Moar Food!: Faux Pas that drive you crazy.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
When people add layers and layers of butter to their toast/whatever. *shudder*

There's a limit to how much butter one can put on a single slice of bread :S

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Kyrinn said:
Ketchup on hotdogs/sausages. I don't care if pretty much everyone does it IT'S WRONG AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD IF YOU DO IT.
No I'm not crazy *twitch*
This.... So this.

Also, American "cheese". I don't care what anyone says, cheese is aged. It doesn't come from a processing factory. THAT.... is not cheese. It is yellow colored, processed dairy product.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
DustyLion said:
Go to a high price steak house. Ask the waiter for A1.
Exactly. If you go to a restaurant and your steak, ribs, etc. need A1 for you to eat them, then you got a steak that's not fit to eat. Or you're a bastard with no taste buds..

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
Coriander, it tastes like a rubber glove and overpowers all else in the dish. Disgusting.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
I hate Thai food due to Cilantro.... I had a bad experience with it when I was young and now I cannot stand the taste of it.....

As for fries and mayo, that's the french way

Poutine is awesome

I love Hawaiian pizza... but I can't eat Pork anymore so I don't ever order it

And I dislike people who over season.... I admit I do it when anyone in my household (including me) cooks I add extra salt and pepper, but that's only cuz they never add enough for me and I keep mine under seasoned so they enjoy it... that's not bad is it?

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
Garlic.

... People don't put enough of it in food. It's good in just about everything.

Use it more, people. MORE.
Yes! Garlic for everyone! Seriously, since there was a lot of pizza mentions, try it on pizza. I do it and it's awesome! In the right amount it emphasizes the taste of just about anything.

What I don't like to see other people doing to their food is destroying the original taste of their meal - be it with ketchup, mayo, sauce or any other seasoning. It's their food, however, so they are free to do with it as they please.

One thing drives me mad, though. For the love of all things humanity holds dear, DO NOT PUT SUGAR IN MY GREEN TEA! Fruit tea is supposed to be sweet, so a teaspoon or two of sugar is tolerable. I'll even put some honey in my Earl Gray if I'm feeling sick, but if you ever give me my green tea with sugar I will forever think of you as a barbarian and should it be jasmine tea, you better start running...

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
My personal food no-no is salt.

Salt goes on some things. It's even tolerable for me to put it on one or two elements that have already been salted as part of the cooking process. Mashed potatoes, for instance. This is the one food item I do allow myself to salt.

My father, though, is what I'd consider a sodium addict. For one, it's not helping his blood pressure, but he insists that it's part of the normal process of eating. Even if your food has received a lot of salt as part of the cooking process, he'll ask for the salt shaker.
My friend is like that. Friend A went to school to become a chef, and is really good at it, but friend B just pours on the salt and ruins the meal (before even tasting it). The ratio of salt to food ends up being 2:1.

Canadian Rob

Oct 15, 2012
kyuzo3567 said:
I hate Thai food due to Cilantro.... I had a bad experience with it when I was young and now I cannot stand the taste of it.....
Oh Gods Cilantro. For a while it was on EVERYTHING. The stuff tastes like soap, I completely fail to see the appeal.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Pineapple pizza. There's a special place in hell for people who put pineapple on pizza.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Archl said:
Just take a bite from your sate and then some rice. But mixing rice and sauce... that's just wrong.
Why? I mean, it's the best way to get an even mix of delicious. Rice is a great sponge for flavour, especially if you have excess sauce. To be fair though, I tend to mix up the curry meat and such as well. That way every mouthful is a delightful mix of meaty, peanuty, rice-y, spicy goodness.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Additionally, it's not an insult if other people do what they like to food. It's an insult if they try to do it to MY food.
Indeed. As a child it always used to wind me up when people assumed that I'd want tomato ketchup on everything. They always looked at me strange when I said I didn't like it. Whereas I thought it was strange that they'd automatically put it on a meal without asking.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
When restaurants list Swiss cheese on their menu, but give you American cheese that's white. That shit shouldn't even be legal.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
BlackStar42 said:
I once saw someone in a restaurant put ketchup on a roast dinner. YOU DON'T FUCKING DO THAT! That's like putting a moustache on Natalie Portman! Whoever did that, you're bad and you should feel bad!
I don't know why, but the immage of natalie Natalie Portman with a moustache just make me laugh really hard!

When I cook up a masterpiece class dish for someone, and before they even try it, they douse it in something, and then complain about the taste... I'm sorry you don't like the taste of the abomination you turned the food I made for you into, want me to rub your stupid face in it?

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
erttheking said:
My sister dips her French fries in mayo. As someone who loves mayo, I find it disgusting.
Thats how chips should be. It's the European way, and if Americans will insist on calling them "French Fries" then you should bloody eat them the 'French' way you godless heathen North American scumbags.

And whilst we're on Americans - LEARN WHAT CHEESE IS! Dear god that horrific plastic shit you people call cheese is just insulting.

Finally: People who put Ketchup on Mashed Potatoes instead of Gravy. Pretty much anybody who uses ketchup in ANY situation where Gravy is the appropriate covering.

From a chip shop, this does include chips (mayonaise being the prefered alternative if no Gravy is available).

Then again, I'm a Yorkshireman, Gravy is pretty much our national dish (and another thing I've noticed that North Americans are just terrible at making properly).

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
Garlic.

... People don't put enough of it in food. It's good in just about everything.

Use it more, people. MORE.

Fenra said:
Gravy on chips... I just, even the thought of it makes me gag
I... what? You need poutine. Come to Canada, go to Montreal, and order poutine, and that'll change your mind.
exactly. i think that post requires a canadian brofist... which i cant find a picture of. but still, good on you for sharing the beauty that is poutine.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
erttheking said:
My sister dips her French fries in mayo. As someone who loves mayo, I find it disgusting.
I eat my French fries with mayonnaise as well, just like any other Dutchman would. It's as normal here as breathing. When you go to the Burger King, standard issue mayonnaise with your fries is what you're gonna get. On the flip side, putting mayonaisse on a sandwich is a lot less common here.

OT: People who eat sushi without wasabi. I mean, you are missing a vital part of the sushi experience! It's not supposed to be an option! Sushi and wasabi are like Yin and Yang; they can't exist without each other!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
whole bunch of kids that wouldn't be welcome at my table just on principle in this thread.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I'm usually the one disgusting other people. I will put vinegar on ANYTHING (pizza burgers fish-fingers)and I get looks as if I've dropped a concrete slab on their beloved cat Whiskers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MajorTomServo said:
Stop slowly killing yourself because the internet told you to.
Don't worry. We're so food obsessed we have fifty other ways to kill ourselves. This thread is an example.