Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Martintox said:
Silentpony said:
Say what you will about the WW, it was shit, garbage, pathetic, desperate, money-grabbing and stupid and no-one misses it that can't find the same shitposting basically anywhere else.
Silentpony said:
money-grabbing
You're telling me I could have made money in the Wild West? You scoundrels should have told me this sooner!
Not us, the site. Remember you had to pay to get into the WW. It was behind a subscription wall

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Silentpony said:
Drathnoxis said:
Silentpony said:
Wintermute said:
Moviebob is keeping the site alive.
You misspelled Yahtzee. Moviebob can't even keep his own Youtube channel alive, much less an actual site. Hell he was gone for years and the Escapist did just fine
"Just fine."

Honestly Ill take less users and less posts over the Wild West and being known as Diet 4chan any day. Yeah there's less people, but also for a time most of the forum traffic was memers, reposters, trolls and shit posters just trying to get screen captures for Reddit karma.
Say what you will about the WW, it was shit, garbage, pathetic, desperate, money-grabbing and stupid and no-one misses it that can't find the same shitposting basically anywhere else.
I don't know where you got the fantasy that wild west was made to get people to buy the pub club membership. Absolutely no one payed to join the forum.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Martintox said:
Silentpony said:
Not us, the site. Remember you had to pay to get into the WW. It was behind a subscription wall
Oh, you mean the fact that you needed a Publisher's Club membership? Everyone on the website got a membership for free, dude. What, are you telling me you didn't get one or something?
Yeah, they gave it away for free to everyone* at the same time they opened the Wild West. So I'd be surprised if they made any money out of it at all, and if it was their intention for it to make money they went about it completely the wrong way.

*Well, not quite everyone. That persistent banjumper we had at the time didn't get it (remember him?). And therefore he was locked out of the WW, which ended up being the only 'safe' place on the site where you could get away from him.
He left shortly after. (Was the real purpose of the Wild West to make the banjumper go away, all along?)

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Marik2 said:
I don't know where you got the fantasy that wild west was made to get people to buy the pub club membership. Absolutely no one payed to join the forum.
Wasn't Zontar like the only Muppet that actually paid for his Pub Club?

If, then he was subscribed before Wild West was created though.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
bluegate said:
Marik2 said:

Pretty sure he didn't. The people who got the pub club for free were people who had it in the past.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Marik2 said:
bluegate said:
Marik2 said:

Pretty sure he didn't. The people who got the pub club for free were people who had it in the past.
Nope. I never paid for it but someone on the tech team gave it to us for free

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Martintox said:
Silentpony said:
Oh, you mean the fact that you needed a Publisher's Club membership? Everyone on the website got a membership for free, dude. What, are you telling me you didn't get one or something?
No I didn't get one. I only got one years later when the site was going to new owners and I just asked for it

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
There were several factors that affected who got given free Pub Club membership:

Drathnoxis said:
There was a post in the tech group by a mod back when the tech team was sacked. They said they looked at the code and gave the criteria. The post has since been deleted because the group chat keeps rolling back to the start of the year. The criteria can still be confirmed however.

There are at least 3 criteria:
1)The user must have been active within the prior 6 months

-Look at any old thread, you can tell who still logs in because they have no avatar and are "premium members"
Example

2)The user must have been a member for at least 12 months

-Many people came here from Game Trailers several months before the upgrade, they do not have premium accounts.

3)The user must have a certain amount of health left on their health bar

-I'm not sure if it's under 5 or under 7, but MarsAtlas did not get pubclub, at the time MarsAtlas was one tick away from being banned.

As you can see, each criteria can be isolated and confirmed.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Silentpony said:
Martintox said:
Silentpony said:
No I didn't get one. I only got one years later when the site was going to new owners and I just asked for it
I think it was a little while before the new owners came in, when Basement Cat was still in charge. He gave you one, if I recall. Defy still owned the site though.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
Silentpony said:
Martintox said:
Silentpony said:
I think it was a little while before the new owners came in, when Basement Cat was still in charge. He gave you one, if I recall. Defy still owned the site though.
Fair enough, I don't remember exactly when. But my point is that I got one I think years after everyone else. Did someone quit and as a going-away prank they handed them out? I didn't get one then

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Silentpony said:
Wintermute said:
You misspelled Yahtzee. Moviebob can't even keep his own Youtube channel alive, much less an actual site. Hell he was gone for years and the Escapist did just fine
It's funny because it's true. He still has his hardcore fans, but most of the audience dumped due to his bad, hypocritical attitude. His constant put downs and freak outs on Twitter did not help. He has a lot of nerve trying justify any of that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Silentpony said:
CoCage said:
Silentpony said:
Wintermute said:
It's funny because it's true. He still has his hardcore fans, but most of the audience dumped due to his bad, hypocritical attitude. His constant put downs and freak outs on Twitter did not help. He has a lot of nerve trying justify any of that.
I don't have a Twitter, so what's he up to? I remember one of his videos references a tweet about eugenics or something? Something about only certain people should breed and vote? The guy seems like a genuine nutcase along the lines of Boogie2988
I never touched his Twitter after 2014, so I don't know nor care what he's doing now. I was mainly referring to even 4-5 years ago. I don't even have a twitter account.

TopazFusion

Dec 11, 2011
Please keep in mind you're referring to a current content contributor of the site. Constructive criticism is fine, insulting and derogatory labels are not.

Steer this thread back on topic, please.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Silentpony said:
Martintox said:
Silentpony said:
So you just jelly you never got into the WW then?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
bluegate said:
No I legitimately didn't know the WW was a thing until after I got access to it - it never showed up on the dropdown list and no one was allowed to mention it outside of the WW. To average users they had no knowledge of it. And I couldn't believe baby's first 4chan was behind a subscription wall.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Silentpony said:
bluegate said:
No I legitimately didn't know the WW was a thing until after I got access to it - it never showed up on the dropdown list and no one was allowed to mention it outside of the WW. To average users they had no knowledge of it. And I couldn't believe baby's first 4chan was behind a subscription wall.
Makes you wonder how it was supposed to be a "money-grabbing" then, eh? 🤷‍♂️

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
bluegate said:
Silentpony said:
bluegate said:
Because it was behind a paywall. You paid to not have the rules apply

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Silentpony said:
bluegate said:
Silentpony said:
bluegate said:
Because it was behind a paywall. You paid to not have the rules apply
How were you supposed to know to pay up if you weren't already in?

Sounds like the worst money grabbing scheme ever.