Mod's Playground

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
This is what I always do. It's one of the reasons I love Oblivion and Fallout 3 so much.

If only all developers allowed mods to the degree that Bethesda does.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
ARMA ACE mod is really nice. Big ass download..especially if you only have 1MB DSL
the mod community for SWAT3 was excellent..they even had Alaska State Trooper SRT uniforms..

I remember the mod community for the first Rainbow Six on the pc..that was COOL.

Old Man Neck

Feb 22, 2009
Reminds me of Oblivion. The sad thing about my Oblivion is that it is running around 150 mods at the same time, with little to no conflicts. It took forever to do that though.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
WhiteTiger225 said:
Honestly, Fallout 3 Had great story telling to me, some VERY addictive gameplay, and was all in all heavily polished. It was so fun finding the little details, easter eggs, and quests hidden about. I see everyone who calls it poor in any catergory (Save for an ending narroration, that I will admit seemed whipped up last second) I feel is just trying to be "That guy" you know who I am talking about. THAT GUY. The one who sits at a card shop calling your 1st turn kill deck overrated. THAT GUY who claims citizen kane and Casablanca are overrated, outdated garbage. THAT GUY, who just says things mainly to appeal to the easily lead, overly opinionated "Alternative" crowd.
The weird thing with Fallout 3 (and to a lesser extent The Elder Scrolls) is that it's nearly impossible to describe what makes it so good. The quests are often shallow, the combat is clunky, the levelling is a smorgasbord of numbers that have no immediately visible effect, and the world contains an obscene amount of vendor-trash (and lets not mention the horrendously specific creation system, why is a lawnmower blade required to make a burning sword, can't I just use my...well..SWORD?)

That said, there's always something...magical about them. They manage to perfectly nail the "GO! Explore!" feel of a good RPG. And then they removed levitation from TES and undid all that goodwill.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: Mod's Playground

Buy game. Download mods. Create game you actually want to play.

Read Full Article
The trick is, if you are really shitty at making games, make your games easily modable.

The mod community will make people forget just how craptastic the original product was.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both pretty poorly done in Vanilla.

You slap a few mods from Martigen and CO on them and they are some of the best games I've ever played.

Course you have to accept crashing at that point unfortunately, at least I've gotten mine to once every few hours.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
AboveUp said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I dread to think what fans would do to Symphony of the Night. Super Metroid is another game that shouldn't be touched.
I wouldn't be surprised if modders already touched Super Metroid roms. Just like they've made impossible version of every Mario, Megaman and Zelda game out there.
Harder =/= Better.
Play "Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman" if you want to see a game that takes gameplay and fun and shits on it for the sake of the absolute highest and steepest learning curve I've ever experienced in my entire life.

It's a shame too because its a fantastically built game, but the people who did the balancing should be shot in the ass.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Now I feel the urge to buy all my RPG's for PC. I also feel a hole in my gaming experience with fallout 3 now....thanks....wasted 60 bucks

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Because of the way my brain operates, I tend to avoid the overall mod scene simply because I can't reconcile it as being 'canon' - that or the additions will stand out like a sore thumb because the original title was fully voiced but the add-on is text only, or things of that nature. The mods I tend to install are the sort that fix nitpicks I had with how the game operated, or improve graphics/models/etc without changing them in such a way that they no longer conform to the original spirit of the title.

Or in other words, I enjoy mods that make games better instead of different. My personal favorite is probably the Freespace 2 Source Code Project and related Upgrade project, where the fans have taken a game that was released in 1999 and made it run/look like a game that came out last year, and at it's core it's still exactly the same game, just better (of course it helps that the original game didn't need changed, since Freespace 2 is the best space shooter ever and anyone who says otherwise is a heretic!).

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Wow, Shamus's version of Fallout 3 makes me want to set my copy of Fallout 3 on fire, put it into my xbox360, and shoot them both into the sun.

I can on wonder how awesome the mods for Fallout 3 are...

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
...i really hate to ask but...that game of your sounds awesome could you possibly post the links to those survival mods you have?

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
chickenlord said:
...i really hate to ask but...that game of your sounds awesome could you possibly post the links to those survival mods you have?
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=4473

That should list most of them.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
I wonder why the coders weren't able of doing such stuff with previous GTAs, that they do now with GTA IV, also there are very few games or engines that allow complex modding(more than changing models,textures and maps), and also some of best mods I've ever tried tweak gaemplay to make an awesome game a godlike, for example "Cinema mod" or "Max Paynelich"(which became lost long years ago and nobody ever found it again,possibly it's host failed and the modder didn't notice) for max payne 2(almost no gameplay tweaking required) or "Kin' edition 2008" for Soldier of fortune 2 Double Heli(because just wielding 2 differrent guns and shooting invisible predators that throw grenades at you in a game with best gore ever is FTEW). also it's shame only few games get total conversions. Complete graphical revamp as in case of HL2 cinema mod are also ocurring way too seldomly. Also it's shame that total makeovers take so many years to develop, to such extent that total conversions of MP2 are being released now. Also "Black Mesa" mod upgrading HL1 onto source engine didn't get out yet. I wonder if we're ever getting a nightvision mod for GTA IV, because these games usually only get minor improvements than complete new game-altering features.(all that mods and trainers mostly use stuff that already was in the game).

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
Shamus Young said:
chickenlord said:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=4473

That should list most of them.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
That's my problem with Bethesda. Set aside the moddig for a sec, and let's look at the mods the game designers made for the game, namely the DLCs. They made some great mods for F3, that are full of potential but ultimately fail to deliver. Sure, we get new surroundings, new weapons and other stuff, a new bit of story, but when you finish a given DLC, there is no reason to go back.

Major case in point: Mothership Zeta
I just played through the DLC, only to find...
...there is nothing left to do once you finish it. I fought through countless aliens and killer robots, defeated the captain, shot down the other saucer and...nothing. One of the NPCs announced "Great job, now you have your very own spaceship!" My eyes, glaring with glee, I wanted to explore the ship, find out what I can do with all these alien stuff. Go to another galaxy maybe? Deathray the shit out of the capital wasteland? Kidnap people and make them work in science lab to come up with new tech, make a legion of Abominations to take over the world, or just mutilate them to my hearts content? NO!
What I found was, once I finished the quests, the rest of the ship became unaccessible! Why? There were parts of the ship I didn't explore, because I wanted to finish the quest first and do my exploring in peace. Now I can't even go back to the sections that were accessible but unexplored during the quest, let alone find new areas. I don't understand.
The only thing I could do is, sit in the captains chair, stare at the stars, or go back to the holding cells. Everything else is off limits. The deathray doesn't work anymore, the ship cannot move and I can't access anything other than the bridge, engineering and the holding cells. There is no reason to go back. Basically...
...it was a waste of time. Sure, the new funky alien weapons and stuff is great, but there is nothing else in there.

Sadly, this goes for all the DLCs. Once you finish them, it's like they've never existed, and only some of the new stuff rotting in your locker reminds you of them (because most of the stuff you find in DLCs are also useless compared to what you already have if you finished F3 beforhand).

Threre are no new gameplay elements, nothing to extend sandbox play once you are finished with the quests. Once you beat the game, the stuff from the DLCs does nothing. New shiny armors and killer weapons, for what? There is no one left to defeat, no one left do defend against, and roaming the wasteland quickly becomes boring.

I always wanted to be a trader in F3, start my own caravan, going from settlement to settlement selling stuff, just like the in-game ones, or start a trading post and create Bartertown from Mad Max 3. Without the mods, I couldn't do either of them.

What I'm saying is, the game designers, who are familiar with the game, could do all this safely in a matter of days, unlike the modders who need months to create a buggy mod that may or may not work or crash the game so bad it needs reinstall. It should be game designers making these mods, not the players.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Bethesda seems to think they're making console games, what with their insistence on console UIs and the like, but their games really are unplayable without mods, which means that PC is the only way to go.
Also, Half life mods are pretty awesome, which you can't get on console (Just about the only time buying someone something I knew they already had has got me such massive thanks)

Morrowind is still one of my favorite games ever, but only because of mods. Although it's old, and it shows, that also means that it has a pretty big back catalogue, and the really massive projects are coming of age. (Mainland morrowind, anyone?)

Also, don't think the wasteland in fallout 3 is big enough? get the global travel system and relive the fallout 2 days but traveling across the entire world, with new areas in their own separate worlds. (not many mods for it yet, but I'm sure more will arrive)

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: Mod's Playground

Buy game. Download mods. Create game you actually want to play.

Read Full Article
Dear god man, give me the links to all the mods you use!

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, didn't see that other post. Iz-k