Molyneux Promises Two, Three, Many Fables

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Molyneux Promises Two, Three, Many Fables

According to ambitious game developer Peter Molyneux, Fable II is not going to mark the end of the franchise.

The developer said he and his team at Lionhead Studios have a third, fourth, and even fifth Fable in their minds' eye.

"It's a big story arc, and you can see that if you've played Fable II you'll recognize things from Fable," (pictured) he said.

Fable II, an action role-playing-game which took 150 people three years to make, will be released in October.

Molyneux, who previously hinted at a desire to work on an MMOG, also said he may be working on a sports or racing game, explaining that he has always been "fascinated by challenges" and unimpressed with the limitations present in both genres' current crop of games.

Source: Gamespot.com [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195116.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3]

Feb 13, 2008
Heh.

Anyway, Doesn't anyone ever just tell Molyneux that telling everyone he's going to save the world of gaming is far more dangerous than just thinking it...?

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
Two things;

Not only that, but Peter Molyneux announced that alongside this he is working on a secret project - a concept that they initially used in a simple sandbox is now being developed into a central game element in this secret project.

Peter did not say he 'may be' working on those genres - he was asked what he would like to do in the far future, and he answered that once these games are done he'd love to take on challenges, so no, Lionhead as far as we know are not making a sports or racing game. Gamespot kinda misquoted him there - as I said the original question was what he would LIKE to do in the future, not what he may or may not be doing.

I wish I could post my source but I watched the full interview on the Xbox Live Dashboard, so I don't know if I could find it elsewhere.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Well, I think that before you can make any conclusion about if this is a good idea or not you need to play Fable 2. Fable might have been a one hit wonder, if Fable 2 is bad then more would obviously be bad. Still before I really say anything on the matter I will wait for Fable2.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
conqueror Kenny said:
Well, I think that before you can make any conclusion about if this is a good idea or not you need to play Fable 2. Fable might have been a one hit wonder, if Fable 2 is bad then more would obviously be bad. Still before I really say anything on the matter I will wait for Fable2.
I'm not sure Fable was good enough to be called a one hit wonder. Ol' Petes got some work to do if he wants more Fables to be made...

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
I don't think I really even care. I own the first fable, but I decided to be evil. The only variation was in the arena and the first quest. Otherwise you wind up doing the same things for storyline. There's no reward in doing evil then.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm a bit worried that this means that Fable 2 won't have any decent resolutions in it because they will be played out in 3, 4 and 5.
I'm really looking forward to Fable 2 but this announcement kind of cheapens it for me.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Hmm, I guess good for me. Fable 1 was good just had a lot a flaws that really showed. Fable 2 looks like they opened it up a bit and straightend out most of them. But what I'm wondering, if number 1 is set back in swords and magic, 2 brings it to more chivlary and muskets, what will 3, 4 and 5 be like? By 7 will it be Cyberpunk Fable?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ahh, poor Pete. They should really try and keep his mouth shut at times, motor lips as they are.

As for Fable 2, I'm looking forward to it, and maybe they'll do 3, 4, and 5 (Resident evil is on 5, no?). Either way, if he does, it'll be interesting, I hope, but obviously everyone should wait and see what happens with Fable 2 first.

I do admire Peter in a few ways - he thinks big, tries to reduce the limitations of genres, and all that. Although he does tend to promise Earth and all the heavens and fail. Still, we'll see. They managed to keep his gob shut up until the last few months or so, so hopefully most of the stuff he talks about is already implemented given its out October (I think Wiki said)

Ve1ociraptor

Jul 3, 2008
Well, let's see, presuming Fable 1 was set in the High Middle Ages (so around 1000-1100) that would date Fable 2 at 16 or 17th century, which would be fairly accurate, as that's when the whole "gunpowder" fad all these young rapscallions are talking about now came in.

So, presuming again that each title jumps 500 years, Fable 3 would be set around present-day, Fable 4 would be 2500-ish, and Fable 5 would be somewhere close to the 31st century (I think that's what he said: 3 more).

As for jumping ahead 500 years every installment, that's the only reason I can think of for jacking the total up to 5 because, well, what kind of a number is 5? Seriously, it's not quite enough to be a double trilogy, and you can't even tack on the awesome "quadrilogy" title the Alien movies had. (Sure, there's sexrilogy or something, but that's just lame)

So, the only reason to have 3 more coming is if Molyneux has got some craaazy plot thing happening that'll bring democracy to China or whatever there's no real point for more Fables. I mean, sure, I loved Fable as much as every second WRPG lover does, but Fable is a small franchise. How much money do you think you can milk out of them before they dry up?

Hey, on a side note, maybe we'll see Halman in the 3000's Fable 5.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ve1ociraptor said:
Hey, on a side note, maybe we'll see Halman in the 3000's Fable 5.
You know, I'm really tempted now to try and get a Fable 2 mod that includes HAL or HALMAN in ;).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Please Petey, don't get ahead of yourself. You tend to overpromise your games, but I personally can't wait for the poop-scoop mini game in Fable 6 as only then will technology be advanced enough to fully simlulate the smartest dog in the world!

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
I would play Cyberpunk Fable.
Totally.(*edit; oh wait, Deus Ex)
I... liked Fable(I suppose we're going to have to start calling it Fable 1 aren't we...*sigh* NO) for it's concept. I got bored quickly of the repetitive button mashing. Yes now with more choice, except you're still going to get RSI from hacking through fifty mindless nasties, and if the videos are anything to go by, then that's exactly what we'll recieve.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa Molyneux... let's just see how the second one fares, then we'll talk.

No, no, don't call us, we'll call you.