Molyneux Outs First Post-Lionhead Project: 22 Experiments

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Molyneux is about as relevant to my gaming existence as I am to a super model's sex life.

You can only offer up so many fantastically overblown flops in a row before I write you off, Peter, and you've delivered that in barrels.
off topic....where did you get that red riding hood avatar?

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Spot1990 said:
Namehere said:
Well I'm waiting to hear whether this is a pay as you go experiment - AKA Game in instalments. If its one of those he can keep it. Aw hell it's Molyneux. Frankly if its free I'd just as soon he kept it. But for all you fans I hope you didn't just become the local dairy cow volunteering for a milking. Or worse yet, the idiot who sat in the dunk tank chair and went for a fall only to get soaked.

I know, its a cynical view. What can I say the game's industry doesn't just make polished turds these days, it seems to make games that reflect the industry... Hell it isn't even a wavy image just straight up, one brass polished turd coming up! Their like line order cooks with that...

PS
I'm out of milk
FU
Jesus, this is like stream of conciousness cynicism right here.

But yeah everyone knows games were so much better way back when and it has nothing to do with nostalgia or the fact that we conveniently forget most of the bad games.
When I said "games that reflect the industry" I actually meant the 'industry'. As in sloppy bordering on criminal business policies and customer treatment that's garbage. Not as in, all MMOs suck. Or I hate FPSs or even that I need another Fable. I meant to say the industry sucks and now because of the models their using so do their games in a lot of cases. Hope I cleared that up.

I would add that a lot of MMOs coming out now suck as well, from premise to play it's starting to look desperate to me. I mean, a Star Wars MMO with rail shooting? Even STO did a better job in space then that. Of course STO's ground episodes were terrible so there's that to.

Try out Sins of a Solar Empire? I love that game, pre-ordered it for the Rebellion Beta. I hate the business models out there, not necessarily the games. Which is why I said the 'industry' and didn't name a game.

And I won't accept criticism of anything from someone who hasn't seen the Odd Couple and doesn't love the rant: 'I see this note. It says: 'We're out of milk. FU.' It took me three hours to figure out you meant Felix Unger!' Not a perfect quote and I doubt I got the last name right, but that's what I had in mind. Hope that clarifies things for you. Strange post to nitpick over. So I'm not a Molyneux fan? If that's what you take umbrage with then sorry I responded. I didn't insult people for liking his games, I just happen to dislike them. Not like I'm flaming the forum here or something.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
He asks "Why can't we have stories about me?"

I ask, Why would I want a story about me?
I play games to escape me. Why would I want to play a game where I sit around being unemployed and jerking off all day? That's a terrible game. That's the world I want to escape from!

Silly Peter.

edit;

OOOOH I GET IT. He means that we should all play games about him!
So it would be a game about a guy who comes up with great ideas but only manages to make a game which contains 1% of said ideas?
Peter, just make us another Dungeon Keeper and we'll love you again.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
I'm honestly looking forward to this. I love hearing about ol Pete's work. It's like he's one of the ONLY people who is excited to be in the video games industry these days. To me, getting too upset with his failures is like getting upset at a puppy for forgetting to bring back the stick you threw, and brought back a different stick with a lot of missing branches.

Granted, most sticks don't set you back $60, but I still enjoy playing with the sticks brought back.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Oh dear.

You know, Peter, you might be fed up with highly scripted games by bad novelists, but those have so far been THE BEST GAMES available. Half-Life, Deus Ex, you name it. Even supposed open-world RPGs just give you freedom to level up and explore the world, but everything story-related is choke-pointed and scripted.

It turns out that the technology to build the game of your dreams just isn't there yet. We don't have semi-strong AIs that can just make up a narrative along the way.
And sadly, you haven't really done much to alleviate that. For while you certainly talked a lot about freedom and player choice, your games were usually ... underwhelming.

So understand if I'm not exactly bracing myself.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
"Why the hell would I want a game about Peter Molyneux?" was was what i thought when I read this article.

For all his choice about player choice, Molyneux has always been one of the worst offenders when it comes to restricting it. And quite frankly if he told me the sky was blue I'd assume he was lying through his teeth and not even bother to check.

As several people have already said in this thread, the man is a hack.

EDIT: speling

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Ralen-Sharr said:
Flailing Escapist said:
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Pretty please? We could use something completely new.
it'll either be awesome or horrible. Peter Molyneux usually goes to one end of an extreme or another.

and on that note....

please be awesome
He's the Nic Cage of gaming I tell you.
please be awesome

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
you know... moving away from AAA game production, to indie games might what he needed... after all AAA games tend to not take risk of innovating their game, or introducing new IPs

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Hope it'll be at least as good as the Peter Molydeux bash. I can't think of anything better than a game in which Rambo has to hug all the people he's killed.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Ickabod said:
Based on Peter's appreciation of Minecraft and it's openness, I have a hunch that he might pull something off this time.
I'm hoping for something like this as well. While there's been a few unoriginal clones of Minecraft to come out of the wood-works, I would still say the fundamental concept behind it of a endless procedurally generated game is still largely untapped.