The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Now we'll see Jack Thompson gloat over his supposed "success" within a week

Damn i wanted to see an awesome troll war between Valve and Jack Thompson :(

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Drummie666 said:

Now Jack will say that Newell told them to take down the mod and they did so and Jack won't learn anything!
*sigh* yea. I hate to think it, but you're right. Jack will see this a a personal victory and will honestly think that he was responsible for it's removal.

nintendoeats

Jan 27, 2010
I would be kind of annoyed about this, except that the mod looks like attention seeking garbage.I find it hard to defend people who aren't really trying to accomplish anything beyond being attacked.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
Once again, gaming flinches at the first threat of controversy.

I agree it was in poor taste, but there are plenty of films that are in poor taste, yet they reinforce the artistic freedom of the medium. (I'm looking at you, Inglourious Basterds.)
There is NO expression of artistic freedom in this. Read the guy's interview. He's not an artist.

OT: This is how it should be.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
At first I was going to say it was a shame that they gave into the demands of people like Jack Thompson, even if the game is horrid, but after hearing from the game's creator, I have to approve of what ModDB did. I like free speech and all, but sometimes there needs to be a line.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
While I don't like that Loony Thompson was the one to instigate this given that he has no clue where half the media he attacks comes from.

I agree the mod is in highly poor taste. But then I disagree with ALOT of things I'm just too lazy to march my personal army (see: a dachshund and Pokemon figurine collection) upon the hapless souls who craft objects of my ire.

It has the right to exist, but if ModDB doesn't want that rep I don't effing blame them. Take that crap off your listings pronto.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Always a but isn't there? We're all for freedom of expression. But. An oxymoron that always bothered me that.

Still, hadn't had plans to play the thing anyway, still feels that for all the times games like GTA, Mortal Kombat, Postal et al. are defended it comes off as people sitting on a scale with regards to what they're willing to allow with fiction, replete with points at which they think things have gone too far.

I'm not expecting people to defend the content, just that they stick to their principles (if indeed they claim freedom of speech or expression as one of those), and yes, that means taking the shit with the gold. What you feel comfortable with and what makes you want to vomit. And again, you are under no obligation to view on consume any material with which you find offensive.

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
Hey, no one is saying this game can't be made... but it is pretty obvious that he is going to have trouble finding an engine, a publisher, financiers and such... People don't want to be a part of this, and as much as it is his right to make it, it is their right to say "I don't want ANYTHING to do with this."
So by all means, bro, go ahead and make your game. But instead of using other peoples' work to create a mod, now you need to build the game yourself. OH HOW TRAGIC.
Good luck finding support for something like this.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
While I don't like that Loony Thompson was the one to instigate this given that he has no clue where half the media he attacks comes from.

I agree the mod is in highly poor taste. But then I disagree with ALOT of things I'm just too lazy to march my personal army (see: a dachshund and Pokemon figurine collection) upon the hapless souls who craft objects of my ire.

It has the right to exist, but if ModDB doesn't want that rep I don't effing blame them. Take that crap off your listings pronto.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Yay, robbing people of the chance to see and evaluate the thing for themselves, that's how to tell ignorant banhappy offended hysterics to respect plurality of opinion!

...not that it'll hurt the thing. By the looks of it controversy is pretty much the only thing it's got going for it, and like other similarly crude games such as Rapelay, it'll only take off after the banhappy offended crowd provided it with invaluable marketing.

So congratulations to the hapless puritans for doing just the exact opposite of what they want, by spreading knowledge of and interest in this previously utterly insignificant game far and wide.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
This isn't just a small controversy. This is something that no one should want to see. It's not just "this is in bad taste because it's a game", it's something that would be in bad taste in any medium.

I wouldn't want to watch a movie where some guy went on a shooting rampage in a school. I wouldn't even want to read a book about it or look at a painting of it. This isn't freedom of artistic expression, this is just completely crossing the line.

As gamers, we stand up for our medium when a game is harassed because of the medium it is. For example, when a war game is trying to portray a very specific battle with very specific people. In a movie, it would be acceptable, but in a game it would be controversial. This is where we stand up for games. But if it's something that no one would ever want to see in any situation EVER, then it's crossed the line.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Also don't forget that ModDB is NOT at the beck and call of 1 modder and must look at the interests of the majority who release content on their site. Also lawless squirrel, how can you claim if you didn't know any back story this would be a survival horror? The UNARMED, NON-AGGRESSIVE students flee at the sight of you and NEVER attack no matter how many you gun down. The entire mod is in poor taste and the developer is not doing this to expand the medium but as a slap in the face to people everywhere.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Indeed, if the kid wants people to play it then let him distribute it on his own so that he can take all the shit for it.

Also, since Gabe Newell never did do anything (not like he could) did Jack Thompson ever follow up on his threat?
He probably took all the credit for it being taken down and is now taking paypal donations for his humanitarian efforts.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
"Anyone who wants to be a school shooter, but is too big of a pussy to actually do anything."

thats the deciding factor, right there.

Im pretty sure if Al Quieda had training programs on the site, they would take those down as well. Free speech or not....

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
The mod being taken down is good, but the fact that Jack Thompson will now believe he was right is bad.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Why not let the fact that it is kind of retarded and wasn't any good take care of itself instead of letting someone like Jake Thompson think he has any power?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Another interviewer at Beefjack.com [http://beefjack.com/features/interview-checkerboarded-studios-on-school-shooter/] asked Pawnstick who the intended audience of School Shooter is and he replied, "Anyone who wants to be a school shooter, but is too big of a pussy to actually do anything."
The man is a psycho. I cannot understand anyone who tries to defend this garbage at this point.

Sure, he's allowed to make it, but I'm equally allowed to call it the scummy dregs of "gaming" (I can't really bring myself to call this trash a game) and vocalize my opinion that this mod should never have been conceptualized or developed, and hope it will never be released.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Bretty said:
I am glad this was taken down.

This is just as lame and pointless as Rapelay IMO.
Did you actually play Rapelay?
The story itself is no more than a 5 minute thing, after that it's just a sex simulator. Honestly if it wasn't for the title you'd never know.

This on the other hand is just pretty fucked up.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
"We believe in the right to free speech, but we're going to go out of our way to stop them from saying this."

Above: Logic.

(For the record, I personally found the game to be interesting, but ultimately tasteless. I in no way was a "supporter" of it, but it still had the right to be made).