Modern Masters 2015 Draft Themes

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Modern Masters 2015 Draft Themes

Some initial thoughts on Modern Masters 2015.

Read Full Article

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
It's an interesting set but I do worry that they've printed enough of the Green ramp into-eldrazi stuff that that and draft-all-the-Lightning Bolts will dominate the limited game.

Still, I checked the spoilers, saw that the Jund Eldrazi drones are printed to run a deck and my brain stopped.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
ForumSafari said:
It's an interesting set but I do worry that they've printed enough of the Green ramp into-eldrazi stuff that that and draft-all-the-Lightning Bolts will dominate the limited game.

Still, I checked the spoilers, saw that the Jund Eldrazi drones are printed to run a deck and my brain stopped.
Lightning Bolt is an uncommon in MM2, so it's highly unlikely anyone will be able to draft multiples, much less a majority. And the Eldrazi theme bothers me (or would if I had the money to draft this). I don't know of anyone in my area who found Annihilator to be a fun mechanic, and by extension there wasn't much love for the RoE draft environment. The only thing I can figure is that they probably wanted to reprint the Titans because of Battle for Zendikar, but they also didn't want to bring that mechanic back in a format that will be widely drafted.
Still, as one of those crazy people that wants to build Top Control for modern, the Spellskite reprint has me psyched.
Also, apparently Goblin War Paint is the only Aura in the set that can activate Daybreak Coronet.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Oh joy, Eldrazi are back. Mana ramp til annihilator and the quick burn decks to counter that nonsense, with perhaps a smattering of token decks as an alternative for things to just sack when the Eldrazi hit the field. Doesn't seem like a lot of fun to deal with them again.

I am interested in some of those blue and green cards though. Maybe rework some of them into a commander deck after draft season and prices drop.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Not mentioning what "Modern Masters" actually is makes this article somewhat inaccessible to more casual players, of which I am one. I am interested in Magic discussions, but not inclined to do extra reading to understand what is being discussed.

Also, you are not paying your proof-reader enough.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
I've never played storm. It would be cool to draft it.
It was an archetype in the first Modern Masters and in the MTGO only Vintage Masters draft. Storm seems more like a constructed archetype, draft seems too high variance in what you can get since you need certain cards to get going.

Anyway, looking at the spoilers, it seems like they did keep the archetypes less conspicuous this time but that was one of the things I quite liked about the first, it felt more ordered while this feels more of a hodge podge.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
EeviStev said:
Not mentioning what "Modern Masters" actually is makes this article somewhat inaccessible to more casual players, of which I am one. I am interested in Magic discussions, but not inclined to do extra reading to understand what is being discussed.

Also, you are not paying your proof-reader enough.
Oh come on if you want to discuss magic you really ought to do some background reading. Modern Masters is a high-cost draft only expansion set, it's made up of Modern staple cards and other cards to round the set out.

Oh and Bitterblossom for some reason.

ccggenius12 said:
Lightning Bolt is an uncommon in MM2, so it's highly unlikely anyone will be able to draft multiples, much less a majority.
Yeah, on second glance there isn't enough burn to back it up. I had the first spoilers open for some reason so I thought that this had got a print alongside all of the burn from MMA.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Isn't the Tarmogoyf in this one again?

Dunno about getting this pack since I play commander.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
RaikuFA said:

Yeah, ol' Goyf's back in there, along with quite a few other Modern staples. Except Liliana of the Veil and Snapcaster Mager, since they didn't reprint anything as recent as Innistrad.

The packs are going to be 10+, so as usual you're better off buying singles if you're wanting to do something specific.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:

Yeah, ol' Goyf's back in there, along with quite a few other Modern staples. Except Liliana of the Veil and Snapcaster Mager, since they didn't reprint anything as recent as Innistrad.

The packs are going to be 10+, so as usual you're better off buying singles if you're wanting to do something specific.
Well my Bdays a month later. I bought one pack with the original and got Divinity of Pride who sits in my drain BW deck... with pride of course.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
RaikuFA said:
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:

Well my Bdays a month later. I bought one pack with the original and got Divinity of Pride who sits in my drain BW deck... with pride of course.
Oh I'm not saying you can't get fun things, it's just an expensive gamble, lol. I mean, I opened one recently and got Cryptic Command.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:

Oh I'm not saying you can't get fun things, it's just an expensive gamble, lol. I mean, I opened one recently and got Cryptic Command.
Lucky you. I just let my luck help me. The other day I got a few FR and DoT packs and got Ugin, Sarkham and Narset.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Lucky you. I just let my luck help me. The other day I got a few FR and DoT packs and got Ugin, Sarkham and Narset.
I'd take you're luck, lol, since out of the 5 or so I've opened, that was the only one that was value.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:
I'd take you're luck, lol, since out of the 5 or so I've opened, that was the only one that was value.
After that, I've expunged my luck. Any packs I buy in the next couple weeks will have nothing but junk rares. Like One with Nothing level bad.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
RaikuFA said:
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:
After that, I've expunged my luck. Any packs I buy in the next couple weeks will have nothing but junk rares. Like One with Nothing level bad.
One with Nothing is actually great for Delve/Grave Recursion strategies... Keep a 1 land hand, that, and all of those fun creature cards. Then you get rid of all of those things and proceed to top deck you're way to victory!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ccggenius12 said:
ForumSafari said:
Also, apparently Goblin War Paint is the only Aura in the set that can activate Daybreak Coronet.
Well technically you could [mtg_card=Daybreak Coronet] your [mtg_card=Splinter Twin]ed creature and/or you could make it work with [mtg_card=Vigean Graftmage] + [mtg_card=Narcolepsy], but I suspect they wanted [mtg_card=Daybreak Coronet] in the set and specifically wanted to make sure it wasn't normally going to be a thing in draft or sealed.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Slycne said:
It's a bit off topic, but have you ever thought about doing a deck building challenge for one of these, and picking out your favorite brews and talking about them?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
JaceArveduin said:
Slycne said:
It's a bit off topic, but have you ever thought about doing a deck building challenge for one of these, and picking out your favorite brews and talking about them?
That's an interesting idea. Might be fun to do at the next big rotation.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:
JaceArveduin said:
RaikuFA said:
One with Nothing is actually great for Delve/Grave Recursion strategies... Keep a 1 land hand, that, and all of those fun creature cards. Then you get rid of all of those things and proceed to top deck you're way to victory!
Or a Hellbent deck. Still shouldn't be a rare. A uncommon at least.