Mojang Finally Sets Minecraft Release Date

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
November 11 was actually chosen because it's so close to other videogame and movie release dates.
Lies! Filthy lies! They just wanted to use 11/11/11 as their release date!

Plus, I don't believe this news. They never finish at the date they promise to.

odd function

Jul 11, 2010
Rememberance Day is British, America calls it Veterans Day. Some also call it Armistice Day, but non of these are celebrated by Sweden according to the wikipedia article. Maybe it is because of their neutrality during the World Wars.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
sheic99 said:
Mojang is a Swedish developer, why would they observe a British holiday?
As said, it's an international thing. And yes, Sweden doesn't celebrate it. But I think Notch needs to think about his audience, as should Bethesda.

Cameron MacVean said:
...so the American "Remembrance Day"...
Remembrance Day is a British holiday. The American Veteran's day is quite different.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
I understand your concern, but frankly I think they're doing this for the same reason I waited till 1/1/11 to join the Escapist.
Probably.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
CosmicCommander said:
Why are Bethesda and Mojang being so callous as to release Skyrim and Minecraft on Remembrance Day?
I understand your concern, but frankly I think they're doing this for the same reason I waited till 1/1/11 to join the Escapist.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
sheic99 said:
Mojang is a Swedish developer, why would they observe a British holiday?
As said, it's an international thing. And yes, Sweden doesn't celebrate it. But I think Notch needs to think about his audience, as should Bethesda.
Most people aren't aware of other holidays from countries they don't live in. As for Bethesda, it's fairly unusual for retail releases to come out on Fridays. They're probably just going for the date.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
Why are Bethesda and Mojang being so callous as to release Skyrim and Minecraft on Remembrance Day?
Because every country will have to think about Commonwealth holidays >.>. I see what you mean with Bethesda but why bring Mojäng into it?

Edited; found more countries that celebrated it.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
kebab4you said:
Because every country will have to think about Commonwealth holidays >.>. I see what you mean with Bethesda but why bring Mojäng into it?
I just think Mojang may have made a mistake with the date, that's all. A bit of market research never goes amiss.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
kebab4you said:
I just think Mojang may have made a mistake with the date, that's all. A bit of market research never goes amiss.

Hey Cosmic, as a British citizen I can see where you're coming from as the same thought crossed my mind when I initially saw the date, but to be honest when you think about it, do you realise how many other countries celebrate national holidays and events on other days of the year?

It'd be arrogant for us to demand a Scandinavian developer move their release date for the benefit of Brits.

A day is a day is a day...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
kebab4you said:
Tell that to Glico [http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06314/737326-82.stm].

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
CosmicCommander said:
because thats a dumb reason hell i dont even rember it til you said somthing but I own minecraft already but Skyrim is a day one buy

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks that 11/11/11 is far to early of a date for them to have fixed all the major bugs and design flaws present in this game? They really have to churn out tons of updates to even get close to doing so. Given what I've seen so far I just don't see that happening. I imagine Minecraft won't really be that much different in terms of development post-release, but I hope they at least have the integrity to fix all the major bugs before saying it's "finished".

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
11/11/11.

It just looks nice - and it's the last X/X/X we'll get for 1000 years, apart from 12/12/12.

And yeah - they're both American companies, so they probably don't know.
Wrong. Mojang is based in Stockholm, Sweden. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojang_AB

CosmicCommander said:
Worse things have been released on Remembrance day. It's really just another date on the calender for most developers. I would be lying if I said that I thought that Nov. 11 is an appropriate release date for all games, and I'm sure someone would sift though my posts for the topic where I called out a war game (I can't recall what it was) releasing on 11/11 as tasteless if I said so.

But for a game essentially about building (or at least, what we've seen of it thus far)? Just another date.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Sorry Minecraft, I love you, but on the 11. Ill be calling in sick to work/school/family/friends to take a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong stroll through Skyrim. Holy SHIT I'm so excited!!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Too much stuff this fall...It's almost as bad as 2008's bloated October/November.
Oh that was such a wonderful Christmas... :) good memories
Saint's Row 2...Fallout 3...Gears of War 2...and many other major titles...Good year.