Mojang Joins Microsoft; Founders Notch, Carl, Jakob Leaving

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mojang Joins Microsoft; Founders Notch, Carl, Jakob Leaving

The deal is real; Microsoft has bought Minecraft developer Mojang for $2.5 billion.

The rumor has been out there for about a week, but it has now been confirmed. Microsoft is adding Minecraft developer Mojang to its development stable to the tune of $2.5 billion. Last week's reports from Bloomberg and Reuters indicated a deal between Mojang and Microsoft was close to completion. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137345-Report-Microsoft-To-Buy-Minecraft-Developer-Mojang]

Markus "Notch" Persson, the creator of Minecraft, decided to sell the company after being the majority shareholder and watching the game grow worldwide. "[Notch has] decided that he doesn't want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance," a blog post on Mojang's website stated. "Over the past few years he's made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang."

Mojang stated the company founders, Notch, Carl Manneh, and Jakob Porser, are leaving. Notch shared his personal thoughts on the situation in a blog post, [http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/] where he said he plans to go back to participating in Ludum Dare and small web experiments. "If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I'll probably abandon it immediately," he wrote. "...It's not about the money. It's about my sanity."

Microsoft stated its relationship with Mojang began when the developer discussed bringing Minecraft to the console. Over the past two years, players have racked up a collective 2 billion hours played on the Xbox 360.

Both Microsoft and Mojang noted Minecraft will continue to be available on other platforms. "There's no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop," Mojang stated.

Mojang does not have the specific plans for Minecraft's future with Microsoft, but the developer said Microsoft wants to continue to make the Minecraft community grow.

Even though Notch, Carl, and Jakob are departing Mojang, the developer predicts many employees will continue to work at Mojang for now.

Additionally, Microsoft confirmed MINECON, a Minecraft fan convention that could not be held this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137040-Minecon-Pushed-Back-to-2015-at-Earliest-Might-Happen-in-London], is on for next year. More details will be available in the coming months.

Source: Xbox Wire [https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/]

seris

Oct 14, 2013
well we all can expect any new mojang games to be xbone exclusives, and new updates being paid DLC.

BiscuitTrouser

May 19, 2008
I guess as a creator he didnt want to stand in the shadow of his previous work. I cant blame him, artists dont dote over a painting years after they finish if they want to make other works, they sell it or hang it and move on. But minecraft seemed like this ever evolving thing that no one ever wants to be totally 100% done and complete. Thats a lot of pressure. I guess he just wants to make more games for himself, tying the knot with his old work, sending it off into the void and starting fresh makes sense to me. I can hardly blame him. And since minecraft was worth so much obviously a corporate titan was going to be the entity rich enough to take the wheel.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
I guess as a creator he didnt want to stand in the shadow of his previous work. I cant blame him, artists dont dote over a painting years after they finish if they want to make other works, they sell it or hang it and move on. But minecraft seemed like this ever evolving thing that no one ever wants to be totally 100% done and complete. Thats a lot of pressure. I guess he just wants to make more games for himself, tying the knot with his old work, sending it off into the void and starting fresh makes sense to me. I can hardly blame him. And since minecraft was worth so much obviously a corporate titan was going to be the entity rich enough to take the wheel.
I think the obscene amount of cash might have been an incentive too

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Mo' money, Mo'jang.

Also this had me rolling.
[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/511507949291069440]

Also hope it means that local (to me) guys 4J Studios get a decent payday too, considering the work they've put in on the console ports.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
And with the $2.5 billion Notch will finally fulfill his real dream - opening a real mining company.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I oddly just got back into playing Minecraft after bingeing during the 1.7 beta and quitting when 1.8 beta came out. I must admit, the fact that Notch wanted to ditch his own creation really makes me sad that the virulent aspects of the internet are disconnecting authors with their creation. I had always assumed previous times where creators abandoned their IP's were isolated incidents but with Notch, I kinda hate the way this whole online aspect of things is going. I find it interesting that we have been afraid of the triple A industry crashing for so long, we are starting to see the success stories of the indie scene start to disappear, for completely different reasons.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Let this stand as an example that everyone has their price. And I certainly can't blame Notch. I wonder where this leaves his 20-odd employees.

I've never played Minecraft, but I wonder what this would lead to regarding Microsoft product tie-ins and such, like Halo. And where does that leave current customers I wonder. I mean the legality, the mods, the servers, etc.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Does anyone else feel like we've got one step closer to a more grim, unfriendly version of the world Neal Stephenson presented to us in Snow Crash?

Because I have.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
Hm... I can't decide if this is a betrayal or not, given Notch's previous statements about Windows 8. I can't begrudge him for wanting to bail on running a company though - as a developer myself (or more realistically just a CS grad student) I wouldn't want to be in the spotlight any more than he likely does.

Best of luck to him on his auteur projects.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AT God said:
I oddly just got back into playing Minecraft after bingeing during the 1.7 beta and quitting when 1.8 beta came out. I must admit, the fact that Notch wanted to ditch his own creation really makes me sad that the virulent aspects of the internet are disconnecting authors with their creation. I had always assumed previous times where creators abandoned their IP's were isolated incidents but with Notch, I kinda hate the way this whole online aspect of things is going. I find it interesting that we have been afraid of the triple A industry crashing for so long, we are starting to see the success stories of the indie scene start to disappear, for completely different reasons.
Notch may have been the face of Mojang but he wasn't really an active part of Minecraft's development anymore anyway. At least by most accounts. He's already tried moving on, but his entire reputation is dwarfed by that of Minecraft.

Anyway.

Have there been any other times where a game owned by one of the big publishers was directly available on their competitor's consoles? I'm sure there have, but I can't really think of any right at the moment... but I really wish Microsoft would find another solution to their problems than "throw ALL THE MONEY at ALL THE THINGS!!!"

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
seris said:
well we all can expect any new mojang games to be xbone exclusives, and new updates being paid DLC.
New mojang game, ha what a good joke. Mojang doesnt make new games, all they make is minecraft. They've been around for 5 years and all they've made is 1 game and 1 that's pretty much dead in beta.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Notch, sells out for 2 billion. Man am I laughing my ass off. No one has integrity the way people fantasize about integrity. As Ted DiBiase used to say, Everyone has a price!
So Notch and the ground floor guys just got a spectacular payout, and basically threw everyone who supported them over the whole ideal that they weren't sellouts because they didn't put Minecraft on steam under the bus.
Hell I don't blame them. If I were Notch and company, now resting comfortably in the more money than God range of rich, I'd retire. Why? One reason, they'll never ever top Minecraft. Just won't happen. The other? 2 billion is a lot of money, guaranteed a height of financial success one can never reach again. So retirement at an early age sound like a damn good idea. One can still do things post-retirement, but one doesn't have to do jack shit.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Whelp. I guess we'll see how it goes. Maybe Microsoft will actually be smart and not mess with a good thing too much. Of course, just judging by their history, I have no actual faith that will happen.

Can't get too mad at Notch and anyone else that had a say. As long as all the employees get some sort of slice of the payout (there's only about 30 so I wouldn't see why not), and they all have the option to bail, I'd say good on them. Any employee at Mojang could walk up to just about any developer and say "I worked at Mojang, can I have a job?" and more and likely get one.

Though I can't help to wonder what the hell Microsoft thinks they're getting out of this. I mean, even taking merchandising in account, unless they resort to horrible dickery (killing mods, and charging for updates, charging for running a server, charge for skins, increasing the price of the game, and other things that would assuredly backfire) I don't see how the hell they could recoup 2.5 -billion- with one company, even if it is Mojang. Let's not delude ourselves, they may be one magnificent pony, they've still only done one trick.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
fluxy100 said:
seris said:
New mojang game, ha what a good joke. Mojang doesnt make new games, all they make is minecraft. They've been around for 5 years and all they've made is 1 game and 1 that's pretty much dead in beta.
steve in project spark confirmed?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Notch, sells out for 2 billion. Man am I laughing my ass off. No one has integrity the way people fantasize about integrity. As Ted DiBiase used to say, Everyone has a price!
So Notch and the ground floor guys just got a spectacular payout, and basically threw everyone who supported them over the whole ideal that they weren't sellouts because they didn't put Minecraft on steam under the bus.
Hell I don't blame them. If I were Notch and company, now resting comfortably in the more money than God range of rich, I'd retire. Why? One reason, they'll never ever top Minecraft. Just won't happen. The other? 2 billion is a lot of money, guaranteed a height of financial success one can never reach again. So retirement at an early age sound like a damn good idea. One can still do things post-retirement, but one doesn't have to do jack shit.
I can assure you that my price is significvantly less than 2.5 billion :p

Tbh I think people here will underestimate what the minecraft licence really brings microsoft, it's more than just the game.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Frezzato said:
Let this stand as an example that everyone has their price. And I certainly can't blame Notch. I wonder where this leaves his 20-odd employees.
Considering he gave his employees million of dollars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.352829-Notch-Gives-3-Million-to-Mojang-Employees] willy nilly, I'm sure they are covered.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
So Mojang is as the dirtsheets said Microsoft's newest client, nice. I look forward to their new ring gear, theme, and finishing move.
Still they'll need a proper feud to get people really interested in them so I'd suggest Mojang vs Nintendo...or is that too quick? Maybe starting with just one of Nintendo's clients would be better.

Andy Shandy said:
Mo' money, Mo'jang.

Also hope it means that local (to me) guys 4J Studios get a decent payday too, considering the work they've put in on the console ports.
What is the context of the avatar on that twitter? All I see is Kaz doing the four horseman gesture.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The White Hunter said:
I can assure you that my price is significvantly less than 2.5 billion :p

Tbh I think people here will underestimate what the minecraft licence really brings microsoft, it's more than just the game.
I freely admit I'm mercenary. Everything has a price and I'll agree to it, but then sometimes the price is out of the range of what the person who wants said thing done can pay.
I also don't believe anyone ever sells out, they just buy in to a different life.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Well BBC news was covering it so either Clif Richard has bought it or the rumors were 100% true. We shall have to watch and wait to see if Microsoft screws the pooch at all. I'm hoping they know that the formula isn't fuckable with without destroying what made it special and popular.

roseofbattle said:
The rumor has been out there fro about a week,
0/10, see me after class.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
In related news, Windows 9 will be replacing the unpopular "tile" desktop of the previous iteration with new-and-improved "blocks."

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Me55enger said:
Does anyone else feel like we've got one step closer to a more grim, unfriendly version of the world Neal Stephenson presented to us in Snow Crash?

Because I have.
I wish. But I've yet to see privatized highways, smart wheels, the resurgence of ancient Babylonian, or pizza delivered by the Mafia.

Besides, the Enterprise has already been scrapped, so no Raft.

This is more like Jennifer Government.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Man, with that kind of money, Notch can now buy untold amounts of silica gel packets! /DesertBus7Reference

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Notch may have been the face of Mojang but he wasn't really an active part of Minecraft's development anymore anyway. At least by most accounts. He's already tried moving on, but his entire reputation is dwarfed by that of Minecraft.
I understand that and that is also part of my point. Despite Minecraft expanding away from Notch's control, he continued to be the one who was mentioned in the various hateful messages directed at anything Minecraft or Mojang or even Indie related. I read through the comments thread for the Rumor post on this buyout and most of the hateful commenters blamed Notch for things, or claimed it was Notch's fault that Minecraft did _____ or whatever they disliked was Notch's fault. Games are almost never a one person operation but the biggest name attached takes the majority of the fire and I get the feeling that Notch will continue to get spammed with hatred for long after this deal is done whenever Minecraft does something a person dislikes. I don't think Notch will get the escape he wants by leaving Mojang and that worries me because I would like to see him keep doing things, but if Minecraft gets horribly corrupted by this deal that we internet people like to speculate, Notch wont be able to do anything without getting spammed hate for "abandoning" Minecraft to an evil corporation. I am interested to see how much longer the industry can sustain this massive amount of abuse without drastic changes.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Internet fame scares good people from innovating more than once.

That's what the headline should be.

Timpossible

Aug 4, 2014
2.5 Billion? Well...I would sell out for this amount of money to be honest. But for Mojang itself? Well...Mojang will be the new rare?
1. Great Developer with an intersting perspective of videogames
2. Beeing bought by MS
3. All the founding staff leaves
4. End up making Kinect games

I guess Minecraft will stay the way it is. But I wouldn't be suprised if Big Updated become every rarer as they already are. But I think MS would be just stupid if they touch modsupport and stuff. If MS actually does this and changed MineCraft that much...they could have just burned 2.5 billion dollars.

BUT: I guess:
In one or two years: MineCraft 2 will be announced. "Exclusivly" for XBONE (means for about 6 months) and will be F2P with a huuuuuuuuge ingame-shop so you have to pay for say recipes for Diamond Tools or more space in your inventory.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Christ. Hope Microsoft doesn't fuck this up too badly. Just let the employees do their thing and keep updating the game. The money will print itself. DON'T FUCK IT UP MICROSOFT!

Silent Protagonist

Jul 18, 2020
The most important thing for me is that microsoft doesn't get in the way of mod makers. Even if there was never another official update to the game, the mods would still role out add a ridiculous amount of content to the game. If anyone here is a fan of the game and hasn't done so already, I highly recommend that you try out some of the massive mod packs out there such as those that can be found on Feed the Beast, Tekkit, ATLauncher, as well as others.

Also, does anyone here have any insight on how the merchandising for minecraft works or if microsoft will be getting a cut of it as a result of this deal? I seem to see that crap everywhere so I imagine it would be fairly lucrative

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, i hope it was worth it for Microsoft.

Though im struggling to see what MS thought dropping $2bn on Mojang is going to get them. Yes, it gets them Minecraft, but that ships already sailed unless they start cranking out paid DLC and/or sequels.

Andy Shandy said:
Thanks for that. Really made my day.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
So Mojang is as the dirtsheets said Microsoft's newest client, nice. I look forward to their new ring gear, theme, and finishing move.
Still they'll need a proper feud to get people really interested in them so I'd suggest Mojang vs Nintendo...or is that too quick? Maybe starting with just one of Nintendo's clients would be better.

Andy Shandy said:
Mo' money, Mo'jang.

What is the context of the avatar on that twitter? All I see is Kaz doing the four horseman gesture.
Man all those reference and no classic Ted Dibiase "everyone's got a price"?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AT God said:
I am interested to see how much longer the industry can sustain this massive amount of abuse without drastic changes.
I'd be more interested in seeing the internet suddenly realize that flinging anger and abuse at every little thing they even slightly don't like isn't the way to improve things, but that's a fleeting hope right there.

Maybe once they've pushed out every single person trying to make something unique and interesting and all we're left with is actually the fiftieth iterations of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, et al and they start wondering why we don't get anything new anymore, they'll finally see that their methods are doing far more harm than good. Though it hasn't worked so far...

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Fair play to Notch. That's good business that is. Everyone in business should have an exit strategy, otherwise it's just a job.
Now he gets to retire on the back of the good fortune he had.

Do I feel betrayed? Absolutely not!
Will Microsoft mess with it? Probably, but they'll probably improve on some aspects... make a rubbish sequel but the 3rd version will be amazing.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I'm not an economist, and big numbers make my head hurt, but...

$2 billion seems a crazy number. Grand Theft Auto 5, allegedly the most expensive game ever made apparently cost $265 million including marketing. This is seven to eight times the price. Minecraft is currently available for the XBox One for $19.99 meaning that they'd have to sell 100 million copies to break even on this deal. (I know we'll get Minecraft 2 at some point and DLC...)

According to Wikipedia the only game that has sold that amount is Tetris with 143 million copies over all consoles. The next best selling Wii Sports is only at 82 million. Minecraft is already number 3 with 54 million copies sold, meaning that a hell of a lot of people already own it.

Seems a hell of a risk that Minecraft will remain a popular franchise long enough to make the money back and not just become a passing fad...

For all the talk of selling out, frankly Notch would be insane not to take this deal.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I can't help but feel this a bad idea on Microsoft's end.
I mean they brought Rare for $375 million and I am not sure they ever really made their money back on them. Rare a company with a long history.
Now more than SEVEN times that amount on a still small and new studio with a one-hit-wonder.

I think Microsoft may not get much out of this.
I wish they had spent that money on new IP and games from many different studios.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Well, cue the angry masses...

I don't see this as a bad thing if they plan to keep on keepin-on, as it were. Minecraft probably won't change too much. At the very least, I'd expect new developments for other platforms like Windows Phone or Windows based tablets now that MS owns it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Good on him, sure it might not "be about the money" but with his chunk of $2.5b he can sit and piffle about with whatever he wants too and love in luxury without ever earning anything again.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
LaoJim said:
Seems a hell of a risk that Minecraft will remain a popular franchise long enough to make the money back and not just become a passing fad...
I agree with you to an extent, but you aren't taking into account the merchandising possibilities (that's where the likes of Angry Birds get most of their cash). Minecraft is a cultural milestone by now, so it ain't fading away any time soon.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Frezzato said:

I've never played Minecraft, but I wonder what this would lead to regarding Microsoft product tie-ins and such, like Halo. And where does that leave current customers I wonder. I mean the legality, the mods, the servers, etc.
Depends on the contracts that the people work under. If they were full time employees of the studio then under EU law they continue as is with no change to their statutory rights. If Microsoft want the studio to the US or something similar they would have offer help moving and a new job at reasonably close pay to what they get now or offer a generous redundancy package. The same goes if the they were on a fixed term contract with the obvious difference that Microsoft are under no obligation to renew at the end of contract. If they were employed as interims or for the project only they Microsoft can give them the push quickly, the notice period can be short as two weeks.

Unless Microsoft decided to change the licence terms at some point in the future everything will stay the same.

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
What is up with Microsoft buying Scandinavian companies lately. First Nokia now Mojang.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
JLF said:
What is up with Microsoft buying Scandinavian companies lately. First Nokia now Mojang.
We'll be getting an indestructible block of a windows smartphone soon, clearly.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Well, with that much money, Mojang officially has the time and money to make whatever kind of games he wants, as there is no possible way any person could spend that much money in one lifetime.
Well, except for Bill Gates, obviously.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
2,5 billion...

If I would ever see this much money on my bank account, I would just stare at it without realising just how much that is... my mind just boggles at the concept.

So, is Notch gonna finance a space expedition and build himself a sustainable home on mars? I bet he could do that now.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
On the bright side Notch is gone.
Maybe some competent developer will now fix Minecraft to run normally and add actual features rather than taking mods and badly implementing them in the game.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Depends on the contracts that the people work under.
Not quite sure that is what he meant, my understanding was that under Notch and Co the money that came to the company stayed with the company and Notch was apparently quite generous with it, under Microsoft the employees at Mojang will now be just employees, a fixed wage in accordance with whatever contracts they have, maybe a little bonus here or there if the game does well, but the profits, all of that will go straight in to the MS money vault and my god will they need it because Notch has just robbed them blind. Even with all the none game related cash, merchandise etc, I can't ever see how MS will recover the 2.5billion they spent.

Oh well on the up side maybe Minecraft will now appear on Occulus Rift.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
Maybe some competent developer will now fix Minecraft to run normally and add actual features rather than taking mods and badly implementing them in the game.
Uh.. As stated in many places before, Notch has had nothing to do with Minecraft development for a long time.
That's one of the reasons he's selling, he is fed up with having to take abuse from people about stuff he has nothing to do with.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Ok, Notch, Ok. Sure this is about the stress of running a company you seem to really enjoy. And not at all about the fact that Microsoft offered you so much money, that its weight in thousand dollar bills could crush you.

Haha. I don't blame him at all. And you can't just come out and say, "Well, it came down to running a game company or having enough money to declare myself king of a small nation."

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So long as they continue support for all platforms and keep the games mod-ability open, I don't care. Though this is Microsoft, you can bet that they're going to stick their dick in this pudding eventually.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Good for Notch, potentially disastrous for M$
I kinda feel bad for M$
Wait, no I don't.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
toms said:
BiH-Kira said:
Uh.. As stated in many places before, Notch has had nothing to do with Minecraft development for a long time.
That's one of the reasons he's selling, he is fed up with having to take abuse from people about stuff he has nothing to do with.
Notch is an egoist. He likes being in the center of attention which is the reason why he loves to use his twitter account to talk about shit he shouldn't be talking. While he didn't code anymore, he obviously had a saying since he's their job. He isn't the type of guy who would give up his saying.

And no, just because he said he's he sold it because of those reasons doesn't mean he actually did it. He sold it because he's incompetent, Minecraft was a lucky strike and it won't get any more popular. He was losing money with Mojang in comparison to 2.5 billion dollar. There is no way Mojang could earn him that much money.

Saying Notch isn't responsible for what's happening with Minecraft is like saying Iwata isn't responsible for what is happening with Mario or Zelda. You really need to be naive to believe that Notch isn't the reason why Minecraft isn't even 1% of what it could have been if it was made by competent developer... or any of the million modder who are obviously more competent than Jeb and Notch combined.

Also when I said with Notch gone a competent developer could fix up Minecraft I meant Notch unwillingness to hire someone who knows how to develop games. I didn't mean Notch is literally coding the game.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Welp, Minecraft was fun while it lasted. Guess I can finally write Scrolls off too after all this time.

Edit: You know what, maybe this won't be the worst thing. Minecraft 2.0 update could feature a new engine that can do new and crazy things, like transparent clouds, fix the lighting issue for half blocks, and properly kill people trying to x-ray with glowstone.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I'm reserving judgement of the deal. But I highly doubt that we'll see a 1.9 content patch for free.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
So let me understand, MS bought the rights for Minecraft at a ridiculous sum of money, without making it a MS-console exclusive, gambling on the notion that Minecraft 2 will be just as successful, while probably making the next game much more limited both in ways to play it and removing mechanics for quick cash.

This sounds about right?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
"Theres no reason to stop development for plattform XXX instead of only xbox"

Rrrrrright... sorry Notch but you sold the game to micro$oft. They will do whatever the fuck they want with minecraft now. If they decide next month that supporting a product on a rival console is not profitable enough you will hear their support for Sony and apple product fall down harder then a bunch of wet towels.

Given... for 2.5 billions i would too say any amount of PR crap and hollow promises while im on my way to my castle in the bahamas or something.

Also the guys remaining at Mojang... well i guess its over getting extra stuff for their work and all those benefits that Notch liked to share with his crew. Its back to a workslave payment and unpaid overtime like everywhere else in the industry.

Wouldnt be surprised if the old developers disapear one after the other now.

And lastly... i have to question micro$ofts sanity... no way is Mojang worth 2.5 Billion dollars when the studio allready has peaked in popularity and allready has maxed out their minecraft sales on every available platform.

What do they expect to happen? Lightning striking twice?

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
So now that Notch has some time on his hands, he should drop an application at Valve. They could sit around and not program games that we want together all day!

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
erttheking said:
Christ. Hope Microsoft doesn't fuck this up too badly. Just let the employees do their thing and keep updating the game. The money will print itself. DON'T FUCK IT UP MICROSOFT!
Agreed! This could be a good thing, if they let it! Seeing Microsoft make the statement that it will continue to be available across all platforms is a step in the right direction, in my opinion. I would let Sony and Playstation fans give me money, too!

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
"I want to retire
No longer required
I want to get by without the man on my back
A tear in my eye
With a heart full of pride
I must go out on a high
And not to answer to why

I want to retire
Inform the suppliers
I'll leave the party in style
And not to be carried out
Without a cloud in the sky
I Got my fingers in pies
A Golden watch on my side
Will measure my free time"
Retirement - Kaiser Chiefs

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Wow they're not even hanging out to do a song and dance for a few years like the Bioware guys did, eh? I always figured something like that was part of these purchase contracts.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
2.5 billion, i think with that kinda money, i would become a globe trotting billionaire, buy a jet, buy a jet pack! hell buy a space ship!

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Congratulations to Notch for getting 2.5 billion dollars of retirement money. Also, open question to Microsoft what the hell are you doing? It seems like Microsoft is using its gaming division as a profit sink to avoid paying taxes or something.

Anyway how long before Microsoft screws this up and never sees a return on investment?

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
I'm no naif, but wtf with the negativity folks? When did we become so thin skinned that the success of someone whose game we like becomes the basis for questioning integrity, and the best we can do is offer grudging congratulations tinged with sour-grapes bitterness? Goddamn.

There was a guy, he made a game. It was simple, it was fun, and he put it out there for the world to play for a pittance. And lo! People came, and played and it was cool for many years. Later, he gets offered crazy-pants money by a corporation and thought that sounded like a pretty good deal.

Anyone who's an aspiring programmer ought to read this as straight up inspiration. Not because getting crazy-pants money is a reason to make games but because he completed a project, and people liked it, and he made a living doing what he enjoyed. What about this is not cool?

So bravo, Notch, Carl, Jakob, and anyone else I might be missing. I hope you continue to have good fortune and enjoy life. Make more neat stuff.

As for Microsoft - a corporation sees something innovative and successful and buys it. What about this is surprising? It's what they do. Yeah, they'll probably change things. And it's ok for them to do it, too, because they bought the thing. They're not a museum.

If you're really unhappy about this, go make stuff. Minecraft was made by a guy, not handed down from the gods. You can do better, the same way humanity has always done better, by standing on the shoulders of those who came before them.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

Go be that king.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
Microsoft now owns Minecraft. May God have mercy on our souls!

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Microsoft is crazy. What is their plan? Make a Minecraft sequel and hope it becomes as popular as the original? It's like hoping you win the lottery twice. Also, with Notch and the other founders gone , all Microsoft basically bought is the 'Minecraft'-name.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
Elijah Newton said:
I'm no naif, but wtf with the negativity folks? When did we become so thin skinned that the success of someone whose game we like becomes the basis for questioning integrity, and the best we can do is offer grudging congratulations tinged with sour-grapes bitterness? Goddamn.

There was a guy, he made a game. It was simple, it was fun, and he put it out there for the world to play for a pittance. And lo! People came, and played and it was cool for many years. Later, he gets offered crazy-pants money by a corporation and thought that sounded like a pretty good deal.

Anyone who's an aspiring programmer ought to read this as straight up inspiration. Not because getting crazy-pants money is a reason to make games but because he completed a project, and people liked it, and he made a living doing what he enjoyed. What about this is not cool?

So bravo, Notch, Carl, Jakob, and anyone else I might be missing. I hope you continue to have good fortune and enjoy life. Make more neat stuff.

As for Microsoft - a corporation sees something innovative and successful and buys it. What about this is surprising? It's what they do. Yeah, they'll probably change things. And it's ok for them to do it, too, because they bought the thing. They're not a museum.

If you're really unhappy about this, go make stuff. Minecraft was made by a guy, not handed down from the gods. You can do better, the same way humanity has always done better, by standing on the shoulders of those who came before them.

Go be that king.
The thing about Microsoft isn't about what he buys. It's what he does with them. There have been good things in the past (like Halo), but also bad ones. Rare was bought, and instead of expanding the reach of their popular IP's they put it to develop Kinect games. Besides, Microsoft has developped such anti-consumer strategies that I don't trust it anymore.

Minecraft was made by one guy, but it became great because of 5 years of support from and towards the Internet community.

A King is nothing without his kingdom.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Me55enger said:

Because I have.
Was Snow Crash not grim and unfriendly enough already?

Anyway, I'm just glad they're still making it for other platforms, me and my brother play it on PS3. And I'm not TOO worried about Microsoft. They've published plenty of good, varied games. They're hardly EA or Activision.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Elijah Newton said:

Go be that king.
The thing about Microsoft isn't about what he buys. It's what he does with them. There have been good things in the past (like Halo), but also bad ones. Rare was bought, and instead of expanding the reach of their popular IP's they put it to develop Kinect games. Besides, Microsoft has developped such anti-consumer strategies that I don't trust it anymore.

Minecraft was made by one guy, but it became great because of 5 years of support from and towards the Internet community.

A King is nothing without his kingdom.
I don't mean to quibble but Microsoft is an 'it,' not a 'he.' Don't mistake it for a person or ascribe it personality traits like a gender or being worthy of trust. It is just a thing. [ edit - ok, though I did notice that I was calling Microsoft 'they' in my first post, so do as I say not as I do ;) ]

"but it became great because of 5 years of support" ?I see your point, but I don't agree with it.

The community did not develop around a crap product out of the goodness of its heart and a desire to make some great thing down the road. There was a thing a guy made, people had fun with it and the creator(s) had the common sense not to fight folks as they started to make a community around it. The community did not come first and was not part of the game until they chose to become involved. The game, the thing which attracted the community, was made by one guy and (later) a laughably small company.

So it is with due respect I say to you sir or madam as regards kings and the making thereof : Get the tools you need, get off your posterior, and make. A new. Kingdom.

(please)

:)

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
toms said:
BiH-Kira said:
Notch is the owner of Minecraft. It's his name and his company's name on the title screen. He's the one collecting the profits. The team working on it works for him. He can say, "Put this in there / don't put that in there," and it will be done. It's his responsibility to see that his product is of high quality.

Or it was. Everything from here on out can be blamed on Microsoft.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Karadalis said:
"Theres no reason to stop development for plattform XXX instead of only xbox"

Rrrrrright... sorry Notch but you sold the game to micro$oft. They will do whatever the fuck they want with minecraft now. If they decide next month that supporting a product on a rival console is not profitable enough you will hear their support for Sony and apple product fall down harder then a bunch of wet towels.

Given... for 2.5 billions i would too say any amount of PR crap and hollow promises while im on my way to my castle in the bahamas or something.

Also the guys remaining at Mojang... well i guess its over getting extra stuff for their work and all those benefits that Notch liked to share with his crew. Its back to a workslave payment and unpaid overtime like everywhere else in the industry.

Wouldnt be surprised if the old developers disapear one after the other now.

And lastly... i have to question micro$ofts sanity... no way is Mojang worth 2.5 Billion dollars when the studio allready has peaked in popularity and allready has maxed out their minecraft sales on every available platform.

What do they expect to happen? Lightning striking twice?
Mincraft's user base is continuing to grow. Ignoring the PS4 and Xbone releases, all other versions combined (as of June of the this year) have sold 54 million copies. Buying Minecraft has given Microsoft a first party title on their competitors' platforms, which means that even with the slow sales of the Xbone, they have a game that's making money. A game that has it's own convention, toys, and a potential movie in the works, is indeed worth billions of dollars.

Plus, they get the smug satisfaction of having a game on three Sony machines.

EDIT: The original said the 360 version sold 54 million units. It should have read all versions combined.

As for the game itself, a strict hand over the devs means that new updates will occur more frequently.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Veylon said:
toms said:
BiH-Kira said:
Notch is the owner of Minecraft. It's his name and his company's name on the title screen. He's the one collecting the profits. The team working on it works for him. He can say, "Put this in there / don't put that in there," and it will be done. It's his responsibility to see that his product is of high quality.

Notch didn't own 100% of the company; he shared ownership with at least two other people. He just somehow became the public face of it, possibly because of his appearance in Indie Game: The Movie. He could - and did - step away to do other things and leave all decisions regarding development to the others.

Ioncloud

Jun 17, 2011
The one thing MS could do that I would be behind is adding actual support for modding and allow mod makers to monetize. Currently mod makers are abused for providing their free mods, both socially and programmatically. Minecraft is NOT inherently modable, there is no official api which requires mods to be updated with each release. As such mod makers take alot of heat when they don't update fast enough or have support this or that other mod or whatever other negative things people perceive. This kind of environment causes moders to leave the scene. Giving mod makers incentive to continue providing excellent, game extending content would be an overall positive.

That said... MS will probably require gold membership for online play, require existing customers to re-purchase (somehow), and lock the game down so that you can't distribute free mods even if you want to...

Burnhardt

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
spoonybard.hahs said:
Snip

As for the game itself, a strict hand over the devs means that new updates will occur more frequently.
And you can bet that it'll all be Xbox One exclusive at 4.99 of your local currency a pop. Because that's how MS rolls.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Burnhardt said:
spoonybard.hahs said:
Snip

And you can bet that it'll all be Xbox One exclusive at 4.99 of your local currency a pop. Because that's how MS rolls.
That doesn't gel with their statement of committing to fully support the game on all platforms. They're still releasing the Vita version. If anything, we can expect more DLC, sure. But feature content updates will continue to be free.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I for one can't possible fathom how Microsoft expects to get a return on their investment without screwing this up. Realistically Mojang was Minecraft and Minecraft was Notch. Mojang on it's own isn't going to catch lightning in a bottle again and make another massive hit, so the value is in Minecraft itself. But Minecraft has been out for years now and already sold like 50 million units, it's not going to make much more money through sales.

That leaves two possibilities I see for untapped revenue:

1. Microsoft plans to 'monetize' the existing user base
2. Microsoft will be seeking value through Minecraft branding and merchandizing: movies, toys, etc

Or some combination of the two, maybe there's other ways but I'd think those would have to be the biggest. Of course #1 seems the most immediate and efficient path for return on investment, and is the one everyone's dreading.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Is it just me or is that a fucking ridiculous price for a studio with only 1 game? In other news, Microsoft complains that their game division isn't making a profit for some odd reason.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I truely do not get why Microsoft would pay this much for Mojang. I like them, I like their game, but how is it worth 2.5 billion? Especially since basically the entire team behind their one big hit is leaving? So what are they getting? The Minecraft name? You're hoping that game's fans won't notice that Minecraft 2: Revelations (Only on XBox One!) isn't being made by the guy who's famous for making the game on his own?

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I think this was a bad move... on Microsoft's part.

I believe this especially after watching Phil Spencer's wank video gloating over the acquisition. He specifically mentions that they bought Minecraft, not Mojang. That signals that the only reason they did the deal is to obtain the rights to Minecraft (obviously) but it also shows that they have no intention of actually doing anything more with the company. Not smart assuming that Minecraft has more than likely already made the majority of it's cash (I guess they're hoping they'll sell some hardware because of this).

On top of that, I think the odds that most of the developers at Mojang will stay with Microsoft is pretty low. With Notch and others already exiting, other employees, being the type accustomed to a liberal amount of free reign, will probably follow.

Microsoft is going to have to work very hard to keep Mojang from becoming the new Rare.

Lastly, I don't think MS will pull any shit like making new updates exclusive to Xbawks or anything (due to the amount of catch-up required first mostly) but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
AT God said:
Don't fret, people are willing to put up with a lot more shit when they don't have 100s of millions of dollars in the bank.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
I guess I'll just take my hope for a Wii U version and go drown it =(

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
toms said:
BiH-Kira said:
Notch is an egoist. He likes being in the center of attention which is the reason why he loves to use his twitter account to talk about shit he shouldn't be talking. While he didn't code anymore, he obviously had a saying since he's their job. He isn't the type of guy who would give up his saying.

And no, just because he said he's he sold it because of those reasons doesn't mean he actually did it. He sold it because he's incompetent, Minecraft was a lucky strike and it won't get any more popular. He was losing money with Mojang in comparison to 2.5 billion dollar. There is no way Mojang could earn him that much money.

Saying Notch isn't responsible for what's happening with Minecraft is like saying Iwata isn't responsible for what is happening with Mario or Zelda. You really need to be naive to believe that Notch isn't the reason why Minecraft isn't even 1% of what it could have been if it was made by competent developer... or any of the million modder who are obviously more competent than Jeb and Notch combined.

Also when I said with Notch gone a competent developer could fix up Minecraft I meant Notch unwillingness to hire someone who knows how to develop games. I didn't mean Notch is literally coding the game.
I would hardly call a man who just sold his company (which he started from scratch) for 2.5Billion "incompetent." I find it laughable how people would use that to describe someone who made more out of nothing than any of us ever could, yes he got lucky, but he still played it well. It's never JUST luck, you need to be a clever bastard to pull off what he has.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
This is also a good example as to why I could get behind an Xbox, if I was a Microsoft customer I'd be infuriated with their spending habits. What was it, something between $400-$800 million to secure exclusive NFL rights for Xbox Live? $2.5 billion to buy Minecraft? Was it ever announced how much they paid for timed exclusive rights for the next Tomb Raider game?

Rather than actually creating something Microsoft blows through billions securing already existing content exclusively for itself. If I owned an Xbox I'd much rather they sink that money into developing actual new games, not making sure my neighbour with a Playstation can't play the same game or have the same content I'm getting. This is much different when a console creates an exclusive title by sinking their own money from day 1 into the development, something Sony did a whole lot of at the latter end of last console gen to catch up. And theoretically the money Microsoft spends to make these acquisitions should be coming from the money I'm spending to buy their products. So Xbox owners are the ones paying to deny the competition from having something. I'd much rather support a company that takes my money for a video game console and invests it in actually making video games for me to play.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hmmm, I should look at getting an older version of Minecraft saved and put aside. Just in case, you know, it all goes to shit.

Not happy about this but he's free to do with his company what he wants.

firetamer13

Jun 8, 2010
Microsoft didn't just buy a "game", they bought a cultural movement.
Every little kid with the slightest inclination towards games plays Minecraft, adults play Minecraft, you can't walk down the street without seeing someone in a Creeper T-shirt. Sure Minecraft is a one-and-done purchase if all you do is play the game, but a lot of people buy the T-shirts, or the phone cases, or the Lego sets, or fill-in-almost-ANY-merchandise-here.
They bought the rights to a mountain of merchandise that is approaching Disney levels. Children are being shaped by Minecraft. They'll keep buying the stuff and ten-twenty years from now, there will still be Minecraft merchandise.
$2.5 billion was a freakin' bargain

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Qizx said:
I would hardly call a man who just sold his company (which he started from scratch) for 2.5Billion "incompetent." I find it laughable how people would use that to describe someone who made more out of nothing than any of us ever could, yes he got lucky, but he still played it well. It's never JUST luck, you need to be a clever bastard to pull off what he has.
Except that it is luck in his case. He was lucky enough that when he showed his core idea to /v/ on 4chan they liked it enough to viral market it so hard that they could sell absolutely everything. Then Reddit picked it up and kept viraling it.

Minecraft was sold on an idea and not on a finished product. Notch never managed to make the game that was marketed by all those poor guys who wanted it. He advertised an idea in a good place at a good time. Everything else was done by the community. It was pure luck on his side.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Honestly, I'm not even mad. Notch sold the company because he no longer wants to be a big name. And with everything that's been happening recently, I can't entirely blame him. It seems now that whenever a social issue comes up in gaming, you either take a side or draw the ire of both sides, because both sides will automatically assume you're against their position. Not to mention that Fish's meltdown probably made Notch terrified he'd go that way too. So I can understand if Notch wants to leave the cabin before he becomes crazier than the guy in The Shining. I wish someone else would have bought the company first, but I'm also not entirely surprised - the PC version has received next to no development as of late, and the XBox versions have received tons. This is honestly the most sensible thing I have read all week. Good on Notch.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
seris said:
Considering Minecraft was a fluke and any attempts at making other games were pitiful, and practically all the people of note are leaving the company from this decision, I highly doubt this matters. Honestly, Minecraft needed to be finished at some point. I actually really hope they DO make all future updates DLC so I don't risk getting Microsoft updates accidentally.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
I'm fairly sure I'd sell a leg for two billion dollars. Good for Notch.Especially since he got rid of something that was becoming a strain on him.

I'm wondering what made MS go up to that amount of money, though. Two and a half BILLION dollars. I'm guessing Notch would've sold at half that.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Me55enger said:

Because I have.
Quit your whining, Mevvenger. Notch won't be going on any motorcycle chases against Soviet nuke-powered terrorists through cyberspace, and Anita Sarkeesian isn't a fifteen year old Kourier.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Yikes this sounds like an awful deal on Microsoft's end. They appearently wanted it though so eh.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
"Selling out" is compromising one's own artistic integrity for money. That's not what happened. This will allow Notch and Co. much greater artistic freedom than they previously had when they were tied to Minecraft.

This was "getting out" - getting out of the shadow of Minecraft for it's market value.

Even if Microsoft turns Minecraft into a travesty, that won't take away from the final version (or any previous version) of Minecraft that Mojang created. This isn't the Mona Lisa - in the digital age a copy is as good as any other copy and any version of a game which is obtainable can be played. So play your FAVORITE version of Minecraft, whichever version that is, with whatever mods maximize your experience.

Obviously many of us are disappointed who wanted the full Mojang crew to continue to work on Minecraft. But I'd rather they get out than continue to work on a project that they feel is restricting their artistic expression.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
And I'm just sitting here, nodding in approval. It's hard to tell what's going to happen to Minecraft now that MS is at the wheel, but I'd wager that they won't mess with it more than they have to. Port it to more consoles, but not much else. Little reason to mess with success, and I doubt even MS are that stupid.

As a fledgling dev myself, I have no real trouble seeing Notch's point of view, and I'd say he did the very best he could do of the situation. He is a creator and he really just wants to keep creating, but that giant, looming shadow of the Minecraft name is not one easily escaped. This way he can keep creating to his heart's content, and with that neat little fortune in his pocket, he doesn't really need to worry about financing his projects.
Someimes you just want to doodle. Just because one of those doodles turned out to be a gigantic masterpiece doesn't mean he wants to stop doodling for the joy of it. This way, he doesn't have the same pressure of people expecting every following doodle to match the masterpiece. Neither does he need to worry about being unable to affort pens and paper.

Keep on doodling, Notch. Keep on doodling.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I can understand Notch getting off the Minecraft team with all his other stuff going on. And I'd like to be optimistic that even the corporate-minded Microsoft would be able to see that if they cut modders off at the knees or add in microtransactions they will kill Minecraft and may as well have bought $2.5 billion worth of shit, but at the same time Microsoft will be wanting to make back what it can quickly.

I paid $15 for Minecraft before it was even out of beta and it's been constantly updated since, and I would vouch to say that most consistent players are like me--we paid our due a long time ago and continue to reap the benefits from the steady updates. Microsoft's number crunchers are not going to see this as a viable business model. Maybe they won't mess with the PC version, but I definitely see the pocket edition getting microtransactions so they can keep a steady flow of cash coming in.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012

After watching this video I can't blame him for wanting to distance himself get as far away from Minecraft as possible. I still think its sad to see the studio go to Microsoft of all companies but I doubt the base pc game will change. Its not like Microsoft can sell dlc for a game where every mod possible already exists for it

The White Hunter said:
I know, its like saying Disney bought Star Wars and "only" got the rights to some movies. Minecraft's brand is freaking huge. Microsoft can slap it on anything and print money

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I can't be the only one wondering what is going to happen to all the Minecraft Youtubers who may or may not get copyright claims on their entire catalog of videos..... Well I guess We'll see.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
gigastar said:
Well, i hope it was worth it for Microsoft.

Though im struggling to see what MS thought dropping $2bn on Mojang is going to get them. Yes, it gets them Minecraft, but that ships already sailed unless they start cranking out paid DLC and/or sequels.
I imagine that, like Angry Birds, much of the income will come from licensing and merchandise.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
RIP in peace Mojang, to the grinder you go.

And yeah, Notch is an absolute genius. "It's not about the money" *sells Mojang for 2.5 billion*.

Now I wanna see what will happen to the trillions of YouTube channels dedicated to Minecraft videos.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
It could be worse. It could have been bought by EA or Ubisoft.

Every cloud has a tin foil lining.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
dont forget the you tube monetization. certain very famous people make millions a year from their minecraft videos there...
so while im sure MS want to go for that sweet spot and start chewing through the neck to get to the sweet sweet cashflow.... if they go for it, they will loose the thing they want most.

see, if they actualy mess with 1.8, only a few die hard 360 fans will keep making streams and lets plays and so forth.
without the modpacks, there wont be any mod spotlights.
the only ones that would continue to get shown are map packs and redstone and the ocasional pvp map or monument or something spectacular done in redstone and command blocks.

with no vids, you cant make monetization for it being your new product.

if they DO want to monetize, the best way is things for their new windows phone stuff. maybe a skin uploader for WP app version of 2.0
sure, make apps for the iOS and Apple versions and android.
i would (personaly) still like to see a version with nintendo skins/ texture packs / mash ups like the halo and skyrim ones for a WiiU version (because come on.....think....WiiU's all over japan sitting un-minecrafted....small homes where you can only choose one that *everyone* in the famly will play, most often get the nintendo hardware becasue its small and cheap and even your kids / gran wont mind..its a totaly un-tapped cash pool.)
maybe a mobile version of the NEWnew3ds XL lol

maybe they will cease updating the non microsoft stuff once it reaches 1.8 level, and to be honest, i dont feel thats bad. maybe a bit unfair but hey, so long as the non Xbox1 stuff even GETS to 1.8 it would be worth what people paid for it on their console / handheld / phone / pad ect.

then there is the minecraft 2.0 for windows 8app, windows phone and Xbox1! hey, nice and new. (whatever)
but so long as they realize its dumbness of massive proportions to actualy cut off the current stuff (which they would still be making money from) to make a quick cash grab.
be smart, people at MS. 1.8 (on pc/mac/linux) gets frozen and then you can charge players to buy a new account for 2.0 if they want new stuff. (or migrate your old account to the new version provided you remember you cant use it to play outdated version..for free. casue then they can charge you for new content casue its not minecraft (1.8) its NewMinecraft2.0 we made it its our's remember)

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
ToastiestZombie said:
So how long until Minecraft: Nuts and Bolts is released?
Probably right after releasing Minecraft: Live & Reloaded...

OT: Well, hopefully those future Minecraft kinect games and the like become worth it in the long run... especially the Minecraft version of Dance Central...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
BeerTent said:
Internet fame scares good people from innovating more than once.

That's what the headline should be.
Some people don't have more than one in them anyway.
Good on him to cash out when he did.

Though right now, I'm damn glad I stuck with Terraria. I'd expect some unpleasant changes and/or concessions being made of Minecraft fans in the next couple of years, as I doubt even Microsoft wants to keep that $2.5 billion hole for long.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
RIP Mojang, we hardly knew ye. Except for the whole Minecraft thing. We know ye a lot because of that.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
JLF said:
That stumped me too after I read about the deal. Apparently Microsoft has gotten tired of having ten billion bucks burning a hole in its pocket and bought Nokia, patents and all, for $7.2 billion cash. Now with the leftover money, Mojang slips into Microsoft's stable.

Question: What would prompt one of the world's largest software companies effectively blow all of their on-hand cash? /conspiracytheory off.

As far as Mojang goes, I tip my hat to the shareholders on their profit. And to Notch, for improving his holdings from 42 percent to seventy percent in two years (yep, somebody sold to him before all this happened), I quote a bit of Dave Chappelle: "You can become famous but you can't become unfamous. You can become infamous but not unfamous."

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The smart move for getting more people to buy Minecraft, put a Minecraft: lite (creative only pre-redstone) on every Windows PC sold, possibly tablets as well, that is not a limited use demo. Would beat the normal solitare and chess that comes with Windows and a useful game to let parents get their kids to play (vs shooters or Farmville) without them having to look for something to let their kids play. From there it's just getting them to upgrade to the full version without forcing them to do so.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Watching the reaction to this topic is almost at Xbone levels of entertainment.
#BringThePopcorn

OT: Smart move by Notch and co, seriously if someone offered me $2.5 Billion for a mod or game project I had made I'd grab the nearest pen faster than Garfield finds lasagna lol.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
couldn't have sold it to a worse company. minecraft gonna be ruined by this. just like activision screwed up blizzard.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
spoonybard.hahs said:
Veylon said:
toms said:
BiH-Kira said:

Notch didn't own 100% of the company; he shared ownership with at least two other people. He just somehow became the public face of it, possibly because of his appearance in Indie Game: The Movie. He could - and did - step away to do other things and leave all decisions regarding development to the others.
He wrote the first game for the company, a game that the company was built around, that provided and provides the very basis of it's existence. I'll grant that other people deserve some praise/blame for the direction that Minecraft has gone lately, but it's still mostly his baby and he's still far and away the most important person at the company that owns it.

Though I have to give him a lot of credit for turning his Infiniminer-clone experiment into multiple billions of dollars.

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
Not only do I not blame Notch. I applaud him for having the fortitude to engage in a 2.5Bln dollar deal. I'm betting the discrepancy between the 2B and the 2.5Bln figures is Notch's negotiating team. Can you imagine being offered 2Bln, then going, oh... I need to make a counteroffer. Maybe I need to hire an appraiser, a negotiator, and a couple or lawyers or ten.

Microsoft can buy the community (for a while), but they can't buy the community's loyalty and they will never have the right or authority to keep it. Nobody can own a community, so it can't be sold. It has no cash value, and saying there is value in a products community is simply fluff and marketing to makes such unwieldy acquisitions easier to swallow.

Good job Notch. Bleed as much blood as you can get from Microsoft. It is your duty, as an newly minted entrepreneur, and as the creator you are.

For the community. It is not about the game, but how the game was played. Individual games may be unique, but like commodities they can be bought and sold. One may think that uniqueness makes something irreplaceable. In truth, it can be replicated, just like any other genre defining game in the industry.

Arnoxthe1

Dec 25, 2010
2 billion dollars... Whhhhhhhyyyyyy, Microsoft? I'm insanely curious now. Why the heck... Why that much?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Despite notch claims I do think that the main reason why he sold his company is the money, and considering how 2.5 billion dollars is enough to buy a African country I don?t blame him, stress might have played a part in getting him to sell it but I doubt it?s the main reason.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
My crystal ball tells me that everyone should be prepared for the explosion in Minecraft related toys and the new Minecraft TV show/cartoon.

All kidding aside (I'm not really kidding), I think the first thing Microsoft is going to do is double down on Minecraft Realms.

For people who don't know it's Mojang's own Minecraft hosting solution. Currently it's not the go to hosting solution for most diehard minecraft fans because it doesn't support modding content. If Microsoft adds that, then they can obviously leverage the Mojang brand and platform to put all the small Minecraft hosting providers out of business and take their customers.

The revenue stream here if they do it right could gross upwards in the hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

themilo504 said:
Despite notch claims I do think that the main reason why he sold his company is the money, and considering how 2.5 billion dollars is enough to buy a African country I don?t blame him, stress might have played a part in getting him to sell it but I doubt it?s the main reason.
Yeah, I can see where you're getting this from. Notch has never been all that enamored with his creation and he hasn't been actively involved in not only the development, but the direction of the game for years. Most of that has been left to Jeb and Dinnerbone. He certainly doesn't come across as someone who loves Minecraft as much as his fans do, since he handed it off to other people rather early on in it's release.

To be completely honest about it - the modders that create stuff like IC2, GregTech, Thaumcraft, Bloodmagic, Thermal Expansion, Build Craft, etc have really added the content to Minecraft that makes it capable of holding anyone's interest past a week. The actual stuff that Mojang puts out is... really lame in comparison. Plus, from actually looking at the code - It's not really great (It's okay, but not great). Granted, some of it is kind of old, but the way Notch abused openGL should be a crime :D The modding community has actually fixed many of the problems that Mojang keeps introducing...

Anyway, my point being - I don't think Notch is emotionally invested in Minecraft or has ever been. I don't even think he gets why his game is popular, which is kind of funny if you ask me. So - I think that he's been looking to get "out" of Mojang for a while now and do other stuff and Microsoft just walked up with 2.5 billion reasons to do so.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I really have to say good luck to him, I hope he somehow manages to make what he wants to make.

I hope what ever he makes from now on becomes famous enough for me to see it, but not so famous as to make him drop it.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
f1r2a3n4k5 said:
Ok, Notch, Ok. Sure this is about the stress of running a company you seem to really enjoy. And not at all about the fact that Microsoft offered you so much money, that its weight in thousand dollar bills could crush you.

Haha. I don't blame him at all. And you can't just come out and say, "Well, it came down to running a game company or having enough money to declare myself king of a small nation."
Word is Notch sought the deal with Microsoft, rather than Microsoft going to Notch.

kaocrat

Mar 22, 2009
Here's hoping that someone builds a suitable Minecraft replacement. I'm sure the core Minecraft experience will remain intact for a long time, even with Microsoft at the helm, but my expectation is that one of the first casualties of the acquisition is going to be the openness and customizability of the PC version. I've grown pretty bored with vanilla minecraft, but I'm a huge fan of heavily modded packs such as BloodNBones and Magic Farm. Was really looking forward to the modAPI, which I have to assume is not going to happen since Microsoft does not like to allow that sort of thing. It's a shame because each of the successive version updates seemed to be bringing the game closer to having a decent framework for running mods.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
This seems like a distinctly poor move for Microsoft and just plain bad for everyone who plays Minecraft. They've just spent two and a half billion on a company that has produced ONE product of any real note, meaning they'll probably have to try to make as much money as humanly possible from Minecraft alone to make it worth all that money. Normally I wouldn't think this would be a problem since it sells like hotcakes, but its sales have been declining since everyone and their gut biota already has it. Because of this, I foresee Microsoft adding some less savoury additions to the game to try and make up the difference, those leading many to abandon it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Good luck to any projects Notch plans on doing in the future. I am, however, worried that Microsoft will needlessly fuck this up.

Please don't, Microsoft, while you have any ounce of dignity in the gaming world. Because screwing up Minecraft will take more than its dignity.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Mojang's a one trick pony so they are right to sell it for a mountain of money and do whatever they want for the rest of their lives.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
michael87cn said:
couldn't have sold it to a worse company. minecraft gonna be ruined by this. just like activision screwed up blizzard.
EA.

Dec 16, 2009
Good on him, who can blame him for taking $2.5 Billion.
plus, who can blame him for wanting to get out of the lime light, the comments (not all) in these threads about him (not just this site) are so toxic.
"-there must be someone to blame for the thing I don't like, and I will disproportionately persecute the man I blame.
-someone offered him $2.5 Billion, for a one hit wonder. He owes me nothing, I think he's a sell out!!!"

well good for him, I'm jealous as hell. Can't see what MS are getting from this. the games probably seen the most out of its sales revenue. although I don't doubt there's merch revenue, I can't see it being $2.5 Billion's worth

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
f1r2a3n4k5 said:

Yes, gonna have to go with this.

If I created a game that I no longer was involved with, and someone offered me a huge amount of money to buy it, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

...Huh, guess it's true that everyone has their price.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Frezzato said:

If you ever met notch youd probably doubt its about the price. he just felt kind of like the guy that does want to be famous. he hated being in the spotlight and everyone expecting him to do everything right. he tried to get away from that with other projects but minecraft kept dragigin him in, so he decided to leave minecraft away. while i was not expecting that, i can understand that.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Darren716 said:
Man all those reference and no classic Ted Dibiase "everyone's got a price"?
Others had already made that reference so I thought I'd not steal their thunder. What people angry need to remember is money talks. Ching Ching, Bling Bling, Cut the Chatter, You ain't talking money, Then your talking don't matter.

Strazdas said:
If you ever met notch youd probably doubt its about the price. he just felt kind of like the guy that does want to be famous. he hated being in the spotlight and everyone expecting him to do everything right. he tried to get away from that with other projects but minecraft kept dragigin him in, so he decided to leave minecraft away. while i was not expecting that, i can understand that.
And you have than? You like one of those CM Punk fans who met the man once and now really "understands" him? Come across many such people in my time so the odds are good on that being the case.
Come on be fair now, treat him like any other. Why is Crytek so evil for "selling out", but he isn't? If you're going to show hate in other threads than make your hate equal opportunity at least.

Oh and so you don't misunderstand I'm not angry at him or any such thing. You should know by now that I see things how they are in reality, I don't attack people for making good business decisions or doing the opposite of what they told their marks[footnote]overzealous fans in this context FYI[/footnote] once upon time.
In fact I'm happy to see that the man really wasn't a mark like I said he wasn't (and others had claimed he was for a long time). Thinking about it...I likely gave him more respect then the majority...funny how that works. I love when these "betrayals" happen Maggle.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
And you have than? You like one of those CM Punk fans who met the man once and now really "understands" him? Come across many such people in my time so the odds are good on that being the case.
Come on be fair now, treat him like any other. Why is Crytek so evil for "selling out", but he isn't? If you're going to show hate in other threads than make your hate equal opportunity at least.
No. i have beehn told this from people who knew him (as in, actually knew him, not just met him once in a convention).

Crytek CEO is acting like a madman all over actually, so yes their case is highly different. your use of hate is also inapropriate to describe my feelings to either of them. stop building strawmen.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
No. i have beehn told this from people who knew him (as in, actually knew him, not just met him once in a convention).

Crytek CEO is acting like a madman all over actually, so yes their case is highly different. your use of hate is also inapropriate to describe my feelings to either of them. stop building strawmen.
So even weaker than I first surmised than...or perhaps just as weak... not much in it if there is a difference so irrelevant I suppose.

Hate, attack, loath, disparage, critique, insert whatever you like than. This "strawman" is basically at its core asking you "why do you treat the two differently?". You recognise this clearly, yet bother with throwing out the word Strawman? Why? There is no bonus points to be had here.

So a madman for like in this case taking what is evaluated as the best business decisions to make. Makes sense.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
This "strawman" is basically at its core asking you "why do you treat the two differently?".
Because the two are different. Notch Person selling his company and going back to do small stuff is not the same thing as Cevat Yerli going around talking nonesense.