows that Lauren Faust was aware of the growing adult fandom, and responding to it through the character of Spike. He spends the entire episode denying that he has any interest in going to the Gala, saying he doesn't care about any of that "girly Gala gunk". As for how that is a reaction to the brony fandom...well, that would be spoilers, and River Song would not approve of me revealing it.

*snip*
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the episodes made long before the season actually started airing? So this early in the first season this episode couldn't have been influenced by the adult fandom at all?
Furthermore, again I could be wrong, but thanks to the episodes made so early in advance wasn't the team only aware of the growing adult fandom by near the end of the airing of the first season as a whole?

That is a possibility, in which case Lauren Faust accurately predicted that there would be an adult fandom, because after watching the episode, I find it hard to believe Spike's role wasn't representative of an adult fandom.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
thebobmaster said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
thebobmaster said:
*snip*

*snip*

That is a possibility, in which case Lauren Faust accurately predicted that there would be an adult fandom, because after watching the episode, I find it hard to believe Spike's role wasn't representative of an adult fandom.
Personally, I'm pretty sure that Spike's just representative of a boy who doesn't want to be seen as into a "girly gala" haha.

As for the episodes being done way in advance, I remembered this from a Season 1 retrospective interview with Lauren Faust. Managed to track it down again, so <url=http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/exclusive-season-1-retrospective.html>have a look if you feel so inclined.

In particular, number 13, where she says that a 22 minute episode took on average about a year from conception to completion. Also in her response to 24 (a question about the brony phenomenon), after talking about how wonderful and amazing the fandom is/was when she first found out about it: "I can't say it affected the direction of the show beyond crossing Derpy's eyes, however. All of Season 1 and the opener for Season 2 were written and underway in production by the time the brony phenomenon took hold. We couldn't change anything at that point."