Moments of Briliance in Crap Movies

Retsam19

Dec 6, 2010
Oly J said:
Jake Abel as Luke Castellan in the Percy Jackson movies, the best and perhaps only really good casting choice that they kept in the movie (Ray Winstone as Ares would also have been good if he wasn't cut out) I haven't seen Sea of Monsters yet, but after Lightning Thief I'm not sure I want to
The second movie is much better. Admittedly, I've never seen the first, but just from descriptions (and from other people's opinions as well) I can say that the second is much less of a soul crushing disappointment.

It's not a phenomenal movie by any means, but it was pretty fun to watch. It at least was good enough that I'll be disappointed if the third movie doesn't come out.

(Also: Nathan Fillion as Hermes. Firefly reference included. 'Nuff said.)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Just about everything that comes out of M Bison's mouth in the Street Fighter movie. You can just tell that the actor is having the time of his life.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The Hong Kong harbor battle in Pacific Rim. Almost made the rest of that interminable mess worth sitting through.

I'm also tempted to say the entire running length of "Mannequin", which manages to be totally loveable despite being indisputably one of the worst movies ever made.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I like the B&W end credits of Twilight set to Radiohead's 15 Step.
Easily the best part of the movie.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Nicolas Cage in The Wicker Man (2006 variety) completely defines this concept.

[Youtube]0Pe4GzksYI8[/Youtube]

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
The beginning part of Drive, because it really sets the tone for a brilliant 80's soaked nostalgic getaway movie.

Shame that the rest of the movie was a boring, pretentious, and poorly written piece of crap IMO. The relationship between Ryan Gosling, and the love interest in particular was laughably forced. There was so much potential wasted on that film, it could of been amazing.

Also, Open Graves was a lame and boring adult Jumanji ripoff, but at least the deaths in the film were pretty creative, and kind of unpredictable. Like the guy who got rip to shreds by a bunch of crabs.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
There were two scenes in the Equilibrium. One of them is when son reveals that he had been acting like a model citizen all this time to protect himself and his little sister from his father this whole time which was immensely more interesting than anything else in the film and could be a film on its own.

the other one is when Bale tries to save a dog from the cops without raising suspicion. That was a delightfully awkward and memorable moment in an otherwise plastic film.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
The beginning part of Drive, because it really sets the tone for a brilliant 80's soaked nostalgic getaway movie.

Shame that the rest of the movie was a boring, pretentious, and poorly written piece of crap IMO. The relationship between Ryan Gosling, and the love interest in particular was laughably forced. There was so much potential wasted on that film, it could of been amazing.
Thank god I'm not the only person who really didn't get into the storyline of that film. Never got the hype.

The vibe is the best think about it, agreed.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
Jazoni89 said:

Thank god I'm not the only person who really didn't get into the storyline of that film. Never got the hype.

The vibe is the best think about it, agreed.
We are not the only one's, the guys over at cracked also agree it's a overrated POS.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-recent-movies-that-got-way-more-praise-than-they-deserved/

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Zombie Apocalypse (2011).

God-awful movie with terrible effects and no clear understanding of what makes a zombie a zombie. They f*cking dodged melee attacks! That's not a zombie, it's a leprous cannibal.

Anyhoo, the moment of brilliance came when they said that "newer zombies can move faster". I liked that, it gave something of a reason since if they're walking dead they'd still be rotting, therefore getting slower as their muscles degenerated.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
The Doom movie was horribly written, visually horrible, and badly directed.

However, the first person scene was pretty awesome. Also, the scene where the guy fights one of the monsters hand-to-hand and uses a big CRT monitor as a flail. It was so cool that I didn't even question why they're still using CRT monitors in the year 2046.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
House of Wax (the 2005 version) was big steaming pile of shit. The only redeeming factor in that film was Paris Hilton biting the dust.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
The Final Destination. Despite the stupid 3D and just how ridiculous the franchise?s special effects and OTT deaths had become by this point, I really liked the scene where that guy?s guts gets sucked out by a pool drain and the final scene, where it goes all Mortal Kombat as the last three characters? deaths are shown in brutal x-ray in conjunction with a rock remix of the Final Destination theme.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I just really liked the scene where the Human Torch (Chris Evans really fit that role, btw) and the Silver Surfer first confront each other, and the fact that the Silver Surfer is voiced by Laurence ?Morpheus? Fishburne.

The live-action Street Fighter film. For me, it?s one of those ?so bad it?s good? films, especially with Guile being played by Jean-Claude Van Damme and that the actor playing M. Bison did a genuinely good performance.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Sure, Twilight's a boring movie, but River Flows in You is an amazing piece of music.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Some people gave it good reviews, but I thought "Cabin Fever" was crap.

That being said, the final scene in the movie (where the black people walked into the store owned by the guy you had assumed was the stereotypical evil, racist, redneck) was sheer genius. I had to watch it twice because I was so caught off guard by it and it still makes me laugh my ass off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJc8Oemwj0

Also, I thought "Eraser" was a terrible movie, but I do have to give it credit for basically introducing the world (and especially the video game world) to the concept of Rail guns.

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters. Bad movie with weak writing and bad acting... It does have it nice and shiny (mostly visual) moments.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The character Mace, from Sunshine. He is the moment of brilliance in that movie because he's the smartest and most dedicated to the cause, person on the entire ship. The moment when they all ask the question whether they should check on the old ship and he says, "But we're not doing that. Right?" (Though he phrases the 'Right?' as a question, he really stresses it). I hear people say they really liked the character Capa and I still don't understand it, Mace is the character that prevented me from writing off the movie. I'd talk about his most awesome moment but that would spoil things for those that would want to watch the movie. It's not really bad, it just has a lot of flaws that keep it from being great.

Captcha.

'How about that?'

I'll say.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
vid87 said:
Spiderman 3 - The first time seeing Sandman getting used to his powers in the pit was stunning, a short film in itself.
^ Perfect example right here.

I'll say the shootout in The International, but especially that bit in the godawful MacGruber movie where they find the notebook with his obsessive scribbles about the car that cut him off. Pretty much the only part of the film that was genuinely funny.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. I had to sit through that piece of crap far more times than I should have (one was too many for me, but a LOTTA my friends are all about the FF7, so I got pulled into it)

However, there is one moment in that movie that ALWAYS makes me smile. The moment that makes me go "Yes. Fuckin' Yes."

And that is when Rufus Shinra stands up from his wheelchair, reveals to the whiny little ***** villain that he had the container holding his mother the whole time, looks at him and says "A good son would've known." before dropping it out the window.

I hate that movie, but I could watch that moment over and over again. It was so satisfying.

I'm sure I could think of several other examples, but that's the one that came in off the top of my head.