Mom Calls 911 Over Son's Non-Stop Gaming

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
You know, it makes sense that 'kids these days' would have a great deal more difficulty dealing with gaming addiction than those of us who grew up on the NES, PS1 and older.

When I first played video games, they were a fun, different type of distraction...frequently played with my brother. Our major games were Battletoads and the various mario games. These games are not particularly riddled with story or competition. It's just simple fun for a few hours at the most, even as a young kid.
Honestly, can any of you say you can sit down and hungrily play through 8-10 hours of Super Mario Bros. 3, reluctantly go to bed and think of nothing else but going back to play for many more hours? Maybe when it first game out to -really- big geeks.

Yet 10 hours is still a standard volume of time to devote to an afternoon raid in WoW, or any RPG with a good story, or even multiplayer games where your friends and enemies berate you for your lack of skill, driving you forward.

Games today are MADE to be as addicting and immersive as possible, to provide as much entertainment as possible, to hook you in and make you say 'just one more quest, just one more job, just a few more hours and I go up in rank and can get a better gun...'.

Because I grew up on games that played similar roles to movies...a few hours of entertainment, I easily learned the sort of restraint and sense of time passing while gaming needed to keep me from starving to death in front of Dragon Age Origins (though you can tell it's a good game when time flies, I still went to bed at a decent hour last night even as I neared the final battle).
I know some kids who do very little else but play games in their free time...no reading, drawing, running around outside...why feel the limitations of your own imagination, skill and human form when you can do anything you want in a game? As they get older and feel rebellious against their 'good for nothin' parents, it's so much easier to just lose yourself in a game and ignore the cruel world of high school and indignant slavery to oppressive parents...it becomes a haven, rather than a distraction, and young teenagers become so emotionally vested in their gaming world that all their energy and aggression, formally spent outdoors or something, is funneled right into their microphones.

There are plenty of adults out there who lose themselves to games like WoW, because they have no willpower for whatever other reasons, but personally I think it's 10 times harder for a kid growing up today on these addicting games to understand why it's important to learn restraint and time management for the adult world.

I'm just kinda rambling here, so my apologies for the wall of text. It's something I spend a lot of time thinking about, as someone who is equally bonded to gaming and creative expression (two hobbies which do not always compliment each other).

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Nimbus said:
Really? That's the conclusion you got from this post? I immediately though that she must be a religious nutjob who shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Seriously, your kid stays up a little late and you call the police? I can't even imagine what was going through her messed-up head.
Why would you be surprised of my conclusion when yours involves religion, which I don't think was part of the story at all? The kids was up at 2:30 AM. That isn't a little late, dude.

Edit: I did not see the part about support from her church. I actually heard about this story yesterday on the news, as I am right outside Boston, but they didn't mention that quote. Still, if she is a single mother trying to raise a kid it's probably a good thing she has support, and it certainly doesn't make her a nutjob.
CommyGingerbreadMan said:
chronobreak said:
As a parent, I can only imagine what kind of little shit this kid must be and what he puts his poor mother through. She needs to mom up, and give the damn console away to someone, but if she has this much trouble disciplining her son maybe if she did that the kid would go psycho on her. She's probably afraid of him to some degree to let him walk all over her like that.

Also, from the looks of the story, she's a single mom. This kid is just a brat, too bad the cops couldn't take him away for a bit.
WoaWoa, geese, he was playing a little past bed time, over Winter break from school. No damage done. I don't condone not listening to your mom, but to call the police for this? She's lucky she didn't get a fine for this trivial matter. And giving the console away? Really? And walking all over her? If she let him walk all over her, she wouldn't have called the police. Clearly the mom is the one with more issues then the kid. Ya know what I got into a fight about with my mom the other day? The sink not working. Kids have a sense of rebellion and will argue about the color of the sky if their parents say anything about it. This isn't new AT ALL.

I can see the afraid of him, as she did resort to ACTUALLY calling the police, but that's from frivolous mass hysteria created by the media about "Kids being in murder simulators, OOOOOOHHHH"
Yeah, she is lucky she didn't get a fine. This is certainly not what the police are supposed to be handling, not that I ever said it was. The kid doesn't even seem like he learned a lesson from it or anything, either, so what a waste. When I read this story, I see a kid who isn;t listening to his parent, and a mother who must be incredibly desperate or at her wits end doing something irrational.

If it was your kid, you wouldn't get rid of the console, if he or she was not listening to you when you told them to shut the damn thing off? I'm just assuming here, obviously, but I doubt this is the first time this has happened. I'm sure it has been quire a thorn in her side for some time, watching her kid play video games all the time, if that is the case. She needs to put her foot down.

As for your last point, murder simulators have nothing to do with what I said. It's nothing to do with the media, either, it is between this woman and her son. I guess I shouldn't have commented at all, considering the general population of the forum, but I hope I am not the only one who saw it from this perspective when I read it. Any other parents out there?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
"I have support from my church, but I'm alone," she told the Boston Herald. "I want to help my son, but I can't find a way."

He had apparently been playing Grand Theft Auto, an "exceedingly violent" game that Mejia said she strongly disapproved of. "I would never buy that kind of video. No way," she said. "I called [the police] because if you don't respect your mother, what are you going to do in your life?"
This lady has more problems then a squirrel in a blender. I want to correct her for the off-chance she goes to this gaming website and cares enough to read my comment. In which case i restate my original statement.

How did you not allow him to play the game. before u went to bed you obvilosly went into the same room as him and saw him playing it. It's a "video game" not simply a video. And keep religon out of this. Otherwise i will beat you with a copy of GTA

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Flos said:
Now, y'see, she should have just picked up the console and thrown it out the window.

That's parenting.
No that's wasting about $300.

That mom sounds kind of...dumb. Calling the cops on your son b/c he wouldn't stop playing games? Really? And if he stayed up on a Friday night, unless he had something important to do on Saturday, so what?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
And here I was thinking that misuse of emergency lines for non-emergencies was both dangerous and stupid, as any resources directed towards your bullshit 'emergency' are resources not available for real ones. Turns out it was actually the solution to being a crappy parent all along, boy was my face ever red!

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you that you'd call the police over 'child playing video-games and not sleeping'?

Jun 6, 2009
Amnestic said:
"I would never buy that kind of video. No way,"
Then how did he get it? Stores generally have a policy against selling to minors.

As someone who pulled more than one all-nighter playing games, I fail to see what the mother is getting all stressed about. Calling the police because your teenage child doesn't listen to you is...

Well, just a bit of an overreaction in this case.
Thank you! As soon as I read that sentence I was thinking the same thing!

"Wouldn't buy that kind of video" my ass.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, what a waste of valuable police time. Parents, if your child doesn't listen when you tell them to stop, don't call the police. That's stupid. Like this mother.

The moron.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
There's one thing not wanting her son to play M rated games.... But calling the police over it?

"They were just like, 'Chill out. Go to bed'," the boy said.
I lol'd at this.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
HELLGAS103 said:
No that's wasting about $300.

That mom sounds kind of...dumb. Calling the cops on your son b/c he wouldn't stop playing games? Really? And if he stayed up on a Friday night, unless he had something important to do on Saturday, so what?
It's not a waste. That's $300 less in counseling fees the kid will need to cure his video game addiction.

Seriously though, the mom probably paid for the system anyways, she can do whatever she wants with it, including disciplining her child. Maybe him straightening up a little would be worth $300.

Also, the kid didn;t follow the rules. There is no "So what?", that doesn't matter. He is living under her roof, with her providing him everything he needs, and then some if he's playing video games. He is not in the right, no matter how you slice it. Don't automatically judge her as dumb, she just made a bad decision, one that may have been caused by sheer desperation.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
The worst part of the story is that the police actually responded. Must've been a lazy night in Boston or something - no actual criminals to be pursuing, no need to be on-hand if a real crime occurs.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of how to fail as a parent.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Disaster Button said:
"I have support from my church"

Is it wrong that I read that and though, "well that explains everything"?
I think most people on here think that.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
If you have to call the police to get your son to stop playing video games then I don't think your doing a very good job as a parent....

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I have to say it.
"Beat your children." What is it with parents not instilling a sense of consequence in their children?
It has been said to death but I don't think any of them are getting it. Parents are to blame for the behavior of their children.