Modding and Steam.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Hi!
I'm a big Total War fan, and I would really like to try out the Total War mods (like the new Zelda mod or the Warhammer mod), one problem; I got the games using steam.
Any idea how I can mod it then, since there aren't any specific "Total War" apps and maps (same goes for any steam-game), just one datafile named "Total War - Blah blah"?
Is it possible at all?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
There is no problem modding Steam games, they aren't just one big file...

The files are located in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\

Then whatever Total War game you're playing.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
The only games ive modded on steam are Fallout 3 + New Vegas, so im not really sure about the Total War games. Although for modding those games it was pretty much a case of dragging and dropping files into the steam folder. If i were you i'd go onto a total war forum or a modding forum, you'll probably get a faster/more helpful response.

Although likely by the time i post this some total war modder will have replied and i'll be forced to eat me words xD

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What DazZ said. Make a backup of your game first, though, in case something goes wrong. (There's an easy Steam function for that in the file menu.)

Octorok

May 28, 2009
You don't even have to make a backup - rightclicking on a game in the Steam library, going to properties, local files, you can verify the game cache, which will check if all the right files are there and "fix" the game for you.

Total War mods are just fine, MOSTLY. Some of the older mods have issues running on Steam. It's rarely impossible, but some mods for older games will be tricky to get running.

There are too many mods too name worth trying, but I do recommend the greatest Total War conversion mod ever made - Third age : Total War.

An extensive (and I mean extensive) Medieval 2 mod that puts you into Middle Earth.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Octorok said:
There are too many mods too name worth trying, but I do recommend the greatest Total War conversion mod ever made - Third age : Total War.

An extensive (and I mean extensive) Medieval 2 mod that puts you into Middle Earth.
I have only played it at a friends house (sadly), but third age is great. I need to reinstall my copy of M2:TW

@OP: Just to be sure, but you kinda sounded like you wanted that: You can't intall a Mod for medieval 2 on Empire or something like that. You need to stick with mods for the Total War game you have.
The Mods you named are for Medieval 2 and that wasn't on Steam, as far as I know.
If I'm talking bullshit, nvm.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
lacktheknack said:
What DazZ said. Make a backup of your game first, though, in case something goes wrong. (There's an easy Steam function for that in the file menu.)
Yeah, but it doesn't work very well, just copy the game folder found in the steamapps/username/common folder (for non source engine games ames games, it's the steamapps/username folder for source games). The problem is that the backup utility will stop working if the backed up files are over a few Gigabyte's.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ratix2 said:
lacktheknack said:
Yeah, but it doesn't work very well, just copy the game folder found in the steamapps/username/common folder (for non source engine games ames games, it's the steamapps/username folder for source games). The problem is that the backup utility will stop working if the backed up files are over a few Gigabyte's.
Weird, I've never had that issue. I have Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas all backed up, that's more than 20 GB, and they all still restore when I screw up.

But, to be safe, apparently cache verification also works, so use that. Backup is faster, though, if it works.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
CorvusFerreum said:
Octorok said:

I have only played it at a friends house (sadly), but third age is great. I need to reinstall my copy of M2:TW

@OP: Just to be sure, but you kinda sounded like you wanted that: You can't intall a Mod for medieval 2 on Empire or something like that. You need to stick with mods for the Total War game you have.
The Mods you named are for Medieval 2 and that wasn't on Steam, as far as I know.
If I'm talking bullshit, nvm.
All TW games can be found on Steam, and they recently had a big package sale. I will try this out, thanks to everyone who's replied. I'm really dying to try out the Warhammer mod.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Huh, well, I have M2:TWK on steam, and I put the Hyrule file in the "...common/medieval ii total war/mods" folder and its not allowing me to view it. When I try the shortcut, it says I'm missing 'kingdoms.exe.'
Does anyone have any help for this rather technically-knowledgeable noobie?