Mojang Reveals Subscription-Based Minecraft Realms

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Monsterfurby said:
Hint: if you want your kids to play minecraft in a private, safe environment, just start a server in your LAN.

It's free!

Meanwhile, they still haven't given us arachnophobes a way to switch of spiders without going into peaceful mode...
The disadvantage of playing via LAN, though, is that it takes a lot more CPU to run than the average family computer can handle. It also eliminates the ability for anyone to access the world at any time, since the world is saved onto one computer.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
CJ1145 said:
I'm baffled that nobody sees the utility of this for parents who want their kids to be able to get the full Minecraft experience, but in an environment that is less threatening.
At least you caught the gist of the article. Frankly I think it's a great idea for parents to let their kids have a safe environment to explore online gaming.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Eliwood10 said:
The disadvantage of playing via LAN, though, is that it takes a lot more CPU to run than the average family computer can handle. It also eliminates the ability for anyone to access the world at any time, since the world is saved onto one computer.
Okay, fair enough.

I don't really see how their service will do well business-wise, but that's not my job to be concerned about either :)

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Seems like a nice idea for people who don't want to/can't run their own server.
As for me I have already got my 13 year old sister running her own server for herself and friends on the family PC. I should have the physical home server up and running soon so she can have it going 24/7.
She doesn't have a clue about the networking side of it but she can manage the actual server with no trouble.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Was there some kind of problem with minecraft as-is? I play the Xbox version so perhaps my view is a little limited, but I can't imagine there's much scope for inappropriate content. Just stick in a swear filter and the option to boot disruptive players and you're good, surely?

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
For those asking what is the difference between renting a server/playing LAN to getting one of these; its so that parents who have kids who want to play this game with other friends can rent them a server and monitor who joins and what they do. so they aren't renting server space and then setting it up themselves or limiting the fun to just their house and especially having their kids jumping into servers that their kids found posted in the youtube comments and talking to complete strangers.

after all, minecraft appeals to a load of kids and us "bigger kids" can play without censoring our activity on the off chance a kid jumps in because one of our members posted our I.p to the so real world to join.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Why couldn't they just use the single player mode? I guess if you don't know how to set up a LAN...

Now all that I can think is that were this a major publisher everyone would be calling how they are trying to gouge their customers.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
You know, I was a little dubious about this news. Then I remembered how difficult I found setting up a private server to be.

Let's just say I gave up on doing so 3 times.

Although for the not so tech-savvy consumer there is always the Xbox version? Piece of cake to set anything up there.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
While players building swastikas and calling me/my friends childish names doesn't bother me, this is a great idea.
The game has blown up in terms of popularity and I'm sure now all kinds of people play it.
If I was a parent, I'd want a nice easy way to ensure my child didn't have to be exposed to all the garbage players throw around.

@Twilight_guy As far as I remember, there is no single player mode anymore. Some time ago they merged MP and SP. There was a huge fuss about it on the MC forums.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I think it's a good idea. Parents are busy enough without being tasked with learning to setup and configure servers. Its a perfectly reasonable service.

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
CJ1145 said:
I'm baffled that nobody sees the utility of this for parents who want their kids to be able to get the full Minecraft experience, but in an environment that is less threatening.

I know that most of us being adults has caused us to, in general, forget about what we actually look like to a third party. But a bunch of foul-mouthed, dirty-minded chucklefucks probably isn't the sort of group the average parent wants to toss their child into. A setup like this that is more closely monitored could prevent their kids from meeting the more... unseemly sorts, while still letting them enjoy the game. They don't even have to be tech-savvy enough to start their own server to do so.
Exactly this, literally.

You stole the words from my mind and I'm suing you for it.

You bastard.

Seriously, this is the point.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Eehhh, this does seem dubious as hell. Sorry but I don't have enough blind faith in Mojang to say this doesn't look like money grubbing, cause it damn well does. I really can't see the whole "parents wanting a safe environment" thing being that big either, to warrant THIS anyway. Most parents (That aren't tech savvy) have no idea what their kids are doing on the PC as it is and won't care about this, those that do could usually figure out how to rent another server, or setup a local one.

And, a lot of people seem to be treating these "kids" like god damn toddlers. Most, if not all of them are teenagers, 10+, perhaps I put to much faith in my younger brother (13), but I'm pretty sure he could figure out how to run a damn server himself, it really isn't difficult if you can read.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
Elate said:
Eehhh, this does seem dubious as hell. Sorry but I don't have enough blind faith in Mojang to say this doesn't look like money grubbing, cause it damn well does. I really can't see the whole "parents wanting a safe environment" thing being that big either, to warrant THIS anyway. Most parents (That aren't tech savvy) have no idea what their kids are doing on the PC as it is and won't care about this, those that do could usually figure out how to rent another server, or setup a local one.

And, a lot of people seem to be treating these "kids" like god damn toddlers. Most, if not all of them are teenagers, 10+, perhaps I put to much faith in my younger brother (13), but I'm pretty sure he could figure out how to run a damn server himself, it really isn't difficult if you can read.
I know a kid who loves the game. 6 years old. It's a very simple game, and it isn't too difficult to learn (although mastering it is difficult to be sure). Also, a lot of people don't have the hardware power to run a server, and trying to setup a server with a thirdparty company can often be shady as heck. And its the internet. I knew when I was growing up, till I was about 10 or 11, my parents monitored my time on the internet (and that was before troll/online harassment culture had really developed). I don't think its that far outlandish that some parents will go for this.

I don't think it will be successful by any means. Demand can't be high enough for reasonable profit, and trolls will hack onto the servers anyway. But as long as they don't touch players' ability to make servers, I really don't see it as something to get worked up about.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
People. It's a server rental. This exists as a third party service, so what the hell is wrong with Mojang doing the same? Just ignore it and run your own private server, it's still allowed.
WanderingFool said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Safe and easy for kids? So no Creepers? Don't they already have a peaceful mode?
Different kind of creepers...
That's a nice chastity you got there...

(Captcha: "Oh yes". God dammit captcha. Must you make this even more creepy?)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so basically they are sellnig a private server hosting services with an excuse of "think for the children" lunacy.

I know that most of us being adults has caused us to, in general, forget about what we actually look like to a third party. But a bunch of foul-mouthed, dirty-minded chucklefucks probably isn't the sort of group the average parent wants to toss their child into.
not sure what servers you hang in but to me minecraft actuallyl ooks like some magic place since i havent ever met a person that you could put into the "bad community like lol guy". the worst i got was a guy coming in to attempt killing me in my own backyard and when failing telling me he will continue harassing me till i stop playing, without any swear words mind you. if you want to protect kids dont let them play COD, not minecraft.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
AC10 said:
Worgen said:
I still don't get the point of this? I mean its not like people aren't already running minecraft servers. Is this just renting a server from Mojang or something?
I don't really get it either.
Just download the server client and run the server on a LAN for free. You get complete control over it and the environment.
Take exactly what you just said and then use that as explanation to say...my mother...see what reaction you get. Everyone in this thread who says "Why dont you just do it yourself through your LAN" knows waaaaaaaaaay more than your average parent or teacher, and I think you completely overestimate how much an average person knows.

In short, its basically server renting for non-techies hosted by Mojang, and will probably have functionality and user friendliness scaled to fit that demographic. Good idea overall.

Elate said:
Same to you. And on top of setting up the server, you need to deal with firewalls, port-forwarding etc etc. Setting up a server is annoying even for people like us who know what we are doing, having parents or young(ish) teens or kids trying to set it up? Or asking your parents to set it up? Not as easy as it sounds.