Mojang and Bethesda Settle Scrolls Suit

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Dude, did nobody ever at any point bring up the fact that you can't copyright titles?

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
FateOrFatality said:
Hopefully this doesn't bring up all the Bethesda hate again. Companies need to protect their trademarks - this isn't trivial, it isn't Bethesda being stupid. If they didn't take this seriously it could screw them over big time.

Glad to see the two could reach a compromise that protected the interests of both. Now can we have that Quake deathmatch?
It was one word, I would understand a bizarre word or if Elder Scrolls was just called Scrolls, but no. They have a TM over the world scrolls. I feel this is like me TM Christopher and not letting anyone call their child my name.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
(Here's a hint: everybody wins!)
More like "lawyers get paid for pointless lawsuit by people with actual jobs". So the way I'd put it is "everybody loses".

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Didn't Notch suggest this before they even went to court, god I hate people who aren't willing to listen.

And he's right about the lawyers.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Kwil said:
This is disappointing. It means Zenimax now has precedent for a broadened trademark including each individual word in their IP title.
Bingo. So now, by extension, EA owns the word "mirror", Valve owns the word "life", Activision owns the word "duty", Ubisoft owns the word "assassin", 2K owns the word "shock", and everyone gets to fight over who owns the word "dead".
Not bingo, no precedent. They settled out of court, or so the article leads me to believe.

Jun 11, 2008
I thought that everyone knew it was Zenimax and not Bethesda with the lawsuit but I suppose less people know who Zenimax are and more know Bethesda. Also did anyone expect anything different?

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
does this mean that Bethesda can make a rip off of notches game though? since they own the trademark to it and eldar scrolls now?

kyle_silver

Oct 4, 2011
KILGAZOR said:
So wait... a company gets to trademark an improper noun... and that's the HAPPY ending? It makes me sad to see that half of the people in this thread (including the OP) don't realize the larger legal implications of this case (that half been stated already by other posters in this thread, so Im not gonna waste time repeating them)
I do agree with you on this KillGazor...This could, and probably WILL become a major problem sometime in the future...Let us just hope that it doesn't[ Btw, My Captcha was really Ironic. ]

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
To all those criticizing Bethesda/Zenimax for trademarking the word "scrolls", the irony is that Mojang are the ones who started this by attempting to trademark the word "scrolls." This is acknowledged when Mojang writes:

"...to answer the second question, we aren't going to keep the trademark"
http://www.mojang.com/2012/03/scrolls-will-be-scrolls/

They "aren't going to keep it", which implies that they have possessed it prior to now. Mojang are the ones who trademarked "Scrolls", but they made a mistake in doing so because it was too similar to the "the Elder Scrolls" mark that already existed. By now they recognized their error, which is why they reached a settlement to license the term and are not trying to keep the trademark.

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
So now no one is ever allowed to use words in the tile of there games that is in the title of other games...

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
Kwil said:
This is disappointing. It means Zenimax now has precedent for a broadened trademark including each individual word in their IP title.
Bingo. So now, by extension, EA owns the word "mirror", Valve owns the word "life", Activision owns the word "duty", Ubisoft owns the word "assassin", 2K owns the word "shock", and everyone gets to fight over who owns the word "dead".
Congratulations on missing the point entirely.

OT: I dislike Notch in an uncomfortable kind of way.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm not sure you people understand what this settlement means, Mojang just gave Bethesda their Scrolls franchize, i.e. Mojang now got a one time rental deal for their own creation.
And if they intend to make any sequels or off-shoots Mojang hasto ask Bethesda to grant them such mercy, or alternatively Bethesda is now free to make the Scrolls franchize games themselves or sell it off to anyone.

Notch that was one bad deal you made, ya you got to keep the name this one time and sold everything else.

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
This is a simple case of a major corporation bullying a smaller one over a ridiculous theoretical possibility that they would lose money because of confusion. Mojang had already won a preliminary injunction over this case.

-There is nothing wrong with trademarking a single word for a game product. If there were two separate games simply called "Scrolls", that would be confusing. "The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim" vs "Scrolls", is not remotely confusing.
-If Zenimax had actually already owned the trademark "Scrolls", Mojang would not have been able to apply for a trademark to begin with. Zenimax does not own a product called "Scrolls".
-Zenimax owns the trademark for "The Elder Scrolls". There is no reason whatsoever that Mojang trademarking the word "Scrolls" as a singular title would some how make Zenimax lose their trademark for "The Elder Scrolls". They should have spent their time and money easily passing a law that state that single words can be trademarked separately and as part of multi word titles.
-This settlement sets up the possibility that companies will start trademarking individual words for their multi word title products, which will limit the possibilities for new titles, and/or give them the ability to charge people money to use them.

Two games come to mind. "World of Warcraft" and "Final Fantasy". How many games from how many different companies use the words "World", "Final", and "Fantasy"? Seriously, this is ridiculous.

This whole thing just makes me sick. One company being unreasonably greedy, and another one having a preliminary injunction in their favor and backing out because they couldn't care less what it means for the future and just want to save money.(for those not aware, minecraft mas made over 100m and they have spent little to nothing of that)

There are so few companies in the gaming industry left that I can muster an ounce of respect for.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Holy shitballs. Common fucking sense won for a change. I suggested this exact compromise months ago. I should be a lawyer. If only I could handle the baby eating ceremony required to pass the bar...
Anyway, I am now off to trademark all the vowels. I'll fucking own the world!

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Kwil said:
It's just precedent for the key noun in the trademark really. At least we won't get people tradmarking "red" and "the".