Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
MOD EDIT: Join the V2 forums beta today! https://forums.escapistmagazine.com/ Check the announcements thread to get your legacy badge.

I still check the forums multiple times a day, but am usually disappointed to see very little activity on the site. Right now the community page shows 21 online users.

Things are pretty dire. Nearly everybody is gone. Most of the time I'll start thinking about someone I used to like reading comments from and check their profile to find they haven't even logged on in months. But sometimes I'll see posts on the Newscapist ZP or even on Youtube amazingly from people who were banned a long time ago or just left, like DVS BSTrD and Not G. Ivingname and that makes me smile.

So anyway, let's do a poll. They actually do still work, but there's a trick to finding it.

Please vote here: [link]https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/surveys/view/40848[/link]

Not-Mod Edit: Quoted news from later in thread

Nick Calandra said:
Hey all,

Since this thread is pretty active, figured I'd post this update here. After a very long wait, much longer than I had anticipated, the new forums are finally coming together and we we expect to launch them in the next two to three weeks.

This isn't a wishful date either, I'm working on the new forums with tech as we speak to get them ready. They're already up and running, we just gotta get everything prepped on the tech side and we're good.

It's all on modern software and I'm really excited to get them going, but there is a few caveats to getting those new forums started.

1. We ARE going to attempt to migrate things from here over to the new forums, but it will not happen at launch. The software these were built on is very old at this point, and we also have to be VERY careful with the transition to not affect Google rankings. When the site was moved from V1 (this site) to V2, we took a huge hit from that, so this isn't something we can rush.

2. This forum will stay ONLINE and it won't be nuked or anything like that. It will act as an archive until we figure out how we can safely migrate everything over.

3. When you create an account on the new forums, users from this forum will receive a "Legacy" badge. I know it's not the same as having your whole history come with you, but for now it's something.

I personally apologize for how long it has taken to get this done, just lots of projects going on at Enthusiast Gaming (our parent company). My lack of communication is also down to just how busy we've been on the site! We're actually doing quite well and growing, and are even introducing a couple new shows very soon along with our feature-length Darkest Dungeon documentary.

I noticed quite a few comments indicating that we "look down" on this community, but that really isn't the case. I've had my hands tied on getting these forums ready and have been pushing for months to get it done cause I wanna get you all over there and have an active community again.

Anyways, they're finally just about here and I'm looking forward to interacting with you guys more regularly on the updated forums.

I'll look into starting to invite longtime users from here in the next week or so to start testing the forums and providing feedback on things we can add / improve.

Look for that update in the Site Announcements thread on the main forum page.

Thanks all,

Nick
Editor-in-Chief

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
This site has been a glorified user group for about 5 years now.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Marik2 said:
Oh yeah, user groups used to be a thing around here. They were pretty rad back in 2013-2015, you know, when people still posted in them.

Can these forums even be considered active anymore? The forum games, one of the most previously active forums here, is now a literal graveyard. It's almost to the point anyone who posts anymore knows everyone else since there is like forty of us.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Elfgore said:
Can these forums even be considered active anymore? The forum games, one of the most active forums here, is now a literal graveyard. It's almost to the point anyone who posts anymore knows everyone else since there is like forty of us.
This place is so dead I rarely even check there when I do drop by here. Lot of old names I miss, like mPara...

To the extent: will I ever get to 20k? Probably not. Do I care? Even more not. *slow shrug*

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Elfgore said:
Marik2 said:
It's almost to the point anyone who posts anymore knows everyone else since there is like forty of us.
There's like less than 20 now. It was like 30-35 when the wild west was alive. Like it or not, lots of people left or got banned when it closed.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
SckizoBoy said:
Elfgore said:
Can these forums even be considered active anymore? The forum games, one of the most active forums here, is now a literal graveyard. It's almost to the point anyone who posts anymore knows everyone else since there is like forty of us.
This place is so dead I rarely even check there when I do drop by here. Lot of old names I miss, like mPara...

To the extent: will I ever get to 20k? Probably not. Do I care? Even more not. *slow shrug*
You're closer to 20k than I am to 5k. Considering our join dates, I put your chances as better than mine. *shrug*

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's deceased but I like that I can't check the site for over a week and the threads I posted in are still at the top. xD It's the opposite of like Reddit where I think it's pointless to even post anything b/c threads get swarmed right away and no one reads anything beyond the top 3 posts.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I wouldn't consider myself a regular anymore but I have been checking a bit more lately

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Marik2 said:
Like it or not, lots of people left or got banned when it closed.
Lots of people got banned, period. Nothing to do with the wild west. Moderators on The Escapist are some of the most unforgiving that I have ever seen, and with absolutely no regard for the fact that those people are the reason why the website fuckin' works. And their criteria for banning hasn't changed despite the fact that there's barely anyone left. You can't just permaban people and expect to have a community. Why are permabans even a thing is fuckin' beyond me. IMHO, they should unban everyone. But if the powers that be aren't interested in having a community, then that's on them. They just shouldn't expect to survive much longer.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Adam Jensen said:
Marik2 said:
Lots of people got banned, period. Nothing to do with the wild west. Moderators on The Escapist are some of the most unforgiving that I have ever seen, and with absolutely no regard for the fact that those people are the reason why the website fuckin' works. And their criteria for banning hasn't changed despite the fact that there's barely anyone left. You can't just permaban people and expect to have a community. Why are permabans even a thing is fuckin' beyond me. IMHO, they should unban everyone. But if the powers that be aren't interested in having a community, then that's on them. They just shouldn't expect to survive much longer.
Unbanning people wouldn't do anything at this point. I doubt the banned people even still check the place. They should have gotten rid of permaban years ago.

Also there's only like 3 mods who have logged on in the past month.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Not that many people left, but then it's been a dwindling group for these last five or so years.

I wonder if the new management will even ever bother with a new forum. How many new people signed up here ever since the website relaunched as V2? How many people would they expect to come to the new forums when they finally launch? Chances are it'll be the same graveyard that this forum is turning into.

Maybe if they included forum threads as comments under articles on the main website, but then again, not too many people seem to be commenting on those as-is... People would probably just paste the relevant part in whatever discussion group they are already apart of and discus it with people there rather than on here.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm still around. Maybe activity here will increase once they port the forum to the new site.

No, just kidding. They aren't gonna.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
bluegate said:
I wonder if the new management will even ever bother with a new forum.
Good question. They keep saying they'll do it, but it keeps getting delayed.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I try to check in on the place at least once a day, not that there's much to moderate these days.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
IceForce said:
bluegate said:
I was just wondering about that the other day. We didn't even get a monthly update either. Not the best sign ever. The fact JoJo is pointing out there isn't much to moderate also says something. I used to check here daily, but some days I don't check at all. Unless I'm keeping an eye on a thread, I could check this place weekly and probably not miss much.

I was hoping the V2 forum would be here by now. If it came hot off the heels of the V2 site then I think it would've helped a lot. But since it's been this long, it might just release and flop with a wet splat

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Adam Jensen said:
Marik2 said:
That, I actually can weigh in on. Ultimately, the concept of the permaban is for those who demonstrate that they have no desire to be a member of the community. This naturally includes no-brainers like spambots and people who cross a major line (eg, doxxers, people who advocate legitimately criminal acts, etc.), but it also includes those who grossly violate a site's TOS (eg, spamming inappropriate images) and those who consistently show overt and excessive contempt for other users. Basically it's something for people who cross the line between surly and anti-social, becoming the figurative spoiled apple that ruins the bunch. Whether due to the user's extreme acts or their persistent unwillingness to moderate their behavior to fit the community's rules, the permaban reflects that since the person is/has become a bad fit for the community (and indeed, often have a negative impact on it), they are no longer welcome.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
bluegate said:
I wonder if the new management will even ever bother with a new forum. How many new people signed up here ever since the website relaunched as V2? How many people would they expect to come to the new forums when they finally launch? Chances are it'll be the same graveyard that this forum is turning into.
I remember when the "Sanctuary" thing was made as a hopeful alternative. I can't even find my posts there, I think I got purged out or something. Account and name doesn't exist there either. You're still active on there it seems... Any idea what happened?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Asita said:
Adam Jensen said:
Marik2 said:
That, I actually can weigh in on. Ultimately, the concept of the permaban is for those who demonstrate that they have no desire to be a member of the community. This naturally includes no-brainers like spambots and people who cross a major line (eg, doxxers, people who advocate legitimately criminal acts, etc.), but it also includes those who grossly violate a site's TOS (eg, spamming inappropriate images) and those who consistently show overt and excessive contempt for other users. Basically it's something for people who cross the line between surly and anti-social, becoming the figurative spoiled apple that ruins the bunch. Whether due to the user's extreme acts or their persistent unwillingness to moderate their behavior to fit the community's rules, the permaban reflects that since the person is/has become a bad fit for the community (and indeed, often have a negative impact on it), they are no longer welcome.
I think the Escapist's more unique take on moderation, tho, was that 8 petty offenses could add up to a perma-ban. I'm actually a fan of perma-bans, cuz contrary to what some folks think, some other folks do deserve it. However, 8 petty offenses don't add up to equal that. That was never a very good system.

OT: Semi-active.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
IceForce said:
bluegate said:
Yeah. It's been like a year or so at this point since the site got New Management, right? And now the forums are shuffled off to the side with nothing to replace them other then some Disqus threads for the front page articles.

For a moment I thought the forums had been dropped, and then I realized there's a link WAY DOWN at the bottom of the front page. And I can't even find a decent way to reach Current Events other then going through the stub in Off Topic, because it's STILL not listed in the dropdown.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm semi-active. If I am not on this forum, then I am usually on two other sites forums that are very active.