Mods that went horribly wrong

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Any PC or extra tenacious Console Gamer worth its (we are one, we are uniform, we have no gender or self identity) salt has tried to mod their game to their own specifications whether to try and improve, fix, or alter the experience. However sometimes... it just horribly backfires.

Unfortunately I do not have any such tales however I have found some gems that I want to share.

(I did not make these)

Whether yours or not, your own personal attempts to mod or someone else's endeavors, what examples of modding gone horribly wrong can you dig up?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Credante and the Chocolate Chin:

That's only a taste of the model swapping that guy did, he also replaced everyone's head with orbs and several other character mash ups like Lady and Sanctus (aka old man with tits) and Credo/Agnus/Trish (Creagnish).

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:

I thought he died. WHY HASN'T HE DIED!?
Can we just dub all of Titus' lines in Space Marine? No offense to Mark Strong.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Minecraft creeper is the best and worst mod I've ever seen. On one hand, it's hilarious. On the other hand, I don't think I would survive in real life if I had an encounter with one in a dark cave. My heart would stop.

OT:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/202/f/1/The_WTF__Oblivion_Mesh_by_Ayoshen.png

This isn't a photoshop. That is literally what happens if you accidentally kill off meshes while modding Oblivion.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
There's a TNT gun mod for Terraria that kind of breaks the game. It fires TNT on full auto with an insane rate of fire. I suppose it would be a great mining tool in a way but it really just makes a mess.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I installed a companion mod for Oblivion... Sounded cool, sadly they just got and killed everyone for no apparent reason.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
There is always the great epic of Skyrim's Week of Madness by PC Gamer.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/10/skyrim-week-of-madness-day-1-the-world-according-to-sheogorath/

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I made exploding arrows for Minecraft, but didn't make the arrow disappear during the explosion. It would destroy the block it stuck in, fall down to the bottom of its own crater, destroy that, fall again, and basically just drill a 10 m wide hole until it hit water, lava, or bedrock.

This didn't stop me from firing lots of the things, or firing a whole stack of them into a floating block of obsidian and then breaking the block, but it wasn't really the result I was after.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:

I thought he died. WHY HASN'T HE DIED!?
Where can I find this, and how long does it last? I would love to play the game with all the lines dubbed over by Dawn of War.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
That mod [user]sky14kemea[/user]! She went horribly wrong somewhere!

I mean, she's half Spider-Man! What kind of genetic experiments were done to her?!

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
This is pretty funny:

Real Carriages [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcgyE7Fnlg]

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
That creeper mod, I can't stop laughing.

OT: Any mod for female armour. I get fanservice, but come on internet, really?

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I once modded my WoW with a complete UI overhaul in the early game. Can't remember what it's called now, but it turned the interface into starcraft basically. In later expansions I got it again, and it was a lot more manageable then, basically just automatic. But that vanilla version, good god, you had to manually change so many files to fit it to your specific character and screen sizes.
Which ended up with me completely unable to play any of my alts. You set it up so specifically for your main that it just breaks everything for the other chars.
I ended up having 2 installs for a while after that, but even then It never quite worked the way it should on the alts and eventually I just gave up on it altogether.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
TimeLord said:
That mod [user]sky14kemea[/user]! She went horribly wrong somewhere!

I mean, she's half Spider-Man! What kind of genetic experiments were done to her?!
And don't forget that TimeLord who does he think he is bending space and time to his whim like it's a plaything-I bet that arrogant bastard didn't even get his Tardis legally :D

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
I think someone should already post... THAT sonic mod already.

OHai, I want to change a small thing for this flashlight in left 4 dead. *start game* WHY IS EVERYTHING PURPLE AND BLACK

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
lacktheknack said:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/202/f/1/The_WTF__Oblivion_Mesh_by_Ayoshen.png

This isn't a photoshop. That is literally what happens if you accidentally kill off meshes while modding Oblivion.
Bane of my Oblivion gaming! Nothing is worse than loading up a bunch of mods after install (approximately 100 or so) and then playing the which mod is causing the missing mesh/texture/random crash game.

I spent 4-5 hours fixing up New Vegas and troubleshooting a very irritating crash. I finally fixed it all up and was able to play. Then one day, for whatever reason, Steam went a little stupid and wouldn't go into offline mode. "I'll just reinstall Steam!" I thought to myself. Upon doing that, it didn't recognize the games I had installed. I've done this before with non-modded games, and I just click install and it checks the game files. Not this time. This time it just wiped out the New Vegas folder completely, all the mods I had downloaded and configured, gone. I've had a serious craving to play New Vegas, but it's always curbed by the fact that I'll have to download and troubleshoot mod installs to work with my old saves before I can play. :(

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
TehCookie said:
Credante and the Chocolate Chin:

That's only a taste of the model swapping that guy did, he also replaced everyone's head with orbs and several other character mash ups like Lady and Sanctus (aka old man with tits) and Credo/Agnus/Trish (Creagnish).
The guy looks like Jay Leno let his hair down and put on a white trenchcoat.

SmugFrog said:
lacktheknack said:

Bane of my Oblivion gaming! Nothing is worse than loading up a bunch of mods after install (approximately 100 or so) and then playing the which mod is causing the missing mesh/texture/random crash game.

I spent 4-5 hours fixing up New Vegas and troubleshooting a very irritating crash. I finally fixed it all up and was able to play. Then one day, for whatever reason, Steam went a little stupid and wouldn't go into offline mode. "I'll just reinstall Steam!" I thought to myself. Upon doing that, it didn't recognize the games I had installed. I've done this before with non-modded games, and I just click install and it checks the game files. Not this time. This time it just wiped out the New Vegas folder completely, all the mods I had downloaded and configured, gone. I've had a serious craving to play New Vegas, but it's always curbed by the fact that I'll have to download and troubleshoot mod installs to work with my old saves before I can play. :(
I know that feeling all too well. It's the same reason I haven't re-installed Fallout 3 or NV, or touched my Oblivion in years. Skyrim has made things a bit easier, but I still run in to stuff that's just wrong. Usually the game crashes before I can do anything else though...