Modern Warfare 2 Easily 2009's Top Game

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I find it hilarious that MewTwo is the only one on that list that's not a Nintendo game.

But really, why the hell did they have to make that image so goddammed tiny? It's only slightly bigger than the one on the link. I had to thrust my face into my screen just to read it.

Chunklin

Dec 16, 2009
teisjm said:
Chunklin said:
Meh, it's not as good as the sales make out.

Less killstreaks, less balance issues, longer single player, and not using 'Prestige' to lengthen the game, and we might have had a winner.
How does prestige "lengthen" the game, in a genre we're the multiplayer part is usually just shoot-n00bs-till-the-game-bores-you?
Which FPS games have "longer" online multiplayer? and how so?
I mean, how would you determine length of online multiplayer? it's not like theres a final boss you beat and then you're done or anything.

As for the balance, half of it is actual issues, the other half is simply group-whining. I mean, every other weapon/tactic is OP/imba/n00b according to the people who die to it.

Cold blooded takes care of most kill streaks.

Haven't played SP yet, but i trust everyone when they say it's very short.
I didn't really explain myself about the prestige well.

It's just a dick measuring tool. You can stay at Lvl 70 with all the weapons and unlocks, but that'll get old fast, once you've got all the weapons after a few weeks you won't play it as much. If you give people a mode where they show others that they've done this shit 10 whole times then they're gonna stick around on the game longer to make themselves feel better than they actually are.

I never said that the Killstreaks were overpowered, I'm saying that there was too much to choose from, the Harrier was unnessescary as is the Stealth Bomber, it's like stuffing a chocolate cake with too much filling and leaving a dry sensation in your mouth.

Please try and argue as to how the Akimbo Shotguns isn't OP, it's stupid having someone run around with two fucking shotguns but to then make them usable at mid range and pretty much 1-hit KO is an ear fuck.

And SP is about 4-5 hours. It's a very good 4-5 hours, but still too short.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Good God! #2, Wii game #3, Wii game #4, Wii game #5, Wii game.

That sure is surprizing, but then again I guess its to be expected.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
rockingnic said:
These numbers only give you how many wanted it before it came out. They don't, however, tell you how many traded back/sold their game or tell you how many still play. Like what my economics teacher says, they're numbers but what do they mean?
They mean that the world is going to be overrun by people trying to copy Soap's haircut.

A worse fate, I cannot imagine.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Best selling game? Undoubtably. Best game? Not a chance.

Personally my top game of 2009 was either Dragon Age: Origins or Left 4 Dead 2.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Please, amend that title. MW2 may be 2009's top-selling game, but it hardly is the top game. If anything, it's towards the bottom.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
are we seriously surprised at this? i mean, i saw this coming from the first time they announced the stupid thing that all the gamers would save their money for the thing

hee hee, i just figured out how to do this. BTW, No Russian.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee i hate mw2 , i bought the game on release day but can't stand multiplayer and single player was too short , they should stick to a multiplayer game only... next game please

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
"Gee, it's almost like consumers have finite resources to spend on these things or something."

hahaha so true
too true in fact...so much so, I may not be buying any games (used or new, mayyybe older used games) until after summer really...gotta save up

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
That said:
or they hate Bobby Kotick and decided to boycott it after the whole non-dedicated severs fiasco, or does that not apply to Japan?
Imagine the fun with all the lag you'd get from the matchmaking being too stupid to realize that a host in the US is not suitable for a Japanese user...

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
Eh...

I don't hate Modern Warfare II, while I don't personally consider it the best game of 2009 I would grant that I'd probably have to place it in the top ten if I sat down and really thought about it.

Personally the biggest issue for me is that I don't really play multiplayer, and the single player campaign sure as shit isn't worth the $60 that new-release games default to.

I'm going to buy it eventually, but that will be in a year or so when its hit the $30 bargain rack.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yes it is software but does wii fit really class as a game?

IT is true about there only being so many games you can buy. I'm really interested in AVP but I can't justify another game having bought 5 since September.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Chunklin said:
teisjm said:
Chunklin said:

Less killstreaks, less balance issues, longer single player, and not using 'Prestige' to lengthen the game, and we might have had a winner.
How does prestige "lengthen" the game, in a genre we're the multiplayer part is usually just shoot-n00bs-till-the-game-bores-you?
I mean, how would you determine length of online multiplayer? it's not like theres a final boss you beat and then you're done or anything.

As for the balance, half of it is actual issues, the other half is simply group-whining. I mean, every other weapon/tactic is OP/imba/n00b according to the people who die to it.

It's just a dick measuring tool. You can stay at Lvl 70 with all the weapons and unlocks, but that'll get old fast, once you've got all the weapons after a few weeks you won't play it as much. If you give people a mode where they show others that they've done this shit 10 whole times then they're gonna stick around on the game longer to make themselves feel better than they actually are.

I never said that the Killstreaks were overpowered, I'm saying that there was too much to choose from, the Harrier was unnessescary as is the Stealth Bomber, it's like stuffing a chocolate cake with too much filling and leaving a dry sensation in your mouth.

Please try and argue as to how the Akimbo Shotguns isn't OP, it's stupid having someone run around with two fucking shotguns but to then make them usable at mid range and pretty much 1-hit KO is an ear fuck.

I'll give you that prestige is partly a e-peen enlarger, but there is actually something mroe to it. Every other prestige rank grants you an extra custom class slot, so if you prestige all the way to ten, you'll have 10 costum slots instead of 5. Theres also new challenges.

I we have different oppinions on the kill streaks, i love that theres so many of them. I don't really understand how thats a bad thing, you say they're not overpowered, so it's not like peopel using them against you is the bad part as far as i can tell (are you sure you even played the game, your reasonable thoughts doens't fit the average "everything is OP and made to piss me off buu-huu"-whinetard who plays online) But how is it bad to have lots of stuff to choose from? youc an go UAV, air strike, chopper just like in COD4, or you can ake all sorts of other stuff. It's like the guns, many of them are not that different from each other, but it's the little differences, and your abillity to pick what fits you personally that make me like the game. The variety in unlocks, weapons, perks, attachments, killstreaks etc. is what make sthe game stand out from other FPS's to me.

Akimbo 1887's are prolly OP, i haven't used them a lot yet, so i don't know for sure, but they seem like it. The akimbo rangers can't hit shit if it's more than 5m away though.

If you ask me, they should nerf the tube a little bit, and nerf the accuracy/range on the akimbo 1887's. then they should fix their damn matchmaking/online and/or make dedicaaed servers, cause it's pretty poor atm. Then they would've moved form good to really good game.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Apparently the Japanese never get tired of playing the same old shit.... seriously, more pokemon games...dear lord.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
But they're not really games are they...? Nobody can consider the Wii a 'gaming' console in all seriousness. Its more like a mobile phone gaming platform.

Chunklin

Dec 16, 2009
teisjm said:
Chunklin said:
teisjm said:
Chunklin said:

I'll give you that prestige is partly a e-peen enlarger, but there is actually something mroe to it. Every other prestige rank grants you an extra custom class slot, so if you prestige all the way to ten, you'll have 10 costum slots instead of 5. Theres also new challenges.

I we have different oppinions on the kill streaks, i love that theres so many of them. I don't really understand how thats a bad thing, you say they're not overpowered, so it's not like peopel using them against you is the bad part as far as i can tell (are you sure you even played the game, your reasonable thoughts doens't fit the average "everything is OP and made to piss me off buu-huu"-whinetard who plays online) But how is it bad to have lots of stuff to choose from? youc an go UAV, air strike, chopper just like in COD4, or you can ake all sorts of other stuff. It's like the guns, many of them are not that different from each other, but it's the little differences, and your abillity to pick what fits you personally that make me like the game. The variety in unlocks, weapons, perks, attachments, killstreaks etc. is what make sthe game stand out from other FPS's to me.

Akimbo 1887's are prolly OP, i haven't used them a lot yet, so i don't know for sure, but they seem like it. The akimbo rangers can't hit shit if it's more than 5m away though.

If you ask me, they should nerf the tube a little bit, and nerf the accuracy/range on the akimbo 1887's. then they should fix their damn matchmaking/online and/or make dedicaaed servers, cause it's pretty poor atm. Then they would've moved form good to really good game.
I appreciate your thoughts, and am glad we managed to have a discussion without debating who's mother is fatter.

I do play the game on two accounts, a normal one and a knife only account, I just don't take the game seriously enough to cry about it ;)

sidereal_day

Feb 5, 2010
Wandrecanada said:
It's almost like economists don't understand general ecology. If they did maybe the morons running large companies and investors in said companies would understand why inflation happens, what it means and why no company can ever grow indefinitely.

Closed system is closed.
Economists know very well why inflation happens. In fact, they talk at great lengths about why and how it happens (I've sat through more than one lecture on it as an economics undergrad). What are you talking about?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
sidereal_day said:
Wandrecanada said:
It's almost like economists don't understand general ecology. If they did maybe the morons running large companies and investors in said companies would understand why inflation happens, what it means and why no company can ever grow indefinitely.

Closed system is closed.
Economists know very well why inflation happens. In fact, they talk at great lengths about why and how it happens (I've sat through more than one lecture on it as an economics undergrad). What are you talking about?
The earth is a closed system and too often economics majors ignore that fact. This affects judgment where undervalued work and resources are concerned. Adding a price tag to something based on the perceived value of an imaginary 'market' does not denote the true normalized value of something. Even a base understanding of ecology, and the core sciences that uphold it's principles, is a minimum requirement of assessing true value in a closed system like the world we live on.

It's too easy to discount the very act of 350 million humans in the US drinking water everyday as a non-factor in global trading let alone how outsourcing to slave labor and sweatshops will affect your own economy in the long term. This kind of ignorance is what leads people to the absolute greed and repugnant behavior demonstrated even so recently by the financial pirates that ran the world economy into the ground for the past decade and more.

The only travesty worse than what those who took advantage of the people for greed's sake is that the general population doesn't even know why or how it was done. They don't know that these people are still in charge of their finances and they are still willing to trust these companies and the people [still] in charge.

A fool and his money are soon parted I guess.