Modern Warfare 3 Will Feature LAN Support

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
ASnogarD said:
What does ' player-run dedicated servers ' mean exactly ?

I am pretty sure it means players can hire a dedicated server from autherised server rental providers, and control it via a rcon interface.

... dare I hope it means server files ? Guess not.
If I recall correctly, players will be able to actually run their own servers without any Activision rental shenanigans like Black Ops had. Unless I've been reading the articles incorrectly, and I'll admit that I may have missed one or two or misunderstood some of them,this game is pretty much supposed to be as fully functional as a PC game can be. Player-run servers, mod support and now LAN. Again I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
lan? in an activison game? dafuque?

god damn it, now we have to deal with the rain of fire, awakening dead, the end of days and these four horsemen..

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Game Development Pro-tip:

Cut features intermittently out of sequentially titled games. Fans will be so surprised you're using it again that they will surely buy it.

finiii

Ocelot
Feb 2, 2010
This is a good start.
Still need to know if the game is balanced for lean though.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I still prefer BF3 over this. So, good for the ones buying this game. I still won't get it.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I just want Combat Training (MP with bots, or to take Vanderhaaaar's words ... Single Player ONLINE!) for the loner I am or rather, for being so far away from the rest of the world. > . >

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Ayjona said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but I can't help but feel that this is less about selling more copies - the game will sell well without all this extra effort - and more about winning hearts and minds.
I'm confused. Is winning hearts and minds the cynical alternative?
It can be, it depends on the motive.
And with Activision, motive is definitely something you want to look into...

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Translation:

Battlefield 3 is going to fuck us sideways on the PC; we're just trying to get together as much lube as possible before it happens.

Apr 28, 2008
Low Key said:
I don't understand why pretty much everyone has taken LAN out of their games to begin with. Oh wait, yes I do. They can't sell you shit unless you're online. LAN is a feature that should be so common that it shouldn't make headlines.
Exactly. This should be one of the things that is included in an online PC game by default. It really says a lot about the industry when they can take out standard features, then advertise that they "care" by putting them back in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it has LAN support, but it's something should be included by default with a PC multiplayer game, not a damn advertizable feature. It'd be like saying "MW3 on PC supports adjustable graphics".

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
It is funny how LAN support has gone from being the norm in PC gaming, to becoming the talk of myth and legend. Where the younger generation have yet to witness the marvel of multiplayer PC gaming, over a local network connection.

Oh well, I still won't play it on my PC though seeing how MW3 would be my console shooter and BF3 will be my PC shooter.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Now lets just hope that the Famas isn't overpowered, the grenade launcher isn't too cheap, and that there is no retarded knifing. Then I will say they have won my full support. Very much looking forward to it. Not that LAN actually matters on Xbox 360.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Coldster said:
Now lets just hope ... the grenade launcher isn't too cheap, and that there is no retarded knifing.
woa woa, slow down. we are STILL talkinb about cod after all^^

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
after releasing mw2 without dedicated servers, and the black ops with really shitty optimization (had 2 pcs which both had horrible lag problems for over a month) they sort of had to please us a bit with mw3. while i'm still more excited for bf3 i'm probably going to play the shit out of this also, due to dedicated servers. is there mod support also? because cod 4 was pretty fantastic on pc due to mod support, as were bf2.

Apr 5, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Bowling said that as well as LAN support, Modern Warfare 3 would also feature "detailed class restriction control," and "default class creation option." This, when combined with the full support for player-run dedicated servers, makes MW3 a very - and perhaps unusually - PC friendly game. ...

Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but I can't help but feel that this is less about selling more copies - the game will sell well without all this extra effort - or even about really doing something good for PC gamers. Instead, it's about more about winning hearts and minds and making Activision a little more popular.
I have very little love for Activision and for some of the s**t they pull, but this is very good news indeed and definitely a step in the right direction. If only ancient console technology wasn't stifling games development so badly, we might be able to enjoy fewer load screens, larger maps, bigger/better textures and so on. But for the first time in many years, I will offer Activision a nod of approval.