Mojang challenges Bethesda to a duel

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
SgtFoley said:
The Virgo said:
SgtFoley said:
That sounds completely idiotic and childish.
... Said the guy with the profile picture of the Vault-Boy kicking a pregnant woman in the stomach with a smile on his face, which was the banned picture for getting the reputation "Childkiller".

Yeah, that's really mature.
Rawne1980 said:
SgtFoley said:
Well now thats not very nice, I may be an asshole but I am not stupid or childish. If you were right which your not I could simply have said we known our own when we see them.
I never said you were stupid.

But really, I like the idea of a videogame battle to decide. I don't see the stupidity of it. If you want to see stupid, imagine paying lawyers to try and sue someone because you claim he is infringing on your copyright when the only thing the two games have in common is the word "scrolls". Doesn't even look like The Elder Scrolls.

I personally like the idea. It reminds me of this judge who convicted some guys of gambling and he let them roll the dice to see how many years they would get. We need more of that, if only to show that just because you wear a suit and/or make oodles of money that you are light-hearted.

If I were the president of Bethesda, I would go along with that idea. It's more fun and it's less expensive than lawyers, especially since they know that when they bring their case to court, this is what any respectable judge will say to Bethesda:

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
good to see that those guys have some taste in FPS Multiplayer, even though a QW match would have made it even more epic

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zetion said:
The Virgo said:
SgtFoley said:
... Said the guy with the profile picture of the Vault-Boy kicking a pregnant woman in the stomach with a smile on his face, which was the banned picture for getting the reputation "Childkiller".

Yeah, that's really mature.
dogstile said:
SgtFoley said:
dogstile said:
SgtFoley said:
Say's someone with YOUR profile picture?

Besides, Bethesda could have just asked before sending in the lawsuit. We never hear of companies sending cease and desists before lawsuits recently.
Well now thats not very nice, I may be an asshole but I am not stupid or childish. If you were right which your not I could simply have said we known our own when we see them.
Talk all you like, that picture of yours is bother immature and childish, which makes you a hypocrite.

Which begs the question, why is a method which would actually save the courts time and money considered childish just because we would consider it fun.
I wish I could dodge arguments that easily in real life, criticizing someones face seems to lead to more arguments.

I wish he would spend more time working on his fucking game. It's a good thing that $15 dollars I gave him for an unfinished product went to finishing the product; and not on ham sandwiches, hookers, blow and vacations. Right?
We both backed up our points. I don't really call that dodging an argument. Did you read the rest of the thread?

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Well unless Mojang are intending to copy the Bethesda naming style and call the game [small]Scrolls[/small] - , i.e making the scrolls part so small most gamers won't notice it unless they look for it, I'm pretty sure you could call the threatened lawsuit the exact same thing.

Since most of these 'I'm threatening legal action' situations seem to be exercises in childish dick-waving to prove the person/company in question ahs the bigger e-penis.

It's like if somebody made a game called 'The Fall' and Bethesda started accusing them of ripping off Fallout 3. Insofar as I can tell, anyhow. Honestly I wish more disputes could just be settled in as amicable a way as Notch is suggesting

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well I for one think this would be awesome, but they have, have to stream it live (with voice chat) or at the very least put it up on Youtube.

Y'know, pics or it didn't happen...

indiangrunt91

Aug 5, 2009
you know, this is probably more mature than the lawsuit in general.
the idea that mojang cant use the word Scroll is pretty ridiculous

bigmen0

Jun 19, 2011
Aparentlly, Bethesta didn't Accept, with an awful excuse:

@Fauxtaku
Fauxtaku
REPORT: @Notch challenges Bethesda to Quake 3 match. Bethesda declines in fear of angering legal department of Quaker Oats cereal company.
http://twitter.com/#!/Fauxtaku

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
They should settle this like gentlemen, slap each other on the left cheek with a white glove and challenge them to a duel.

The Cor

Jun 21, 2011
SgtFoley said:
Well if you think that's childish and idiotic, just take a hard look at the subject they are having a 'feud' about.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
SgtFoley said:
I say it is childish because it is the tactic used by a fourth grader in the schoolyard. It does not actually settle anything properly. Its kind of like me saying if I can beat the shit out of you then my argument is correct and yours is wrong. See where I am going here? It ignores all evidence, which is what a fair decision is supposed to be based on. It does not prove who is legally right or who is legally wrong it just proves who is better at video games which should be completely irrelevant.
You say "evidence" and "legally" as if Bethesda's case isn't already completely stupid and irrelevant to begin with.

You honestly think their attempts to claim ownership of the word "scroll" should be taken seriously? Such a claim doesn't deserve legal fees or court time.

Notch is just being a cheeky bastard and responding to their idiotic suit with this challenge, because he knows he has nothing to lose if they refuse (or win). Bethesda doesn't have a case. I commend him for it. He's realized, as many others have, whatever lawyer is sitting around doing nothing but looking for contrived reasons to sue random people on Bethesda's behalf is getting paid way too much.