Mojang's Debut Third-Party Title (Probably) Arrives This Friday

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Mojang's Debut Third-Party Title (Probably) Arrives This Friday

Cobalt, the first third-party title to be published by Minecraft developer Mojang, should arrive this Friday.

Like Minecraft before it, Oxeye Games' Cobalt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112421-Mojang-Unveils-Their-First-3rd-Party-Game] will be released in an alpha state and updated with content over time. Presumably buying the game at launch nets you a discount, at least if the launch of Minecraft is anything to go by, but there's no official word on pricing as of yet.

"We haven't told anyone [about the release date] yet because we're aiming for Friday, but we don't know if we can make it," Mojang managing director Carl Manneh told Edge Online, "but I think we can."

"We're also looking at the roadmap: What is the minimum release we can get out in the first version?" explained Manneh. "Then [we need] a plan to update the game to really make sure that people understand that this is the first step in many iterations to come."

Cobalt is a fun-looking, little puzzle-platformer with a nice aesthetic, great music and a whole boat-load of slow motion, as demonstrated by the announcement trailer in the top right.

Along with Minecraft and the upcoming Scrolls, Cobalt will be accessable from one central Mojang account, which sounds very similar to Blizzard's Battle.net content delivery setup. Players currently have to opt in to the unified account system, however. Mojang apparently wasn't keen on dumping all 18 million Minecraft users into the system all at once.

Source: Edge Online [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/mojang-hoping-release-cobalt-friday]

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
Not sure how they could do a similar alpha-beta-release schedule the same way Minecraft was done.

Going by what I've seen from this trailer, it's a platformer with a linear progression as opposed to Minecraft being the open world with a (possible) brand new experience with each world and play style.

I just don't think such a module is suited outside of that open world/randomly generated experience.