Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
Hey all,

Since this thread is pretty active, figured I'd post this update here. After a very long wait, much longer than I had anticipated, the new forums are finally coming together and we we expect to launch them in the next two to three weeks.

This isn't a wishful date either, I'm working on the new forums with tech as we speak to get them ready. They're already up and running, we just gotta get everything prepped on the tech side and we're good.

It's all on modern software and I'm really excited to get them going, but there is a few caveats to getting those new forums started.

1. We ARE going to attempt to migrate things from here over to the new forums, but it will not happen at launch. The software these were built on is very old at this point, and we also have to be VERY careful with the transition to not affect Google rankings. When the site was moved from V1 (this site) to V2, we took a huge hit from that, so this isn't something we can rush.

2. This forum will stay ONLINE and it won't be nuked or anything like that. It will act as an archive until we figure out how we can safely migrate everything over.

3. When you create an account on the new forums, users from this forum will receive a "Legacy" badge. I know it's not the same as having your whole history come with you, but for now it's something.

I personally apologize for how long it has taken to get this done, just lots of projects going on at Enthusiast Gaming (our parent company). My lack of communication is also down to just how busy we've been on the site! We're actually doing quite well and growing, and are even introducing a couple new shows very soon along with our feature-length Darkest Dungeon documentary.

I noticed quite a few comments indicating that we "look down" on this community, but that really isn't the case. I've had my hands tied on getting these forums ready and have been pushing for months to get it done cause I wanna get you all over there and have an active community again.

Anyways, they're finally just about here and I'm looking forward to interacting with you guys more regularly on the updated forums.

I'll look into starting to invite longtime users from here in the next week or so to start testing the forums and providing feedback on things we can add / improve.

Look for that update in the Site Announcements thread on the main forum page.

Thanks all,

Nick
Editor-in-Chief
Is the plan to migrate everything over to the new forums including user accounts eventually or will the only option ever be to make new accounts? I don't even think I have the original email I had when I made an account on here anymore if it is linked via email as my old ISP no longer exists. I for one would much rather have my account transferred eventually instead of make a new one. Usually it is the hassle of having to make a new account that prevents me from joining in elsewhere tbh... I usually just don't bother doing it.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
bluegate said:
SckizoBoy said:
FYI

https://forums.escapistmagazine.com/threads/start-transitioning-from-v1-to-v2.48/

Nick Calandra said:
Hey all,

So while V1 is going to remain up and online, soon it's going to be an archive site. So I'm going to advise that we start creating all new threads here going forward, because the more stuff we do over there, the more we will have to mess with moving over here at some point when the migration attempt happens.

I understand it's hard to let go of that old site, but if you want to make sure all your progress, content and history is saved, it needs to start going here.

Thanks!
Do yourself and the forum a favour and don't migrate posts or threads over to the new one, no use in filling it up with hundreds of thousands of ghost posts.

It will only make the new forum look cluttered and broken 🤷
When they're migrated, they'll be migrated into archived subforums. It's just so we can completely get off V1 and direct all traffic to V2. Not gonna fill the brand new subforums with all the stuff from here.
Oh. Disappointed. When the other forums I frequented upgraded, they took everything, current threads, users, history.. everything over to their new format so nothing changed on my end. I still just logged in as usual and continued whatever conversation I was having without interruption.