Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So EA, what were you saying about slowly taking away Call of Duty's market share with Battlefield? I bet you're really regretting all that smack talk right about now. Or at least you should be.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm betting CODMW3 is a better game than Pirates of the Caribean 4 was a good movie. there is still hope for our community.

I'm relatively inexperienced at these games, but did enjoy the first level of the campaign.

I think the kind of money the game is making is good for us in that, it has to be interesting investors.

Cronq said:
The only disappointment I have is that this will further discourage any new IP for the next few years. Prepare for another year of bi-monthly brown shooter releases.
That and that some may fear coming out with anything. I know my kids played nothing but Black Ops all Winter last year.

But $750 million in 5 days, I think, must have potential investors drooling, meaning more games. Someone is going to be thinking outside the box realizing these "brown shooters" are crowding the field and that they need to do something very different. And that will be good for us.

Amnestic said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Fortunately, popularity still does not necessarily equal excellent.
AndyFromMonday said:
Amazing how mediocrity is so gratuitously rewarded in the gaming community.
Paragon Fury said:
Well-marketed shit is still shit.
Well, that's pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Having played my roommates copy of MW3, it's exceedingly sad that a game which innovated so little over its predecessors and isn't all that polished as far as multiplayer goes gets such high sales.

For all their talk of wanting games to be new and fresh, it seems that a great deal of gamers are all too happy to pay another £40 for Modern Warfare 2.5.
I was going to argue with you and ask, if it's so mediocre, why is it getting such high review scores. Then I looked at USER reviews vs. the professional reviews. I don't think I have ever seen a larger disconnect between the professionals (around 9) and users (around 5!). I recall a guy getting fired by Gamespot for giving a 6.5 to one of their advertiser's games, but I don't think that explains this near universal disparity.

I think I'm liking it just because I am that inexperienced with this series.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
and in every entertainment medium. I mean, look at music.

Fury Is Me.

Oh, Tasty Tasty.
Feb 20, 2010
Coming soon to the Activision Console:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Russian Deathbomb

*Now with 20% less innovation*

*Earns more money than the entire continent of Europe is worth.*

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Well-marketed shit is still shit Kotick.
Goddamn fucking THIS.

It still amazes me how shit games can sell so well, but THIS is completely unprecedented.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
How immature... Everyone calling CoD shit just 'cos it's repetitive. It's not bad it's repetitive. Also start treating CoD as a brand. A brand where many people recognize a certain aspects. It's like American Idol. High ratings even though people call it shit show and still watches.
By the way if you do not like CoD (like me, after MW2 multiplayer fiasco and Black Ops) do not buy it. See! Easy?!

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
AlphaEcho said:
You beat me to it.

If you talk a bunch of shit about Call of Duty, you are not unique, you are not contrarian, you are not individualistic, and you are not cool, no matter what your friends on your Shin Megami Tensei fanfiction board on FreeForums tell you. You are pure, polished lowest common denominator. You are the target audience of Repo!: The Genetic Opera.

...wow, that was scathing. I guess all the "Am I the only one who hates Call of Duty? threads polluting every forum everywhere ever are actually starting to irritate me a little bit. I'd best say something nice to achieve a sense of karmic balance.

Nier is very, very good. I really think you, the reader, should play it.
If you love CoD and hate the people who dislike it.

You are not cool, you are not amazing, you are not hardcore, you are not cool no matter what your friends in your 6th grade class in your middle school tells you. You are a pure, polished, lowest common denominator. You are a tool. You are the target audience of Repo!: The Genetic Opera.
Your both Wrong!

Your both people with opinions. Neither of you are hardcore or amazing. your just people with different opinions. get over it.

OT: look, everyone is entitled to their opinion. COD knows what it is and does what it wants people too do. make a highly accessible multi-player game and create a bombastic single player set in today's world of fear and confusion. Take it or leave it people

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
fun game. caught me by surprise hours after having poked fun at the game and series.

however, Kotick is one of several reasons I'm just like "umm looks nice but no thanks Activision I'll just save my money for something else"

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
Tbh, this has surprised me as well. To me, all the signs were pointing to an end for the franchise. Of course it would sell well enough, but like the article said, how the hell can this sell a record amount? Where are all these people that keep buying these (in my eyes) inferior shooters like they are a drug addict? I don't know a single one in my group of gaming friends. And I know most of them from the shooter scene...

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
I suppose that if you serve the same thing to eat to people at every meal, you souldn't be surprised if that's all that they want to eat i guess...

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
l3o2828 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Cronq said:
The only disappointment I have is that this will further discourage any new IP for the next few years. Prepare for another year of bi-monthly brown shooter releases.
Quoted for truth.

Who the hell actually believes that COD games are doing good things for this industry?
Probably the people that enjoy it and like what it does.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
Did some quick maths and assuming that it was sold at retail price (55 quid) this works out at about 9 million copies which is frankly ridiculous. -_-

I weep for the gaming industry.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
LetalisK said:
l3o2828 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Cronq said:
Quoted for truth.

Who the hell actually believes that COD games are doing good things for this industry?
Probably the people that enjoy it and like what it does.
I doubt they have the intelect to be critic about the industry and games. BUT WHATEVER I'M JUST A PRETENTIOUS INDIE PLAYER DERP HERP

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
This just in, Moon orbits the Earth. Of course every next CoD will sell well and probably better than it's predecessor. Not to say I like it, it is what it is.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
FamoFunk said:
Sneaky-Pie said:
"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.
What this guy said.

Seriously, I'm finding the Skyrim fanboyism a fuck tonne more annoying than all of this CoD stuff.

If people are going to buy it, Activision will keep pounding out the game every year. You don't have to buy it or play it. It's OK!
Oh and it's popularity can actually kill genres, hey where is my real tactical FPS like SWAT 4 or crazy Arena FPS where there are no ironsights, only ludicrous gibs and insane weapons?

And let's not get started on other dead genres out there....

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Not going to crawl through 10 pages to check if it's been said but at the time when the 7 Harry Potter book and 5th movie had just come out, the Harry Potter brand was worth an estimated $15 billion. Add 3 more movies that sold like hotcakes and you have a franchise worth way more than CoD. Or did Kotick fall down a flight of stairs and forget books were a medium for entertainment?

http://www.exchange4media.com/kids/KidsFullStory.asp?section_id=24&news_id=26820&tag=21718

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
At 60$, you can't really compare it to 10$ movie tickets... I prefer actual sales numbers (i.e. number of copies/tickets sold). It's way more accurate.