Mo' Russian

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
The Wooster said:
Clankenbeard said:
The Wooster said:
Hey, so remember that comic project Cory and I were working on? Well the first issue is currently available as part of the Bum Rush Comics lineup. It's called Bad Dad and it's an action comedy about a recently-paroled supervillain and his superhero daughter. The first issue will cost you two bucks, but you can also get it in a five dollar anthology that collects the three other comics in the Bum Rush lineup.
Bought it. Read it. Love it. Want more. Please provide at earliest convenience.
Thanks a lot. There'll be a new issue every month.
I'm down for the long haul. It is actually so refreshing to see a mix of intelligence AND magic in a comic book. There's a witch AND she is doing magic--holy crap, what a novel concept. And it is magic, so the super genius has to adapt. Sooooo many times I have wondered why Zatanna hasn't just teleported the bad guys into a holding pen because,"Duh, magic." Oh, and the car accident--pure gold.

Hey, you Dotards! Quit talking abot Dota 2 and buy that comic book.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Clankenbeard said:
Hey, you Dotards! Quit talking abot Dota 2 and buy that comic book.
SILENCE! I'll have to be looking into how I'll be spending my money this month, Clankenbeard-dono. There are certain games I have my eye on as well as music. Having any more reason to give money could make me destitute.

I suppose you have heard of the power of suggestion? I suggest the judge find you guilty of forcing us to buy instead of lightly suggesting it.

This is the best I could pull off on that term. Sorry if it's kind of not right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Goliath100 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, Kasparov may not be aware of The New Chess [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/8733-The-New-Chess].
This has inspired me to make Escapist Chess.
First: make your move like this:
"e4"
Than say something relevant about the actual subject. Post, and then report your opponent's last comment for low content. First to be mated or loss a comment loses
Do you need legit moves? And is there multiball?

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Me55enger said:
It's very hard to prevent a generalisation of an entire race/country/culture when there are very few examples to dissuade it.

That being said being a dick has no care for colour, creed or country.
I've added plenty of Russians that speak perfect English (albiet with an accent).

Seriously, just add the randoms who turn out to not be terrible and/or assholes. I can put together a team of at least 3 each time I play.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
dunam said:
RandV80 said:
I get the impression that people often use the term 'like chess' in a similar way that older people will refer to all video games as 'Nintendo', like for example in certain sports you'll sometimes here the phrase 'the coaches are playing a chess match' or something like that. Which I hope is the case here people are talking about here, because I felt this way towards Starcraft 2 so never mind MOBA games, but to actually make a direct comparison is kind of insulting to chess.

Basically what it comes down to is that chess is essentially pure strategy. The game itself is so simply that a 5 (or younger) year old can learn it, yet the strategy is so complex that you can spend a life time and never master it. While competitive games like Starcraft are termed 'real time strategy' I find the 'strategy' use can often be pretty light, at least in comparison to chess. Now stay with me here for a second, I don't mean to belittle Starcraft, it's just as a video game there's so much going on. You have you're macro play, which is essentially textbook knowledge and practice through repetition, and micro play, which is more skill/precision & twitch reflexes. If you're say a tier higher in these two aspects than you're opponent, then it doesn't matter they're a 12 year old kid or a legitimate chess grandmaster 9 times out of 10 (or whatever) you're going to win. Strategy of course does come into play when you have two equal players in this regard, which you will at the pro league level, but still I consider the level of strategy to be more on par with poker. So I basically see pro Starcraft players as a combination of Tetris masters and poker all stars, but not chess grand masters. I can't really comment on MOBA players here because I've barely played them, and my bias leans towards the negative side, but I'd think they're on a lesser scale than the Starcraft pro's.

But regardless I'm just ranting here because this has been a pet peeve of mine for a while, it's not that series that I can't love the comic here!
The funny thing is that chess is more tactics than strategy, whereas starcraft 2 is actually rather light on tactics. Starcraft 1 was much fuller on tactics. But it's hard to compare turn-based vs. real-time games. The speed element changes so much. It makes more sense to compare speed chess to starcraft.
There was an article about that on this site a while back, actually. Apparently psychologists traditionally use speed chess for certain areas of research because it requires so many different cognitive processes at once, but they're starting to look at Starcraft 2 as an alternative, because it requires even more cognitive functions than speed chess. I thought that was what that "the new chess" link was about, but it turned out to be a Loading, Ready, Run video. Here's the article about the researchers:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114589-StarCraft-2-Threatens-to-Zerg-Rush-Chess-For-Science

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
I was kind of hoping to see the Heavy from TF2 show up and slam his big hands onto the chess board scolding Erin lol.

All well, still was quite funny. I actually think it'd make chess a lot more interesting if people from around the world had to work together to make the player do better in strategy. Then again, hearing them argue in their own languages would probably just confuse the player like myself since I only speak english :(

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
I play on the EU East servers and there are way less russians on there than on the EU West server. EU East is all super nice serbians that give you commendations if you didn't feed and then invite to into a group for a few matches.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I've had friendly and helpful Russians on my team in the past so I try not to generalise. I actually like to think that there's many friendly Russian players who do their best to type English, or don't type anything at all during a game. But a loud obnoxious Russian is simply impossible to miss, both in written and spoken formats. (Because Cyrillic fonts)