Moments in non-horror games that scared the shit out of you?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Has there been stuff in non-horror games that made you completely shit yourself, or made you feel quite uneasy?

The first time I went into the Old Chateau in Pokemon Diamond and saw some actual ghost dude float away, I was LIKE OH SHIT! And ran the hell out of there. Of course I had to go back in to get Rotom :mad:

Also the music is fuckin creepy.

Captcha: wash whites separately
Yeah that's appropriate :|

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Especially when playing as eastern factions.

The 'Bottom of the Well' minidungeon of OoT creeped me the fuck out as a kid. Strangely Shadow Temple didn't so much.

Other than that, not really. Stuff that bothers me tends to be confined to horror or survival genres (FEAR, Metro, Stalker, etc).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
OneCatch said:
Especially when playing as eastern factions.
Man, my Byzantine Empire sure is expanding rather well. I'm totally gonna win this game. Oh, what's this notification... *Punches computer in rage after twenty straight turns of having my ass handed to me*
Seriously, fuck the Mongols and their damn OPness.

Mine would be the only trace we see of Scarecrow in Arkham City. I've only shouted "oh, shit!" in two games. Dead Space and at this part. I'll post a video in the spoiler.

I might also add the Asylum from the new Thief game. Haven't played it, I've only seen it online.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Hitman Contracts as a memorable one.

And somehow I am always nervous while playing Terrorist Hunt in Rainbow Six Vegas (especially in the first one and especially in the Library map), when there are only around two guys left and they can show up from anywhere and blow your head off with one shot. It gets really tense and claustrophobic.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Minecraft. Anytime you are down a cave with more than you want to lose, especially if you get lost. Monsters lurk. Attempts to dig upwards meet water. Your food supply dwindles. Oh noes!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Every time I'm forced into a stealth section like the Castle Courtyard in Ocarina of Time or, any time I'm in a racing tutorial/ race mission in any-given GTA. I just hate these and know that I can't make progress with the story until I've made it to the end. I know that there is a great chance I could fail that mission/section and be stuck for minutes-to-hours trying to get past (minutes for forced stealth, hours for those fucking racing missions).

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
Minecraft, just exploring a giant dark cave you stumbled across, minding your own business. Not knowing the little path way you walked down had another path above it with creatures on it. Then having a zombie and a spider fall on your head at the same time. Nearly pissed my pants and legit screamed for a second.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Pagemaster adventure game. Granted, there was a horror section that specialized on this, but the whole game was... eerie. Animation was jerky and any sudden movement freaked the hell out of me. This turned to happen a lot whenever you stepped into a new area, so there was always a vague around-the-corner menace lurking about. The game was particularly unforgiving if you took a wrong turn, deducting points and even sending you all the way back to the beginning if you somehow fucked up.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i was more scared by that sea monster in okami than im confortable admiting

it was tension more than anything, there you were, painting some water lilies on the sea and then, A FUCKIN SEA SERPENT OUT OF NOWHERE! im certainly not much of a horror game guy, i get scared way too easily, but i was surprised of how much this got to me, even for my standards

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
The Giygas end fight, creeped me out so much that decades later I still have a vivid recollection of it. It just seemed to come out of nowhere since the game was generally light-hearted and not that dark.

I might as well toss some of the stages/bosses in Lifeforce in there; the propensity for eyeballs, tentacly-things and throbbing organs certainly made me queasy at times.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
The first time you see the flood in the first Halo scared the shit out of me and my buddy. It was like 3 in the morning and we were playing in the basement but it was awesome/scary!

CriminalScum

Mar 17, 2012
In recent memory, there was the Asylum level from the new Thief. Although I've heard, though haven't experienced for myself, that Thief has a history of doing that sort of thing.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Given I don't really consider it a horror game, mine would have to be from Call of Pripyat.
I was on my way to a warehouse, and while on the way, had just picked myself up a shiny new assault rifle, one of the better ones in the game. However, being the tremondous idiot that I am, I didn't bother checking the condition of it, which would have made me aware of the fact that it was almost broken and the enemy I got it from propably shouldn't have even been able to shoot at me.

Anyways, as I'm continuing along, I finally get to the warehouse. Nighttime had come along, and a storm had set in, so it was really dark, my only illumination coming from the odd bolt of lightning. As I get inside the warehouse, I hear a pack of wild dogs circling the building. No big deal, but given the darkness and the storm, I was a little more on edge. I got further inside the building, the howling of the dogs growing more frequest, and much closer. They'd gotten inside.

As I enter the main large floor of the warehouse, I notice in the warehouse a crashed helicopter, so I head on over and put my back to it, keeping the dogs from being able to get me from behind. I notice in the next flash of lightning the dogs circling in the building, but I'm thinking to myself, "Oh yeah man I got this," as I raise the assault rifle up to iron sights. The lightning flashes, I pull the trigger:

*click* as the gun jams.

I damn near shit my pants. That part was entirely unscripted, too, which made it beautiful in retrospect.

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
funksobeefy said:
The first time you see the flood in the first Halo scared the shit out of me and my buddy. It was like 3 in the morning and we were playing in the basement but it was awesome/scary!
I love the part of that level that happens right before you find the recording.

After you blast your way through the covenant forces guarding the base, all resistance just... stops. You keep looking, turning back and forth expecting an ambush at any moment. Then you start finding the bodies.

It's the sort of thing that can really only work once, but then and there it set the tone fantastically.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Any big fish in the water in video games ever. With the exception of Darksiders, I can't stand feeling helpless in the water as a giant fish comes out of nowhere and attacks you. Zelda, Okami, Ty, Far Cry 3 (DAMN those crocodiles)... I hate 'em all. I'm surprised I've gotten through as many games as I have with this stupid irrational fear. It's not even the REAL ocean I have issues with, it's video game oceans and waters.

Other than that generalized "oh shit" moment, I don't know if Arkham Asylum counts as a horror but in the medical facility there's a head in a jar and my sister told me to zoom in... I thought I was going to cry from fear. It was just... so jarringly terrifying and I can't explain why.

Snydeclyde

Jun 23, 2012
The Silent Boy in The Wardens Office on Bioshock Infinite,
I had to pause the game and take a quick 'time out' after that bit.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
Any big fish in the water in video games ever. With the exception of Darksiders, I can't stand feeling helpless in the water as a giant fish comes out of nowhere and attacks you... Okami...
When in Okami are you attacked by big fish? You mean the creatures in the haunted ship?

OP: Speaking of Okami, the haunted ship. The giant seaweed hands, the ghosts of boss fights past, the trick treasure chests... they're all pretty fucking scary in light of the rest of the game.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
I remember this part in Fable II making me jump out my skin.

Sure it's not the scariest thing possible, but it really freaked me out the first ever time it happened while playing through.

sovietmisaki

Sep 2, 2012
Snydeclyde said:
The Silent Boy in The Wardens Office on Bioshock Infinite,
I had to pause the game and take a quick 'time out' after that bit.
I remember nearly getting a heart attack from that guy my first time around :D

The first time I met the Sorrow in Metal Gear Solid 3 was freaky as hell for me with that ghostly spiral attack of his, and him being able to make you see everyone you killed off during your run up to that point (I tend to be kind of ruthless)

The Amongst the Dead level in Medal of Honor: Underground: the first time I ran into those armored guards in the basement area in the castle.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Tnekrtena said:
I remember this part in Fable II making me jump out my skin.

Sure it's not the scariest thing possible, but it really freaked me out the first ever time it happened while playing through.
is your avatar from master reboot?

its an interestign indie game but I hate jumpscares so...bit of conflict there

OT: Bioshock Infinite Burial at sea isn't exactly a horror game but some elements were suposed to be unsettling

[spoiler/]the Labotomy scene...this wasn't just a cheap jump scare this was pure OH MY GOD NO NO NO NO THEY DID NOT level horror, I literlaly squirmed in my office chair, unable to watch[/spoiler]

that and whenever I see a Sectopod in XCOM...its not fear so much as a resigned sense of dread