Modder Creates Amazing Dreamcast Handheld

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
I can't remember what the site was called, but it had instructions on how to turn ANY console at all into a hand held that could be used anywhere, however it would cost $150 in materials and it would obviously void the warranty of the system if it still had it. The page of info was just text and pictures, was insanely long and complicated to boot, but it'd be easy enough to find over google I assume.

This Dreamcast version however is a lot sleeker than most of the hand held remakes out there, though I'd think that has more to do with the amount of effort put in by the person in question than the actual process of reconstruction.

Apr 28, 2008
Ah the Dreamcast. The last console for gamers.

How I love you.

Sega should find this guy, find out how he did all this, then re-release the Dreamcast in handheld form.

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I would also buy this in a heartbeat. The dreamcast was the first console I owned by myself. It was awesome. How the controller used to give me blisters and how I owned everything in the world ever on soul calibur.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I WANT TO BUY IT SO BAD.

My Dreamcast just went kaput last year, I would kill to have one in my possession again.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
That was rather impressive that one guy was able to mod a dreamcast into a nice, funkadelic machine like that.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
That indeed does look very impressive and I praise the creator for the work and technical knowledge that was required to make something like this. That said, it wouldn't make a very good retail product. In many ways, it reminds me of the Sega Game Gear and Atari Lynx; graphically proficient, but too large and bulky to be very portable. Plus, while I cannot claim such a thing as fact, I would honestly be suprised if it doesn't eat through batteries like a hog (similarly to the previously mentioned handhelds).

Nevertheless, an impressive achievement.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Tom Phoenix said:
That indeed does look very impressive and I praise the creator for the work and technical knowledge that was required to make something like this. That said, it wouldn't make a very good retail product. In many ways, it reminds me of the Sega Game Gear and Atari Lynx; graphically proficient, but too large and bulky to be very portable. Plus, while I cannot claim such a thing as fact, I would honestly be suprised if it doesn't eat through batteries like a hog (similarly to the previously mentioned handhelds).

Nevertheless, an impressive achievement.
If you get a decent battery it'll be alright, and also said it can be hooked up into a TV. I think it's more just making the Dreamcast more portable. Batterys nowdays are like RAM, and any technology. You get more bang for the size.

Fenolio

May 22, 2009
*Twitch*Portable.*Twitch* Powerstone?!
TAKE MY FIRST BORN CHILD! JUST GIVE ME THAT DEVICE!

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
tomtom94 said:
You know what I think? Sega should contact the guy, find out how he did it, and put a limited number into mainstream production.
And develop a couple of "new" games.
And then I can go fly away with Tinkerbell and Peter Pan to Neverland. *sigh* Ah well.

That is firstly a great achievement in itself to compress the console like that but also the fact it looks good (if chunky, but that's to be expected) is excellent.

(In ten years will we be talking about someone who did this to a 360?)
Well there are already 360 laptops. http://benheck.com/xbox-360-laptop-3-elite. Though I do not believe that we will have 360 handhelds for a while.

jaeger138

Jun 27, 2009
Isn't the Dreamcast still popular in Japan? I'm sure they still make games for it there or has that stopped now? Wouldn't be surprised if a few of these end up getting handed out as prizes in Famitsu somewhere down the line as limited edition items or something.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Irridium said:

How I love you...
Actually that title goes to the Gamecube. Sorry dude. And as the Dreamcast could connect to the internet, it really shouldn't be considered a Traditional Gamers console.

Apr 28, 2008
antigodoflife said:
Irridium said:

How I love you...
Actually that title goes to the Gamecube. Sorry dude. And as the Dreamcast could connect to the internet, it really shouldn't be considered a Traditional Gamers console.
It was the last one for gamers. The Gamecube was marketed more as a family-friendly console. While the PS2/Xbox and beyond are merely multimedia devices that happen to also play games.

The Dreamcast was the last console for people who were already gamers, rather than the Gamecube and others either a console trying to bring in new gamers, or a multimedia device.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Hey someone should send this to Sony so they can be inspired to make a PSP2 that can use PS2 games. I want to see a Gamecube mod like that too.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
ioxles said:
tomtom94 said:
(In ten years will we be talking about someone who did this to a 360?)
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/17/xbox-360-laptop-mk2/

Your wish has been retroactively granted.

Edit: http://benheck.com/02-03-2008/xbox-360-elite-laptop

Can I buy this? Is this online? Does he take credit cards? WHERE CAN I FIND THIS MAN?!