Modern Warfare 3 Nutcase Threatens to Blow Up Best Buy

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't call this guy a fan of anything.

As for the news trying to spin this against games, well, this particular example of the human race was probably threatening to burn down a pizza hut for leaving the anchovies off back when CoD was a twinkle in some bored coder's head.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
JasonBurnout16 said:
Oh god, here comes another video game rant.

You don't see stuff like this happening because of Assassin's Creed or Skyrim do you?
No, because they're not out yet.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Welcome to retail, guys.

For every 1,000 people you serve, there will be one that wants to destroy you.
For every 1,000,000 you serve, there will be one that tries.
That doesn't seem that bad. For every 10 customers I serve, I want to hit at least 3 of them.

The problem with this, and any unidirectional contract, is that if you don't deliver, people get pissed off.

My cell phone company called me and had a disagreement with me about some stuff. They told me to go fuck myself. Damn right I want to eviscerate the ass hole. Normally after being treated that way by someone I'm paying for service from, I wouldn't want to do business with anymore but I have a contract that locks me in for another year. So I have to take their verbal abuse.

captcha: governor, Phildst

Feb 13, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
I would imagine that's pretty much the same stats for meeting people in real life.
Actually, you're probably safer in retail
Problem is compounded that you HAVE to meet 3/400 a day.

And the wooden barrier only slows them.

FoolKiller said:
[
That doesn't seem that bad. For every 10 customers I serve, I want to hit at least 3 of them.
Try being a Mod somewhere. Or a Policeman. Or a Kebab seller. That number's still quite low.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
El Luck said:
JasonBurnout16 said:

You don't see stuff like this happening because of Assassin's Creed or Skyrim do you?
Have 6,000 copies of Skyrim or Assassin's creed been stolen at Armed gun point?

Has this happened when previous Assassin's creed games have been released? Or when Oblivion was released, did someone threaten to storm a Bestbuy with weapons from middle earth?

This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I would imagine that's pretty much the same stats for meeting people in real life.
Actually, you're probably safer in retail
Problem is compounded that you HAVE to meet 3/400 a day.

And the wooden barrier only slows them.

FoolKiller said:
[
Try being a Mod somewhere. Or a Policeman. Or a Kebab seller. That number's still quite low.
Yeaaaah. I worked in an ice cream parlor for a while. The customer is never right. Never, ever, ever, evereverever. It's telling that the most understanding, easiest to please customers that I ever served was a deaf couple who couldn't speak, either.

JasonBurnout16 said:
El Luck said:
JasonBurnout16 said:

Has this happened when previous Assassin's creed games have been released? Or when Oblivion was released, did someone threaten to storm a Bestbuy with weapons from middle earth?

This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3.
To be fair, the truckload of MW3 games wasn't stolen at gunpoint. The driver(s) was/were teargassed, though. Which I suppose can be considered worse.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Ooooo so this explains a lot. Recall all those anonymous games where people are raging at you for 'sucking' and 'being a noob' and all that jazz? Many of those are probably peeps like these (albeit less psychotic). I'm sure these people would be insanely fun to troll. Reminds me of that time I trolled this football player on facebook who was trying to defend his *****-girlfriend by being all 'tough guy'... on the INTERNET. Dam he got pretty mad.... *trollface*

Feb 13, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
It's telling that the most understanding, easiest to please customers that I ever served was a deaf couple who couldn't speak, either.
It's true. Never had a single problem from deaf, wheelchair-bound or mentally handicapped people. Children as well...hardly ever a problem (though a bit loud and clumsy)

The parents? 9/10 are bastards.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
...And then he proceeded to go to GameStop in hopes of snatching a copy for himself. But the line was too long for the midnight release! But an idea had struck him. He would wait inside his red car for a fool who would buy a copy for him and then...

See, THIS is why CoD has such a bad rep. I'm not a fan of the game myself (I have MW2 and it's alright) but I admit the game can be tons of fun if you play with the right people. But it's like the dumbest people are the majority of all CoD fans! I didn't say all, by the way, I said most. If you're one of those rare and intelligent CoD, then congratulate yourself because you're a rare breed. But most of these guys only know how to play CoD and that's it. Take the game away and they become irate, dumb people. And I have to deal with them everyday...

Oh, CoD. I'm beginning to understand your dilemma.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
ResonanceGames said:
I've been to that Best Buy; I can very much relate to his general sentiment.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Fox is already putting some anti-video game spin on it:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/09/nationwide-violence-greets-release-new-call-duty-video-game/
'Rarely does virtual violence led to such real world violence, however.'

Holy shit Fox is learning!

OT: Silly CoD crazies!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So CoD is the new Catcher in the Rye? It inspires people to commit crimes.

I mean, holy God, what the hell is wrong with some of these people? It's a fucking game.

Also, people who use this shit to dump on the other 99% of the fanbase are twats.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Welcome to retail, guys.

For every 1,000 people you serve, there will be one that wants to destroy you.
For every 1,000,000 you serve, there will be one that tries.
God help you if you stay in retail long enough to serve 2 million.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
I've actually had a similar thing happen when I worked at a bookstore. A lot of retail job puts you in close contact with potentially dangerous people.

The customer was looking for a book that our system said we had but could not find and he took it as we did not wish to help him so he asked us how we wanted to die. He said he was going to go home and get his shotgun. He would kill us but we got to decide the way.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010

I feel bad for Activision. That's all I can say with these news articles about Call of Duty. This month, we had someone paying over $1000 for the game on eBay, French criminals stealing a truck full of new copies, and recently we had a guy who was too imaptient to wait in line decides to steal from someone who paid for his and use a gun as a threat. Now we have this guy threatening employees over a screw up.

These people are making gamers looks bad. Not only that, they're making the series look bad as to say this is how people react when a new Call of Duty game is released. All I can do is shake my head with disappointment.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
JasonBurnout16 said:
El Luck said:
JasonBurnout16 said:

I love the way the Escapist community is completely against the idea that violence, and bad behaviour is caused by video games.....

except for MW3, just as long as it gives people another petty excuse to whine about how they hate the game so much.

If this customer had been buying any other game, and did this it would have been the persons fault. But because it was MW3, it is MW3's fault. the logic is outstanding, isn't it.