Modern games that prove graphics don't make a game good

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
Binding Of Isaac. I've spent more hours playing it than I have Skyrim, or at least it feels thst way.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

People wouldn't give two cents of attention to say Crysis if it weren't for the graphics.
Crysis is gameplay wise, one of the most advanced and best shooters of the generation.

If you say otherwise you simply haven't played the game.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Everything by Introversion Software.

Seriously, their second game has a long pre-rendered intro specifically to raise the file size so people wouldn't think there was an error in installing it, which was a problem with their first. Available on Steam, GoG (except Darwinia) and their website, for all PC platforms.

[/fanboy]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Any good recent game I play on my PC. I have to put most of the settings down so most of them look like shit anyway.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Of course good graphics help, but good character design can be more important.
Also when the graphics is too good but buggy, then it loses its worth.
Then I would prefer a less advanced graphic but non buggy, non freezing game instead.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Graphics can help a good game but a game isn't always good simply because of graphics.

There are quite a few games out there that people love and have poor to average graphics. The popularity of Indie games where quite a few of them look like games we had back in the 80's.

Good gameplay, story and characters help as well. I'd settle for good gameplay and a mediocre story sometimes.

Of course I do like it if I find a game that looks and plays good.

Although graphics are somewhat important to me. Some Indie games really do look like games I played in the 80's and I didn't spend all that money on my gaming rig to play Manic Miner 2012.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
It all depends on the type of game, an arcade style game certainly doesn't need Crysis level graphics to be fun, and having them won't necessarily make a better gaming experience, but for most other types of games better graphics will improve gameplay experience.

Your enjoyment of any game will improve with better graphics. People say Minecraft proves you don't need realistic graphics to have a good game, but I played it quite a while in the default settings, and eventually decided to add a higher definition texture pack, which rocketed my enjoyment of the game immensely, for the first time I stood and gawped at the sun rise, for the first time creepers looked properly creepy and abominable, zombies looked horrifying, whereas before they were just threatening blocks. My buildings and creations looked far better, my houses cozier.
My immersion skyrocketed with that update in graphical fidelity, and I experienced exactly the same thing (to a slightly lesser extent) When improved Skyrim's graphics.

Look at the mods for Skyrim, the top ones are pretty much all graphics mods for higher textures, and the popularity of Minecraft HD texture packs. Clearly there is something to be gained from having better graphics.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, if your game is pants then having flawless graphics will not turn it into a great game, but it does have it's importance in issues of immersion and appreciation.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Mysterious Username said:
I always here about how people think graphics are the only thing that matters, but I have yet to see someone who actually thinks that. It's like it's some kind of theoretical strawman that everyone is convinced exists, but it actually just a figment of our fears of developers misunderstandings of what gamers want.

On topic, every great classic console game.
Apparently as a PC gamer it's all I care about.

Hang on while I go play Minecraft for a bit and think about how all I care about is graphics.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

People wouldn't give two cents of attention to say Crysis if it weren't for the graphics.
Well i had a lot of fun with crysis one. it was no masterpiece but the abilities were fun to use.
It was not a great game but i liked it a lot more than, say, modern warfare 2.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Skyrim is a good one. It looks great on occasions, on others it's about the same level as Halo 3 (Which did age well in some aspects)

Minecraft is a giant "Hello look at me"

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
While I'm not sure on the definition of recent or modern, but there are many roguelikes that are updated regularly that, while some would say they have primitive graphics compared to modern games, most modern games could be said to have primitive gameplay compared to roguelikes. That said, I haven't played many roguelikes besides Nethack and Dwarf Fortress.
Also, Minecraft, as has been said.

Pfheonix

Apr 3, 2010
Amaror said:
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

Well i had a lot of fun with crysis one. it was no masterpiece but the abilities were fun to use.
Honestly, Crysis was awesome. Its multiplayer wasn't so great, but to be fair I was terribad at it, so that might have had something to do with it. But I loved the single player, and loading mod maps was always interesting. And, as you said, it is so much better than Call of Shit: Modern Scumbag 2. Yeah, not beating around the bush with that one.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
fnlrpa said:
maybe not on this site, but I have met a bunch of people at school who hated some games because "the graphics are not as good as call of duty"
and there's your first clue they don't know what they're talking about and should probably start disregarding they're opinions on what qualify for good games

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Amaror said:
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

I'm not saying Crysis is a bad game, but it does get overblown because of the graphics IMO.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
I'm going to have to go with the obvious example of Minecraft, or Dwarf Fortress (not exactly sure on when it first came out, but the fact that it's being regularly updated makes it modern enough), which has text based graphics and ends up being a unique and memorable experience, partially because of the lack of fancy models or sprites.

Although I must argue that despite graphics not being an indicator of quality, good graphics can enhance the experience of a game. For example, Metro 2033 would not been nearly as effective without the outstanding graphics.
I would argue that Minecraft Graphics are pretty good and really add to the effect of the game. Of all recent games, that's probably one of the ones where the graphics contribute most to how good the game is.
I'm not trying to single you out, I figured a lot of people would say Minecraft when I saw the title and came to give that reply. Your's was the first reply I saw to use Minecraft, as an example, hence the quote.

On topic: almost any PSP game. A lot of the time the graphics aren't that great but that doesn't really matter. And until a few years ago that really worked to its advantage because their was a lot more innovation in the games than on home consoles where the big budgets needed for the great graphics required less risk

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
Mysterious Username said:
I always here about how people think graphics are the only thing that matters, but I have yet to see someone who actually thinks that. It's like it's some kind of theoretical strawman that everyone is convinced exists, but it actually just a figment of our fears of developers misunderstandings of what gamers want.

On topic, every great classic console game.
Apparently as a PC gamer it's all I care about.

Hang on while I go play Minecraft for a bit and think about how all I care about is graphics.
I didn't mention PC classics because I've never played most of them.
But you are correct, I should have mentioned them. I forget my pile of freeware titles. >.>