Mojang Considering Minecraft TV Show

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Mojang Considering Minecraft TV Show

Notch has begun to think about programming blocks in a whole new way.

Here's a fun fact: If anything on Earth, be it a book, theatrical production, stuffed animal, or newly-discovered species of Ugandan lizard, is or has ever made money, there's a Hollywood producer somewhere hoping to wring it out in front of a video camera like a soggy, soggy wealth sponge. The same can, of course, be said for videogames, and with Minecraft making enough money to justify the use of bulldozers for organizing its biannual budget, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there's no shortage of movie-making money men showing up on Mojang's door with a boquet of roses in one hand, a creative licensing contract in the other, and a wry 1920s-silent-movie-villain smile plastered across their lips.

According to recent financial filings, Minecraft has, to date, generated a whopping $80 million for Mojang via 25 million registered users, 5 million of whom have already purchased a full copy of the game. But while it's safe to say the indie game itself has reached towering peaks many never thought possible, its merchandising revenue has brought in but $1 million. Any number boasting seven digits is nothing at which to scoff, but those dollar signs are dwarfed when compared to the money milked out of something like Angry Birds, the quickly-growing empire created by similarly Scandinavian developer Rovio. So, with games like Angry Birds and the like already working movie deals, perhaps, Mojang thinks, it's time for Minecraft to consider doing the same.

"We've been approached by a number of high-profile Hollywood producers and asked to do TV shows," said Mojang's chief executive, Carl Manneh. "We may do that. It's hard when you don't have any experience and someone comes to throw these ideas around. We have so much to focus on with just the game development and growing the business. But if the right idea comes along and the right people that we'd want to work with, we'd say, why not?"

As a game with little narrative focus, one really has to wonder what sort of concepts these producers are pitching. The truth is, though, that Minecraft is such an open concept that it could really be anything. In fact, I'm sure any Escapist could do just as well. Just think of any terrible idea for a long-running story and finish the pitch with " ... but everyone's made out of blocks," and you're probably coming close.

Source: The Financial Times [http://blogs.ft.com/tech-blog/2012/03/minecraft-mojang-financials/#ixzz1qDET8ss6]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Put a blue jay, a raccoon, a skipping ape, a no shirt zombie, a ghost with a hand coming out of his head, a crazy gentleman with a round head, and a gumball machine into this show and it will be good. Or better yet, make a minecraft episode into the show that has these kinds of characters.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
So my idea is to add a a magician [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_(TV_series)], who intends to get redstone to wire up his take-over-the-world machine, and every week Steve stops his current fiendish plot.

EDIT: IMHO they should just ignore those people unless they want to be dragged into development hell. It's just someone looking for a property to license and it'll probably go nowhere, or right into the toilet.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
No just no...

First, it just sounds dumb all together. Second if you want to watch a Minecraft show just go on the internet, its over saturated with it. Third Mojang should stick to what they do best. As to my knowledge they make games not tv shows.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
This is what gets business' into trouble. Remember how Nintendo thought it was a good idea to have cartoons for Mario and Zelda?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, if they're gonna have Legos, might as well have a damn show to sell the crap. I'm not entirely opposed to it, but it doesn't sound like something that would be down my alley.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
I've got it! My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Twilight Sparkle accidently opens a portal to Minecraft land, and creepers, spiders, etc. are invading Ponyville. Sounds awesome, am I right?

Bujiraso

Feb 12, 2011
A quirky family find that their next-door neighbour is a robot! ... but everyone's made out of blocks

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I.... would love this. A Lot.

I can see now. The artist behind MLP and PPG doing all the art for it? The genius mind behind Megas XLR writing the script, and the story then "edited" to be more minecrafty by the Yogscast. Jessie Cox voicing the Protagonist, and Steven Blum doing the voice of the best friend.

The story revolves around:
The Protagonist waking up on a beach, saved by Steven Blum's character. He leads the ship wrecked character to a small town ((5-10 buildings, housing only about 6 people)) where The Protagonist moves in with the Best Friend, each episode going on adventures in the different biomes looking for materials, and adding more and more to his "Dream Home" hes constructing, with the season ending as he places the final block on his new estate.
You can keep the series fresh by having Travelers pass through the town coming from other settlements.

I think it would be AWESOME! But thats just me. Wow, i typed alot more then i thought i would.
Either way, Notch has my blessing on this. Theres no such thing as "To much Minecraft" for most of us minecraft fans, so im sure im not the only one happy Notch is considering a MC tv show.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have to admit I'm shocked, Minecraft is like a toolset more than anything. It's like saying you want to make a TV show out of say a word processor.

I honestly hope Notch says "no" to this, I mean he's already made 80 million dollars, and unless he's stupid will be able to live well for the rest of his life without ever having to work again. At this point does he really need any more money?

If he enjoys developing games, more power to him, but something like a TV show is little more than a merchandising cash-in, and really once he starts down that road, especially when looking at things that have no real connection to his work, it's a slippery slope he'll never rise out of.

I'm not a big Mincraft fan, but I did give him money and believe I'm entitled to the full version when it's done going by the date and what I was reading when I did it. I did this to support his development, in hopes he'd make enough money to not need to go down this kind of path. I'll actually think LESS of Notch if we see a "Minecraft" TV show. I mean it's possible someone would have this amazing idea that would just have to be made... but I just can't see it... not with Minecraft.

I suppose they could do something like say Robinson Carusoe out of it, but I'm not sure how well that would support an ongoing TV series.

If Notch really wants his own TV show, I'd imagine for 20 million he could probably produce something really good and potentially see a return on it... and even if he blew it would still have 60 million to live out his days on. In such a case though making it "Minecraft" would be a bad idea, he'd do better to say finance the ideas of someone like Joss Whedon or whatever.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Well... It's possible. It'd be hard, but if they did an almost-machinima type of show where the main characters go through their daily lives as if they were actually people playing Minecraft, it may go over alright. If Notch goes through with it, though, the team working on it had better know their stuff. With something like Minecraft as a source, the characters would HAVE to be good. It would probably be comedy because you can't really write drama or action with Minecraft. It couldn't be a very long series, either; Minecraft, though expansive, isn't very complex. There should be some continuity; the whole purpose of Minecraft is to work toward a goal that you have set for yourself and having completely disconnected episodes would break it badly. Pandering exclusively to a younger crowd would be a terrible idea, as many of us Minecraft players are teenagers and adults. It would also prevent the writers from doing anything significant with, say, zombies or skeletons, or even the stuff in the Nether.

Also, this should be the opening sequence:

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Put a blue jay, a raccoon, a skipping ape, a no shirt zombie, a ghost with a hand coming out of his head, a crazy gentleman with a round head, and a gumball machine into this show and it will be good. Or better yet, make a minecraft episode into the show that has these kinds of characters.

Hahah, I see what you did there.

Anyway, with that in mind, I think a Minecraft show would do well on Cartoon Network. It could be of the "fun for all ages" variety that would be safe for youngsters but still have humor that adults could get. I'd watch it. I just don't know what they'd do in the way of toy marketing that Minecraft isn't already producing. Toys of the show's main characters, I guess.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
I really like minecraft, notch/Jeb = god, etc.
buuuuut........no. just no. this CANNOT end well.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Jove said:
Well this guy sold out pretty quick.
Ah yes the call of the whiny fan who thinks the dev was there friend and now they're trying to make money off ideas they don't like they "sold out". Let me guess you liked Minecraft before it was cool? right?

OT, could be ok if done well, and no reason it can't be. I would imagine Minecraft being used as more of an art style than anything else. The big plus is it's wide open on pretty much everything to do with the world, society and people.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
so how about a young, abused boy with no parents discovers a world of magic and wonder which he becomes an integral part of, fighting evil beings that want to kill him for no reason beyond the fact he is alive... but they're made out of blocks.

A combination of the two worst ideas... made worser.

EDIT: this community loves minecraft so much, that posting this vague attack on it caused Firefox to crash.