Voice chat enabled
Classic Controller Pro
$59.99

It only does everything.

Please tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to this

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
Furburt said:
I'm not looking forward to it, mostly because I know nothing about it. And are the reasons really that great?
considering that its for the wii, yes these extras are pretty good

EDIT: this does mean I have to go out and get a wii speak and try to stop my internet from lagging on the wii. It doesn't lag on my xbox but it does on the wii...

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
You might be able to tell me why Monster Hunter never caught on outside Japan, I thought it's a pretty cool concept. And what's a classic controller pro?

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
Gladion said:
You might be able to tell me why Monster Hunter never caught on outside Japan, I thought it's a pretty cool concept. And what's a classic controller pro?

this is the classic controller

And I can't really answer your first question. I wish it did catch on more in the US. But It did catch on a lot more in europe.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
AlexTheBucket2112 said:

And I can't really answer your first question. I wish it did catch on more in the US. But It did catch on a lot more in europe.
This controller looks like the controller designer who worked for Sony earlier got fired and works for Nintendo now - which is fine by me, but the biggest question is: What's whith the shoulder buttons? Are they as stupid as the regular classic controller's (bit redundant, isn't that?).

I also didn't realize it somewhat did catch on in Europe - must have missed that!

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
Gladion said:
AlexTheBucket2112 said:

This controller looks like the controller designer who worked for Sony earlier got fired and works for Nintendo now - which is fine by me, but the biggest question is: What's whith the shoulder buttons? Are they as stupid as the regular classic controller's (bit redundant, isn't that?).

I also didn't realize it somewhat did catch on in Europe - must have missed that!
They had a story about this on the escapist, but they actually made a guild hall in europe somewhere. It's a place where people who play monster hunter can gather with others and play together.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Well, if I ever get a Wii, that's one of the first games I'm getting. I have MH Freedom Unite for the PSP and love it. I'm not very good at it, but I love it.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i was looking forward to it after playing the first on the ps2 but i dont have a wii and they pulled the plug on the ps3 version

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
This is probably the only game that makes me wish I had a Wii. I had a blast with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP. If you are into it, it's a great game to play with friends.

As for why it never caught on? Well you really need a taste for this sort of game to enjoy it. Here's a few reasons why I think it may not have really caught on in the West as a console series:

-Not much story to speak of outside of a little flavor text setting up each Hunt. "Something is scaring the Popos in the snowy mountains! Find out what it is!" (ps, newbies crap their pants on this mission)

-Awkward, but necessary, control scheme. At first the measured timing of the weapons is very off-putting, and the initially percieved need of a lock-on system can be a deal breaker at first. Of course, if you keep on with it, you would understand why the system is the way it is, and why it's necessary.

-"It doesn't get any grindier than this!" If you want to be serious about the collecting/creation of weapons an armors, you will find yourself grinding out a lot of hunts. At some point in the game, it becomes a necessity for better and specific gear(this is about where casual players give up on the game). (ps. that darn farm is an obsesive time sink, but I loves it!)

-Large variety of monsters is a bit of an illusion. At first glance at a listing of the monsters, you might think there are quite alot. However, many monsters are just "re-skins" of earlier beasties, with a modified rotation of attacks or a new special gimmick. Even among the monsters that could almost be considered truly "different", many are still based on the same template of style and animations. There is a story/background reason for this, but it doesn't help keep up an interesting variety from a gameplay standpoint, especially since you may end up grinding these monsters often.

-Difficulty. A-typical of similar looking third person action games, mindlessly mashing the attack button will not grant you a win. Getting a feel for the timing, and understand the rotation of attacks of a given monster becomes crucial. Patience is a must. While early hunts are pretty tame, the game quickly ramps up the challenge, creating a lot of frustration for newer players.

-Reliance on multiplayer for fun and items. Although I'm sure it's different for others, I thought that this game's single player offerings were quite poor. At a point, it just stopped being fun (fighting Elder Dragons by yourself is balls). While the single player does offer a fair amount of hunts, the majority of content is found within the multiplayer guild hall. Additionally, the creation of many armors and weapons requires items only found on the harder versions of monsters located within these guild hall missions. While it is possible to do these missions on your own, you will often need at least a friend or two to get through the tougher fights. Because there is no established, easy to use, infrastructure for finding and connecting to multiplayer games; it can be a hassle to play the multiplayer portion.

Disclaimer: this post refers mostly to the PSP versions of this series. Concerning multiplayer, I know you can use ad-hoc party to connect with friends through the ps3, but this is only a recent addition (unless you bothered with jumping through hoops to get the older japanese version of adhoc party running).

TL DR:

I think Monster Hunter didn't take off in the West because of its unfamiliar control scheme, high difficulty, necessary grinding, and reliance on multiplayer without a solid structure to support that multiplayer portion.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
You know what games like this could use more of? Commercials like the ones that Capcom is running on Youtube for this game right now. Especially this one, where a guy dressed as a monster hunter has the head of a monster in his pickup truck, and showing it off to people at a college [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oaVV-L3soc].

I didn't have much interest in this game only a month ago or so, but with ads like that one, it's hard not to get excited about this game. Free demo disk releases today/tomorrow (March 8th), and if the demo makes the game out to be like anything I'm expecting based on Mr. Ironbeard McCullough (even his name is MANLY!) and his ads, I'll be pre-ordering for sure. Probably the bundle pack, even.