Money, Money, Money, Money... Is Money God/King now or is there more to it?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
KOMega said:
We do not worship money, we worship the producer who provides food and water.
We worship the builder who gives us shelter and convenience.
We worship the teacher who gives us knowledge.

We worship any who provides what we want and we give them an offering of marked paper.

But they too are worshipers too,
and they deliver unto us offerings of marked paper for what we possess of value to them in turn.

I also say this in the most deep and dramatic voice I have for extra effect.
I'll get Morgan Freeman or Liam Neeson to read that for you.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
money is everything, there hasn't been any presidential candidate in the US that has not had tons and tons of money backing him. Hardly a representative democracy when the vast majority of the population can only dream to achieve the wealth of their leaders, at least in the literal sense of the word representative.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
It's not even money, really. It's just that organisms that aren't heavily eusocial seem to have this thing for acquiring more resources for themselves to manage some way to stay alive, keep it that way, and attract positive attention, generally at the expense of other considerations. Humans inclusive, on both counts. Consider how 'the competition' is seen as something to do your best to eliminate or at least marginalize. Money is valuable for being a medium of exchange with agreed-upon equivalency, and in the end is no more or less evil than any system, but then consider it's a handy way of denoting access to resources... so in a way, we want more, we're made to want to get more, and money is as good a way as any other as getting access to what we want when we want it. We're all about wanting to have enough of this anomalous 'something' we define as resources which ensures that we will live and live comfortably at that, and money is an easy way to get it and show it.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Um, where have you been for the past five thousand years? Money has kind of been a very important thing for a while. Mainly because it's a hell of a lot more convenient than a barter economy.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Having money beyond being able to simply sustain oneself is equatable to power.

This would not in and of itself be a significant problem, except for the fact that, for reasons I have some difficulty grasping, many people desire great power as an end goal in and of itself, rather than as just another tool.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
templar1138a said:
Um, where have you been for the past five thousand years? Money has kind of been a very important thing for a while. Mainly because it's a hell of a lot more convenient than a barter economy.
Only 22 bro and if I was over 5000 years old I would as bored as fuck. I know money has a very big part in the world but I am saying as it got more influence now than it has thousands of years ago? And how so?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
SecretNegative said:
ParsonOSX said:
Only 22 bro and if I was over 5000 years old I would as bored as fuck. I know money has a very big part in the world but I am saying as it got more influence now than it has thousands of years ago? And how so?
Err...you're seriously asking how money is more convinient than a barter economy? There was an example higher in thi thread, but I'm gonna make my own. Imagine that...you know what? Fuck it. It should be obvious why a barter economy is inconvenient as fuck.
I hear you, bro. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the pigs kept trying to bite me.