Modding single player Mass Effect 3 bans you from Origin

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/344/index/9917845/2#10648995

Previously I didn't care about Origin, it just seemed like Steam but slightly worse. However after this I can't endorse it's use to anyone.

Disgusting behaviour from EA, they truly are ruining the industry.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Lagao said:
Sorry is single player that hard for you?

Do you need someone to hold your hand or make you invincible?

If you need to mod the game in anyway, I laugh at you.

It's easy enough.
Mods generally add content or fix bugs - there's not much point in a mod to adjust the difficulty down in an easy game that has two different kinds of easy mode.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
@Lagao not all mods are "cheats" some are aimed at adding content. For example there was a mod for ME2 that added more gear to wear.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Lagao said:

It's easy enough.
Modding the game does not equal cheating - it could be any amount of mods - texture mods, changing files to unlock better AA or make the game run smoother.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Isn't it possible the mod the console versions as well? Correct me if I'm wrong.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Karutomaru said:
I think they have they have the right to do that. Tampering with their game is a betrayal of trust... Unless they actively encourage it to the point of releasing a mod pack like Valve or Skyrim.
So now as well as this whole artistic integrity shit, modding a game is now a "betrayal of trust" to the developers?

What ridiculous bullshit.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Karutomaru said:
I think they have they have the right to do that. Tampering with their game is a betrayal of trust... Unless they actively encourage it to the point of releasing a mod pack like Valve or Skyrim.
Your "trollin" right...right...oh god your being serious.

How is it a "betrayal of trust" in no way has the mod affected online and thus other players. CounterStrike, Team Fortress, Killing Floor all games that began as mods, heck Minecraft started as an Infiminer mod and later expanded into its current form.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Lagao said:

It's easy enough.
Most of the mods for Mass Effect are texture fixes because of how low res and shitty looking some of the uniforms are. If that's considered cheating then I'd hate to see how you'd react to a god mode hack.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is ludicrous. I am sorry but when I purchase a product from someone I expect to be able to do with it what I will within the confines of the law. EA can kindly go to hell.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Would like more info on what the mod in question was purported to do. On the face of it, it seems kind of ludicrously draconian. But then, it is EA.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Uhh were is the problem in this?

-The game belongs to EA/Bioware
-They have the right to say no modding SP

Again, where is the problem?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Lagao said:

It's easy enough.
Karutomaru said:
Not all mods are simple "win everything" hacks, you know. Counter-Strike began as a mod. Team Fortress began as a mod. Killing Floor began as a mod. All of these went on to be commercially successful standalone titles due to their popularity. Let's not forget all the awesome Skyrim mods, either:

Killing mod support like this kills creativity and shuts the door for tons of potentially awesome user created content (like an alternate ending, perhaps?).

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Karutomaru said:
You have every right to modify any and all files you download. Being banned for modding Coalesced.bin is ludicrous. Especially when you consider that most do so to tweak performance, such as changing the FoV.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Karutomaru said:
Yeah, how dare those players use their creativity and programming skills to create content of their own! Everybody knows that creativity is the sole purview of corporations! The entitlement!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
wintercoat said:
You have every right to modify any and all files you download. Being banned for modding Coalesced.bin is ludicrous. Especially when you consider that most do so to tweak performance, such as changing the FoV.
Not unless the EULA says you can, or the developers say that you can regardless of the EULA.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
wintercoat said:
Not unless the EULA says you can, or the developers say that you can regardless of the EULA.
Are EULA's even legally binding in theory?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SajuukKhar said:
wintercoat said:
I didn't buy the game on Origin (360 version here) but unless they made you sign a EULA BEFORE you purchased the product they have no right to do this, but then again there is some shady legal stuff behind Origin anyway. Its best to avoid it all together if you want to buy video games as actual products instead of renting them for an undisclosed amount of time.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
endtherapture said:
SajuukKhar said:
wintercoat said:
Are EULA's even legally binding in theory?
Not really. And I've never heard of a case where somebody was taken to court over installing better textures.