Modern Warfare Mask Lands French Soldier in Trouble

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Is...is this really getting worked up over? Come on guys. There's a lot worse going on in the world and probably within your own ranks than this.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
I won't pretend to know anything about French military politics, but aren't the French Foreign Legion mercenaries?
Not quite. Historically they did include foreign nationals, who, individually would have counted as mercenaries, but the Legion's officer corps has always been, almost exclusively, French. The name, The Foreign Legion, doesn't refer to the Legion's makeup, rather, it's about where they can be used. While most of the French Military has (or at least had), no restriction against domestic deployment, The Foreign Legion was restricted to operating in their colonies or abroad.

Sorry, if I'm not being clear, just poke me with a stick, and I'll come back to this when I'm not splitting my attention.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Heaven forbid ANYONE should find a French solder intimidating. ~_~
>.>
is that even possible? even is we made the 40K space marines would any one actually fear a french solider?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MacNille said:
Lunar Templar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Heaven forbid ANYONE should find a French solder intimidating. ~_~
>.>
is that even possible? even is we made the 40K space marines would any one actually fear a french solider?

Yes. You would fear this motherfuckers.
till they started talking maybe >.>, even that would be a stretch though

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
llafnwod said:
tmande2nd said:
"We are going to restore order by shooting any mofo who is against order"
"But dont think that means we encourage people to think we are killing folks!

FRENCH LOGIC!
You realize some organizations want to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism regardless of what the job actually entails, right? You don't see HR directors walking around with strap-on dildos. Anyway,
Soldier wearing Modern Warfare mask in the middle of a firefight: psychopath.
Soldier wearing Modern Warfare mask to protect his face from sand: video game fan.

I'm with the guys who say leave him alone.
But managing to stay alive after people shoot at you IS showing professionalism. If anyone can come back from such bad situations over there without suffering severe emotional and mental trauma, then it's job well done.

I mean really, between moments of killing each other, people point at a mask and cry "That's not right"? They can wear whatever small home comfort they want.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
"We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

bounty90

Oct 1, 2012
GoddyofAus said:
Yeah.......Maybe the Higher ups in the French Army are just unhappy that he couldn't use that balaclava as a white flag to surrender with.
That's the best thing Iv heard all day.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Nurb said:
llafnwod said:
tmande2nd said:
"We are going to restore order by shooting any mofo who is against order"
"But dont think that means we encourage people to think we are killing folks!

FRENCH LOGIC!
You realize some organizations want to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism regardless of what the job actually entails, right? You don't see HR directors walking around with strap-on dildos. Anyway,
Soldier wearing Modern Warfare mask in the middle of a firefight: psychopath.
Soldier wearing Modern Warfare mask to protect his face from sand: video game fan.

I'm with the guys who say leave him alone.
But managing to stay alive after people shoot at you IS showing professionalism.
No, it's showing competence. That's not the same. Referring back to my original analogy, an HR man who downsizes employees to maximize company savings whilst minimizing loss of revenue and then puts on his strap-on and does a few pelvic thrusts to celebrate is doing his job, but he isn't doing it professionally.

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
The French military is 100% in the right to want to reprimand him. Wearing something like that is absolutely unacceptable. This isn't CoD, you're on the job, and you're making you employer look bad. What happens when you make your employer look bad? You get punished. I'll admit that they're probably wasting their time since they have bigger things to worry about, but they are still right to want to seek disciplinary action.

As for people talking shit about the French military, those people clearly don't know anything about France's military history. Up until the 20th century, France had been fighting wars pretty much constantly for hundreds of years, and winning a decent amount of them too. But then their reputation as a fighting nation all of a sudden goes down the drain because of one war (WW2)? Stupid.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Ghost was so 2009. Outdated fashion to say the least.

Terminate421 said:
What? That's just not right, let him have a bit of identity.

He didn't even do anything, just stand there.
Soldier? Identity? Whaaa?

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Thedutchjelle said:
I might side with the French government here though.

He was on duty and a representative of France. He should've just worn his normal outfit. Yes, the army should've provided scarves themselves, but wearing a skullmask is a bit insensitive on the soldier's part.

If you were a regular there with perhaps little to no information to current events, would you trust foreign soldiers with skull-masks? It's better to keep a somewhat friendly face to the local population.
The thing is though, what you do on patrol and what you do in a combat situation are not the same as what you do in hearts and minds activities. If he were talking to a civilian, or walking through a village, he most likely would have removed it.
Arizona Kyle said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Legion said:
It doesn't seem like they were trying to be "cool" or anything, but you'd have thought they'd be given standard issue scarves to wear for these kinds of things.
They do but most times soldiers will buy they're own gear such as boots, scarves, and underclothes because the standard issue is usually low quality.
As a US Airman i support this message. So does my closet
Yep platatac for the win

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
On one hand i can udnerstand the french legion officers, Image is, after all, important in this situation, however i do not see anything bad here as he actualyl had a practical purpose for it other than to fool around. While he should not be rewarded for this, i think this deserves no punishment whatsoever.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Kargathia said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
I won't pretend to know anything about French military politics, but aren't the French Foreign Legion mercenaries?
Technically, yes. They're professional soldiers, and aren't even required to have the French nationality.
As long as you're physically competent enough, and understand enough French to understand an angry guy shouting at you, you'll be fine.
It's the French solution for putting (often colonial) hard-asses to good use. Historically it ended up being a unit filled with adventurers, fugitive criminals, and ex-soldiers from the various North African countries once colonised by France.
They are not anywhere near being Mercenaries. They are fully part of the French Army, there's no question about that. The particularities of the Legion is that, yes, they will allow anyone to join, no questions asked. They will change your name if you request so, give you the French nationality, and protect you from prosecution.

It's no longer the case that former colonies constitute the bulk of that force, now you have a lot of Eastern Countries types and even French nationals who just want a new life.

As for the "French surrender lol" jokes, I never really got them. Every single country the Germans attacked was overwhelmed by the Blitzkrieg - except for Russia because they were throwing cannon fodder. UK was saved by the Channel. The German army was the most powerful military of the time. The French army had lost more than 1 million soldiers in WWI, you don't refill that many of your troops in 20 years. There are many people who could expand on the reasons, and none of them include being a coward. Anyone who knows more than 2 chapters about military history know that France had no other choice but to surrender - they had been defeated. And then fought back as the fiercest resistance you've ever seen. What the US experiences in Iraq is nothing compared to what the Germans suffered in Occupied France.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I gotta admit, it is a beautiful picture. I think the French, of all people, should appreciate good art when they see it, rather than try to discipline the one French soldier out there that people might actually be afraid of now.

EDIT: I think I just got ninja'd.
You'll note they're not going after the artist, so yeah.