Modders Create Skyrim Shrine for Fallen Gamer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Modders Create Skyrim Shrine for Fallen Gamer

Modders have created a special mod adding an NPC and an in-game shrine to honor a gamer who passed away in 2013.

Death is one of those things that's both universal but also different for everyone. When someone in your life passes there's no telling how you're going to respond. Some simply take time and grieve. Others go about their daily business, using the normalcy of a routine to help them cope and work past the pain of losing the deceased. Some, meanwhile, turn to video games. When Reddit user Lastrogu3 lost his brother Taylor, for instance, one thing he did to cope make some meaningful visits to the frosty lands of Skyrim.

in touch with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/modders>a group of modders who crafted a small mod adding a shrine near the city of Riften dedicated to Taylor and his character, the dark elf Bear. The mod apparently also adds an NPC version of Bear who will visit the shrine from time to time and be present in the game's Sovngarde section.

Taylor's death occurred in 2013 as a result of a drowning accident. He had been wake boarding on a river and was pulled underwater after a rope tying his board to his ankle got caught on some submerged tree roots. Adding further salt to the wound, Taylor had just gotten married "less than a month" before the accident. Skyrim fans interested in visiting Taylor's shrine and paying their own personal tribute can download the mod here.

Source: <a href=http://www.reddit.com/user/lastrogu3>Reddit

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Wow, what a beautiful tribute to a Skyrim fan. :´(
Many bad things happening in the world. But sometimes people make me believe in humanity again.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
That is why you don't attach yourself to sporting equipment. If you lose track of it during play, let it go. Same thing with capes and anything else that is not skin tight. It's almost enough to make one go nudist.

OT: While this is touching and all, I can't help but think that memorials in games are becoming less noteworthy considering they are popping up everywhere.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Well I've downloaded the mod! Seems like something that just belongs in my Skyrim, to be honest. Not only is it something the Nords would do, it's something that makes sense for me, too, being Catholic and believing in prayer for the dead. Now every time I go by there, I'll remember.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I am actually going to download and play Skyrim again and make sure this goes in somewhere...tranquil.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Man... a tragic story but an incredible way to remember a loved one. Thanks for this coming together to help remember one of our own gaming community!

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
And, the mod is now in my world. I don't go by there much, and I don't explore much of Sovngarde, but he can at least continue to live on in my world.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Stories like this remind me that the gaming community has a lot of great people in it. There can't be anything more painful than losing a sibling.

I don't have Skyrim for PC, but I would visit the memorial if I did.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Really glad they didn't hold the memorial in an MMO or something though. We all know what happened when a group tried to do that last time in WoW. XP

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
snekadid said:
That is why you don't attach yourself to sporting equipment. If you lose track of it during play, let it go. Same thing with capes and anything else that is not skin tight. It's almost enough to make one go nudist.

OT: While this is touching and all, I can't help but think that memorials in games are becoming less noteworthy considering they are popping up everywhere.
Really? You felt the need to post...any of this?

Wow.

Back on topic: I think the most touching bit is that he just sits there and watches the scene as his brother last saw it. Very nice. I'll definitely be checking the mod out, too. Always can use an excuse to play Skyrim. :-D

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Really glad they didn't hold the memorial in an MMO or something though. We all know what happened when a group tried to do that last time in WoW. XP
Uhhh....I...I actually don't know. I'm kind of afraid to ask, but...what happened?

Nov 28, 2007
Nooners said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Uhhh....I...I actually don't know. I'm kind of afraid to ask, but...what happened?
Basically, a bunch of PvPers crashed the funeral and massacred everyone.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
thebobmaster said:
Nooners said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Basically, a bunch of PvPers crashed the funeral and massacred everyone.
That was ... 10 years ago, almost, if I recall the incident aright?

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
XenoScifi said:
I am actually going to download and play Skyrim again and make sure this goes in somewhere...tranquil.
It is already placed at the aforementioned spot, so, please, don't move it or the spirit won't be able to visit.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Nooners said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Well a Horde player guild passed away in real life. His guild decided to hold an in-game funeral for him. One of their members would log into his account and bring his character to the funeral location. But then they made two crucial mistakes. First they decided to hold in a contested area (where PVP is allowed) so that people from the Alliance side could come as well. Secondly they went and announced it on their realm forums, thus ensuring that every douche on their server knew about it.

They made a video about it.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Why is less than a month in quotations?

Didnt Borderlands 2 do something similar as well with a fan who passed away?