Modern Warfare 3 Dev Welcomes Negative Feedback

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Sounds like my tutor at uni.

"We tell you you suck so you can improve! we dont just tell you it because we enjoy it, thats only half of our goal!"

AssassinFisH

Jun 12, 2011
I love the COD franchise. There are loads of amazing titles coming out this winter. Its going to be a challenge to fit them in, as I will be addicted to COD yet again.

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
I wonder if they'll accept any criticisms...

"Dear I.W, I will not buy Modern Warfare 3 unless there's a mode that requires every player to wear a tutu".
i second your suggestion, and allow me to add, "top hats"

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Ill just put this out there right now.

As an artist, creator, etc.

Taking criticism after the work is done amounts to NOTHING.

The only way to fix things that are broken and criticized, are to take them back, work on them and put them out again.

Had IW done a public beta when there was still time add or remove features, this would have been impressive. Otherwise all you may get is some stat tweaks and hope they do it right in 2013.

Which isn't hard to do if they plop out a generic texture map, some guns and movement schemes and let people test the feel of it. It's like how there is that little sound in Black ops multiplayer when you score a hit, but not in single player which makes it feel like shooting paper targets.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I sort of don't believe this.

I'm sure loads of people have already given negative feedback for what CoD 4 online has become now that the hackers from MW2 took over. What about some of the imbalances still being abused in MW2 that people still complain? What has IW done about this? Thats right, pretty much nothing.

I highly doubt they will actually listen and take action. And this is coming from a CoD fan.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Makes sense. Heck, I'd even argue thats good advice for life. People in general are far too resistant to negative feedback and criticism :p

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Nooners said:
Incidentally, if I did a thorough video review/comparison of MW2 and BC2, how many of you would be interested in viewing it?
Yeah, but only because I have faith that my blind allegiance to Battlefield will be further cemented ;)
Treblaine said:
Dedicated Servers. Dedicated Servers!

[HEADING=2]DEDICATED SERVERS![/HEADING]

Seriously Bowling, even gears of war is embracing dedicated servers, 90% of the complaints with COD series of late has been lag induced. The series NEEDS dedicated servers in SOME capacity.

Even if the user has to pay a subscription fee (if moderate like $2 a month) then it is the best way to go.

Also don't expect the PC version to be at all well received without dedicated servers.

You would honestly pay a subscription to play a generic FPS when there's a perfectly good, free-to-play-once-purchased Battlefield 3 on offer? I don't even know what to say to that.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it. It's all very well getting ideas from people for game modes but taking on board and acting on actual criticism? That's quite a bit harder and I'm sure not worth the effort as the game will sell like an electric fellatio machine regardless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
...thus seperating IW from developers who insist that if you don't enjoy the game, you aren't playing it right.

On the other hand, I've seen developers invite critism before, but mostly just for show. If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.
The latter part is my issue. I've been banned from websites for devs who claim they welcome criticism before. Some people say they want feedback and interaction, but when they read your responses are very much "screw you" about it.

On the other hand, if they're paying attention, good for them.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Survival mode.. you mean that thing that Gears, Halo, Fear and a myriad of other shooters have had for quite a while now. Not exactly revolutionary stuff, but not unwelcome. I'm surprised it took 'Twitter' feedback for them to think about it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
Treblaine said:
Dedicated Servers. Dedicated Servers!

[HEADING=2]DEDICATED SERVERS![/HEADING]

Seriously Bowling, even gears of war is embracing dedicated servers, 90% of the complaints with COD series of late has been lag induced. The series NEEDS dedicated servers in SOME capacity.

Even if the user has to pay a subscription fee (if moderate like $2 a month) then it is the best way to go.

Also don't expect the PC version to be at all well received without dedicated servers.

You would honestly pay a subscription to play a generic FPS when there's a perfectly good, free-to-play-once-purchased Battlefield 3 on offer? I don't even know what to say to that.
Hmm, would I pay? I don't know now, at the very least they'd have to throw in the map-packs as well but those are a rip in themselves though should have been bundled from the start or part of official patch.

Better than $60 for an unplayable online.

Seriously, I cannot play Modern Warfare 2 half the time, as for AGES it would continuously search for a good game - I could never play the most obscure game modes - and finally connect and it was a glitch-fest lag central.

Not everyone lives in major cities where they can find 50 other people plugging into the same part of the internet playing COD at the same time! I live in the sticks and I can always find low latency servers for Black Ops and COD4 - on PC of course.

I'm not going to get MW3 JUST because it has dedi servers... I just can guarantee that I will NEVER buy it without dedi servers. MW3 still has to prove itself as really balanced and restrained and I doubt it will do that much.

Now that I think again, no, I wouldn't actually be willing to pay a subscription fee to play MW3 dedicated servers. But I have to say that I got so fucking frustrated by MW2's shitty online connection I was willing to pay A LOT to just get a good low latency connection!!

I know for a fact that it is not that expensive to run servers, an 18 player server is about $15 per month retail. So that's about $10 per game sold, actually probably half that considering most won't play 24/7 or every single night. I jsut know that Activision is the cheapest and greediest publisher in the industry, and they hate the idea of "giving away stuff for free" and at the same time they can't just let unthusiasts rent and run their own servers to host games... except on PC.

Yeah, For PC - AT THE VERY LEAST - do online servers at least as good as Black Ops.

Otherwise no sale, no way.

PS: Battlefield 3 is a completely different kind of game that just happen to have very similar settings. I don't agree with the comparisons. Though I'm seriously considering BF3 but I'm a bit pissed of recently playing team-based games where none of my teammates actually want to work as a team. THAT is fucking frustrating.

It's the reason I don't play TF2 since it went free to play, fucking inundated by idiots where the concept of teamwork in online is just so alien to them they have no comprehension. I have 10% more before ubercharge, I say "WAIT! uber needs jsut a bit more" but they charge in, get slaughtered and I die with 95% uber...

[HEADING=1]FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!![/HEADING]

Oy, maybe I need to join a Clan.

But sometimes I just want a casual shooter I can quickly drop into and get some frags that isn't a laggy glitchy mess.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The Cheezy One said:
If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.
Literally EVERYTHING In Modern Warfare 2 was asked for on IW's twitter page when they asked "What do you want to see in Modern Warfare 2?"
And that was their greatest downfall.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Dedicated Servers.
No Rifle Mounted Grenade Launchers.
No Shotgun secondary.
High cost Killstreaks. ((UAV's should be 5-7 kills instead of 3. And choppers should be 15-20))
No Ghost. ((I dont care if they keep ninja or second chance. But Ghost has to go. It promotes camping.))
Dedicated Servers.
Proper weapon unlocking. ((You shouldnt start with a good weapon, and unlock the worst on in the game 30 levels later))
Completely remove quick scoping. ((I liked how sniping was in Black ops before they they ruined it. How you had to stay scoped in for 3-4 seconds before you shot would go dead straight? That needs to come back))
More attachments, camo's and customization. ((Even if most of it doesn't effect the way the gun preforms. The more you can customize it, the better.))
Dedicated Servers. ((Its not like you CANT afford it. Just dont have another 20 million dollar release party.))

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Cheezy One said:
...thus seperating IW from developers who insist that if you don't enjoy the game, you aren't playing it right.

On the other hand, I've seen developers invite critism before, but mostly just for show. If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.
The latter part is my issue. I've been banned from websites for devs who claim they welcome criticism before. Some people say they want feedback and interaction, but when they read your responses are very much "screw you" about it.

On the other hand, if they're paying attention, good for them.
It's like people who say "You can tell me" or "You can depend on me". People like to be able to say those things, but when it comes down to it, they can't. I can respect a man or woman who can say "I don't think I can handle that".

The thing is, if a dev doesn't say this, then the media can take it as "Even if we are wrong, we won't change a thing".

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Then where are the dedicated servers? That was the one complaint people had with MW2. They brought them back with Black Ops so why take them away again? They've pretty much just handed the PC market over to EA by doing this.

Nooners said:
GET. RID. OF. IWNET.

Seriously, I never wanted to get MW2, but my little brother wanted it for his birthday, and I'm a nice guy. So now I have both Bad Company 2 and MW2, and good lord, is IWnet screwy.

Incidentally, if I did a thorough video review/comparison of MW2 and BC2, how many of you would be interested in viewing it?
Sure throw it up.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
The biggest complaint with this game is the insanely short Campaign and they know it. So, we will know if they care depending on how long their next game campaign lasts.

I will wait a few months before I buy this title. B3 looks a lot more promising.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Phoenixlight said:
People just like hating the Modern Warfare games regardless of how good they are.
"People" mostly hate the second one, because it was shit. It had a campaign of four hours, three of them was entirely scripted.
It had an unbalanced multiplayer, with so terribly designed maps and weapons.
And it didn't have any dedicated servers. At all.

Anyway, I only draw one thing out of this... They weren't doing this before?!

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The Cheezy One said:
If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.
Literally EVERYTHING In Modern Warfare 2 was asked for on IW's twitter page when they asked "What do you want to see in Modern Warfare 2?"
Oh dear God....that was terrible!

Seriously...I can only imagine how that looked...

Wait...

Is it archived somewhere?

I would love to read that....