Monitor goes blank sometimes.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ok, so I have a weird issue that happens occasionally. I've had this happen kinda since I got this Asus VG27A. What happens is that if I play a game in full screen sometimes the screen will go black for a few seconds. This doesn't happen when I'm not in a full screen/borderless window game and it doesn't happen with every game. Seems to be more common with more system intensive games, doesn't really happen with indie games and it never happens when I'm not in a game. I've tried looking into it but cant find anything and my usual googlefo is failing since I'm not even sure what to look up for it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Have you made sure that all of your graphics drivers are up to date?

I believe the VG27A has g-sync. Are you using it with g-sync enabled, and are you using it with an Nvidia GPU or an AMD one?

Are you using it with HDMI or DP?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Have you made sure that all of your graphics drivers are up to date?

I believe the VG27A has g-sync. Are you using it with g-sync enabled, and are you using it with an Nvidia GPU or an AMD one?

Are you using it with HDMI or DP?
I regularly update my drivers. I'm running a 2080 rtx. I'm using an HDMI connector since I wanted to try HDR and because of that I can't do gsync. G-sync only works on DP but HDR only works on HDMI, or something like that at least when I initially got the monitor and was trying to get all the settings going right.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I regularly update my drivers. I'm running a 2080 rtx. I'm using an HDMI connector since I wanted to try HDR and because of that I can't do gsync. G-sync only works on DP but HDR only works on HDMI, or something like that at least when I initially got the monitor and was trying to get all the settings going right.
It could be an HDR issue. I know that windows 10 can have issues with HDR in fullscreen, though I'm not super well versed on what the problems are or if there are any fixes. I don't personally use HDR (I really don't like the look of it).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It could be an HDR issue. I know that windows 10 can have issues with HDR in fullscreen, though I'm not super well versed on what the problems are or if there are any fixes. I don't personally use HDR (I really don't like the look of it).
I'd rather use DP, but gsync had odd issues even when it did work and HDR is neat, even though its weirdly yellow. I am familiar with some issues that HDR can have, but they are usually more like the monitor and computer stop talking to each other and the only way to get them working again is to unplug everything from the monitor and leave it off for a minute then plug it back in, or check in the display settings to see if windows still detects there is a second monitor then turn it back on in the settings menu.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'd rather use DP, but gsync had odd issues even when it did work and HDR is neat, even though its weirdly yellow. I am familiar with some issues that HDR can have, but they are usually more like the monitor and computer stop talking to each other and the only way to get them working again is to unplug everything from the monitor and leave it off for a minute then plug it back in, or check in the display settings to see if windows still detects there is a second monitor then turn it back on in the settings menu.
HDR should work on DP if you're using displayport 1.4

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
HDR should work on DP if you're using displayport 1.4
At the time I was doing setup it wouldn't. I did hear that nvidia planned on adding it via a patch so by now it might. Haven't looked into it again.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
HDR works fine on display port I'm using it right now, but it could in theory be some bizarre limitation of your graphics card if it's non-reference. Not seeing anything online about HDR only being supported HDMI on any RTX2080s, but who knows. I would switch back to DP and make sure you're using a quality cable that support DP 1.4. Turn HDR on in the Monitor control panel if needed, then HDR in windows, then HDR in game. In that order. In my experience HDR can be finnicky.

If that screen issue was happening on my monitor my first thought would be the cable then drivers. I'd do a CC and wipe the drivers then reinstall the latest.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
HDR works fine on display port I'm using it right now, but it could in theory be some bizarre limitation of your graphics card if it's non-reference. Not seeing anything online about HDR only being supported HDMI on any RTX2080s, but who knows. I would switch back to DP and make sure you're using a quality cable that support DP 1.4. Turn HDR on in the Monitor control panel if needed, then HDR in windows, then HDR in game. In that order. In my experience HDR can be finnicky.

If that screen issue was happening on my monitor my first thought would be the cable then drivers. I'd do a CC and wipe the drivers then reinstall the latest.
When I did setup last year when I got the monitor I tried using DP, but I think when I would turn on gsync it would prevent me from going to 144 MHz. I did try getting a new DP cable but that didn't make it work the way it was supposed too. I mean maybe things would work better now, but I don't know where my DP cable is.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Now I remember why I stopped using the DP cable. When it wakes up from sleep mode it acts like its a new monitor being plugged in and does that new hardware found sound, takes even longer then normal to wake and fucks up all my windows.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Now I remember why I stopped using the DP cable. When it wakes up from sleep mode it acts like its a new monitor being plugged in and does that new hardware found sound, takes even longer then normal to wake and fucks up all my windows.
I'm not sure I still understand the purpose of sleep mode for PCs in the era of M.2 SSDs. When it only takes 4 seconds to boot the PC, and you can set chrome and firefox to remember all your tabs and reopen them on start up, what are you actually saving by using sleep mode rather than just turning off the computer?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure I still understand the purpose of sleep mode for PCs in the era of M.2 SSDs. When it only takes 4 seconds to boot the PC, and you can set chrome and firefox to remember all your tabs and reopen them on start up, what are you actually saving by using sleep mode rather than just turning off the computer?
My machine doesn't go to sleep, but I have it set so my monitors turn off after awhile.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
My machine doesn't go to sleep, but I have it set so my monitors turn off after awhile.
Have you considered pretending that it's the 90s and using a screensaver? I'm quite partial to the pipe maze.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Have you considered pretending that it's the 90s and using a screensaver? I'm quite partial to the pipe maze.
Its easier to just use HDMI. Oh neat, you can still set screen savers.