Monster Hunter 4 Devs Discuss Gameplay

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Monster Hunter 4 Devs Discuss Gameplay

Monster Hunter 4 will challenge players to use various terrains to their advantage.

The newest issue of Famitsu went in-depth with the Monster Hunter 4 developers to ask them what the newest installment will add to the series overall: the 3D gameplay. The Nintendo 3DS game, set to come out in Japan on Sept. 14, will take full advantage of 3D landscapes to provide new challenges to players.

Designer Yuya Tokuda said, "For the development team, we felt we'd be hitting the wall if all we did was give you more monsters. So instead we're trying to give you more action, and I think that's a good thing."

Midair fighting is possibly the biggest addition to the gameplay in Monster Hunter 4. Moreover, the game will encourage the player to interact with different tiers of terrain, meaning hunters will climb walls or look down from valleys. Jumping down from higher points allows the player to take advantage of attacks from above and the ability to grapple onto monsters.

Director Kaname Fujioka said, "The most important thing is that the controls feel good for the player, so with that in consideration, we're reworking the behavior of the hunters and the monsters... I think instinctual desires, like wanting to climb up walls or execute jumping attacks, are also important to pay attention to."

The addition of mid-air attacks required producer Ryozo Tsujimoto to consider what kind of effects these attacks would have on the gameplay. "We thought about boosting the amount of damage jump attacks give you, but the concept of damage isn't something you can easily see here, so it's hard to see what payoff it could have." As a result, Tsujimoto says they added the ability to latch onto monsters, but be careful because monsters also have latch-on attacks.

There is still no word whether the game will come to North America or Europe.

Source: Polygon [http://www.famitsu.com/]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Good to hear that they're mixing it up again. The underwater game play in Tri was a refreshing change of pace, but in the end it was even clunkier than the land controls. Looking at the videos, it looks like movement is a lot smoother and more fluid, so there's that to look forward to.

I hope this doesn't take its time coming to the US. I can understand why some of the spin-off titles wouldn't be released here, but this is part of the main series.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Good to hear that they're mixing it up again. The underwater game play in Tri was a refreshing change of pace, but in the end it was even clunkier than the land controls. Looking at the videos, it looks like movement is a lot smoother and more fluid, so there's that to look forward to.

I hope this doesn't take its time coming to the US. I can understand why some of the spin-off titles wouldn't be released here, but this is part of the main series.
You would have thought underwater combat was fluid enough...

OT: I sure hope this will come out here. I really like the idea of using environmental tactics such as height. Oh well, I'll still got things to collect in Monster Hunter 3 so I'll be fine while I'm waiting.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Can anyone tell me if it would be worth waiting for MH4 or getting MH3 and MH4 later.

LordBongo

Jun 13, 2011
All of my want. They better confirm a North American release soon so I can stop get antsy about it.

CrazyBlaze said:
Can anyone tell me if it would be worth waiting for MH4 or getting MH3 and MH4 later.
With the ridiculous amount of time it seems to take for them to localize MH games, you may as well pick up MH3U now seeing as the new one is only JUST about to get released in Japan.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
I think we will see it in the west, considering how popular MH Tri was when they released that over here.Shame it's only on 3DS, I'd love a new console MH, and I didn't get MH3U because it seemed too similar to MH3 to warrant buying a WiiU.