Moments you lose faith in a person.

Noah Pinder

Sep 19, 2010
Not in humanity, not in a group of people, but your friend or co worker.

For a time you like them and get along. You agree or disagree on different things but you remain friendly. Then they say something along the lines of...

"You know, I actually think Twighlight wasn't that bad."

Or to an extreme of

"Hitler did nothing illegal"

From that point you just cant hold them in the same regard. Have any of you had something similar to this and if so what did you do after woods? Repair the friendship? Ignore them? Talk to them about it?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Queen Michael said:
They think Fifty Shades is romantic, or well-written.
Goddamnit, I came here, going to write out a long speech about this very thing. You beat me to it. This! This this this this this! And also that they thought the film was the most romantic film ever.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I wish I wasn't a music snob, but there are just certain artists people listen to that make me want to cry.

Like, one of my friends listens to newer Five Finger Death Punch material and still thinks it's great. That's just turrible.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
My Dad said a lot of things about politics and religion that makes our relationship strained. I wouldn't mind him having opposing opinions that much but he keeps GOING ON ABOUT IT EVERY CHANCE HE GETS!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One of my cousins who thought the Hunger Game was a really good movie.

I guess it can't be helped as she is the demographic to Twilight and 50 Shade of Grey etc.

Also there is another cousins of my who once called Link a "Fairy boy" in a condensation way but I can't blame him too much as he did not grew up with Link in his life (he was in the PS era).

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
For me it has to be certain animes. I love animes but there are some animes that has been done to death yet my friends still praised them. Even glaring flaws such as character development and story but they will still defend them.

My friends have the right to enjoy whatever they like, but they want to go to the extreme by calling these certain animes "Masterpiece" . Which makes me lose my mind.

Ohhh, my cousin love Twilight. But I cannot disown her.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
At army recruit training. ("Boot camp" for you USA types.)

We're organised in pairs, two pairs to a room.

The fellow I'm paired with seems like a nice guy. Very cheerful, somewhat animated, rather chatty. I was glad that I hadn't been paired with an idiot or wannabe Rambo type.

A couple days in we're sitting around waiting for an instructor to show up and, just for the sake of making conversation, I ask him what his reasons were for signing up. (It's kind of the baseline question, y'know, like asking a student what subjects they're doing.)

He replies, "I wanted to save my country by killing the ragheads and not have to go to jail for it."

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
OP why would you quarantine somebody for taking Luthers quotes in their intended fashion. Hitler committed one or two crimes before getting to office and maybe he committed statutory rape as well as some jaywalking, but the point of the saying still stands and is relevant.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I don't consider myself petty enough to not like someone if they happen to enjoy something I don't.

If you're intolerant or hateful, then things might be different.

I've had a friend who got drunk once and went on a racist rant about them "n-word"s. Completely lost contact with the dude after that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I lost faith in my brother when he tried to kill my mom because she didn't give him his social security check all at once so he could blow it all on drugs, and then had to clean up the blood and broken glass after the cops had carted him away.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Noah Pinder said:
For a time you like them and get along. You agree or disagree on different things but you remain friendly. Then they say something along the lines of...

"You know, I actually think Twighlight wasn't that bad."
ha ha lol internet meme shit film not as good as Blade vampires don't sparkle.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
"Ew, you're a feminist?"

Yeah, because my personhood is something that needs to be up for debate. I'm not even talking radical feminism here, I'm talking simple "women should be given equal treatment" - hell, not even that, "women should be treated like people" feminism. As soon as person says I'm not worth thinking of as a person, I lose faith in them.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zhukov said:

The fellow I'm paired with seems like a nice guy. Very cheerful, somewhat animated, rather chatty. I was glad that I hadn't been paired with an idiot or wannabe Rambo type.

A couple days in we're sitting around waiting for an instructor to show up and, just for the sake of making conversation, I ask him what his reasons were for signing up. (It's kind of the baseline question, y'know, like asking a student what subjects they're doing.)

He replies, "I wanted to save my country by killing the ragheads and not have to go to jail for it."
The sad part is that I don't even think you really pulled the short straw here. Military service attracts a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons and that's a fairly common one from what I understand :(

I don't think I could ever understand a perspective like that.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:

The sad part is that I don't even think you really pulled the short straw here. Military service attracts a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons and that's a fairly common one from what I understand :(

I don't think I could ever understand a perspective like that.
Drinking turpentine helps.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
inu-kun said:
Happyninja42 said:
I lost faith in my brother when he tried to kill my mom because she didn't give him his social security check all at once so he could blow it all on drugs, and then had to clean up the blood and broken glass after the cops had carted him away.
This went dark extremely fast.
Sorry, but that's the example I have. :p Most little things and differences with the people I know don't make me lose faith in them. You've got to do some seriously fucked up shit to make me cut ties with you, or consider my opinion of you to be utterly wrong.

Though I guess a less dark example would be a co-worker I used to have, who was a nice guy, but super religious. It was odd, he was a 20+year military retiree, but he honestly didn't know how the solar system was set up, and I had to explain what a gas giant was to him. But we were discussing gay rights, specifically to marry and have kids, and he said something along the lines of "they should'nt be able to have kids because they might try and turn them gay." When I tried to explain that this was a stupid idea, and that the evidence showed that gay couples have regular/straight kids all the time, his response was "Yeah but if there is even a sliver of a chance!! They shouldn't be allowed." I was so stunned by this, and then distracted because work interrupted our talk, that I couldn't reply with "Well if we're going off "slivers of chances", then nobody can have kids ever, because they might decide to beat them, or molest them, or any number of terrible things that straight parents do to their children all the time" I stopped having any real respect for his opinions at that point, because they were all filtered through his god-lens, and came out warped like a carnival funhouse mirror.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
I had an online friend that I almost never talked about anything political with them. I made a rape joke while in their company on a chatroom(it wasn't even that risque, plus my humor was always somewhat black) and they got righteously indignant. Basically, they had an unfortunate experience with their father and using such a joke was extremely insensitive according to them. I tried to apologize and drop it but they wouldn't let it go. They kept chastising me and when they had to the gall to say something along the lines of "how dare you make such a joke when you haven't experienced something as traumatizing as that" that's when I dropped the bomb that I actually had which shut them up pretty quickly. Needless to say, we just kind of drifted apart after that and I haven't been in contact with them for a while.
I made a rape joke during a WoW raid once and was promptly PM'd by my guild's GM that his wife was raped in high school. He basically said she doesn't want to say anything because she knows we're just goofing around, but it made her feel uncomfortable. Biggest foot in my mouth moment ever >.>

I apologized and have felt shitty about it ever since.

Know your audience, folks!