Modern Warfare 2 Kicks UK Sales Record's Ass

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Littaly said:
Say hello to your new price tag on Activision games UK ^^
Not likely, no shops have been selling it over £40, the supermarkets have been clsoer to £30 or less. Activision rrp plan < Good old Capitalist price wars.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Bloody Hell, Bugger Me, Holy Shit...

Yeah, I like Holy Shit the most.

And yeah, I got my copy, finished it today, and my friends are going to buy the game when they get some money.

Gonna be awesome, love it so much.

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
No surprise to me.
More than half my friends on psn has the game and frankly I can't wait to get the game myself but I would rather wait until I find a cheap Prestige package of the game.
[small]*Fantasizing about having nightvision goggles* [/small] :)

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I'm not suprised, is anyone else?

The British expression for "Holy Crap!" generally tends to be either "Oh my!" or "Bloody Hell!"

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
British for holy crap, is "My Word"

And this doesnt surprise me. I went to one of my local midnight openings, HMV and Game right next door to each other. There were easily about 500 people there throughout the night so yeah, this really doesnt surprise me. does it really surrise anyone? i mean come on, we were all expecting this to be bigger than everything in the history of ever

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
This is a BAD thing people, Activision was charging 10 Pounds More than the equivalent NA retail price in England, BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WOULD SELL. Yes that's right, England has just validated Activisions belief that they can charge whatever the hell they want and the dumb consumers won't give a crap.

So yes, hooray.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I'm really not surprised to hear how many it sold. I wonder how many shelled out the extra cash for the Prestige edition?

I had no idea that it was going so cheap. I may have to go hunting...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
This is a BAD thing people, Activision was charging 10 Pounds More than the equivalent NA retail price in England, BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WOULD SELL. Yes that's right, England has just validated Activisions belief that they can charge whatever the hell they want and the dumb consumers won't give a crap.

So yes, hooray.
Except if what most people wrote is to be believed, most people got it for less than most PC games sell for these days - stories of £26 and £32 sales, compared to the possible £50 Activision wanted to sell it for.

That's very nearly half price.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
Except if what most people wrote is to be believed, most people got it for less than most PC games sell for these days - stories of £26 and £32 sales, compared to the possible £50 Activision wanted to sell it for.

So... wait, retailers are going against recommended pricing? Really?

This might actually be a good thing, can anyone corroborate this with figures?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Wow. I'm simultaneously trying to figure out why we needed the image of one sales record sexually abusing another, and attempting to scrub aforementioned image from my mind. The Thatcher pic was disincentive enough to continue reading without the register-tape rape.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Littaly said:
Say hello to your new price tag on Activision games UK ^^
Not likely, no shops have been selling it over £40, the supermarkets have been clsoer to £30 or less. Activision rrp plan < Good old Capitalist price wars.
Ah, gratz on counter-screwing Activision then I guess ^^

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I think if I'm translating correctly the British term for "holy crap," is "holy crap."

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Amnestic said:

So... wait, retailers are going against recommended pricing? Really?
Sainsbury's-£26
ASDA-£32
Macro-£18
GAME-£35
HMV-£35
Play.com- £35 with their weird special media pack thing [http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/10109313/Call-Of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2/Product.html], £45 without.
Tesco-£40
Morrisons- £26

As for figures related to sales, couldn't tell you. I don't even know if they collect specific retail sales for supermarkets.

Changing those to dollars is a 1:1.65~ exchange rate and 1:1.11 for euros, so Sainsbury's is approximately $43 and ?28.86

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
CaptainChaosify said:
No surprise to me.
More than half my friends on psn has the game and frankly I can't wait to get the game myself but I would rather wait until I find a cheap Prestige package of the game.
[small]*Fantasizing about having nightvision goggles* [/small] :)
Not gonna happen... sorry bud.

I'm honestly not surprised at this. I mean... If Infinity Ward or Activision let slip even a tiny [small]tiny[/small] little thing about the game, was it ignored? No. It was plastered all over the internet 20 seconds before it was actually said.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"Our UK readers will have to pardon me, as my Brit-slang is rusty: What's British for "holy crap"?"

Fucking hell.

That would be the British equivalent, we don't mince words.