Monster Hunter 4 Sells Two Million Units in Four Days

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Meh. Let me know when this gets a Vita or console release. I had enough of playing MonHun with only one analog stick on the PSP. I love the games, absolutely adore them. But it could be so much better.

I can't believe people still freak out over how Escapist newsies continue to report about games they don't know shit about. Remember when Atelier Totori was called and "objectification simulator"? I just can't get mad about it anymore.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
VanQ said:
Meh. Let me know when this gets a Vita or console release. I had enough of playing MonHun with only one analog stick on the PSP. I love the games, absolutely adore them. But it could be so much better.
Well, Tri Ultimate is on the Wii U. I'm led to believe that's a console.

I can't believe people still freak out over how Escapist newsies continue to report about games they don't know shit about. Remember when Atelier Totori was called and "objectification simulator"? I just can't get mad about it anymore.
Yeah, I'd like to say I'm actually surprised by the amount of bitching at the admittedly silly Pokemon reference, but I'm not. People have been spoiling for fights over anything these past few months.

OT: Monster Hunter is, as far as I'm aware, a pretty big franchise in Japan. It would stand to reason that it would sell well. Still, for a 3DS title currently released in one region, that's pretty darn good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Guys.

Stop freaking out about the Pokemon reference.

It's literally the least important thing said in the article.

OT: It looks like a really cool series, but I lack the console for it. D:

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Dragonbums said:
What do you mean it's a look a like to Pokemon?

Just because something has a variety of monsters, doesn't automatically make it a Pokemon clone.

Because that's where the similarities end.

Last time I check, you couldn't capture and train the dragon bear you just slaughtered for it's pelt. Nor did Pokemon have armor and weapon customization.

You might as well say that they made a game entirely out of the "Go fetch me 5 bear belts" task lines of Elder Scrolls.
It's getting gimmicky. The whole boss hunt genre as it is will soon turn into the Assassins Creed syndrome, since it sells. Don't get me wrong, its fun. But its also the reason a game like Soul Sacrifice is on the Vita only. What was the company going to pay for? That to go on a bigger platform, a new IP with no way to prove it will sell? Or the next Monster Hunter?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not surprised.

Monster Hunter is like catnip to the Japanese :D

If only it could experience the same level of success overseas, I love the franchise, it's ridiculously good fun.
to be fair they tend to release the games on consoles no one over here plays(save for the PS2 one) the Wii U being their latest one that hasn't sold well.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
[insert severely OTT Pokemon comment rage here]

Anyway, good for them. I really should try out the franchise at some point.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
ecoho said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not surprised.

Monster Hunter is like catnip to the Japanese :D

If only it could experience the same level of success overseas, I love the franchise, it's ridiculously good fun.
to be fair they tend to release the games on consoles no one over here plays(save for the PS2 one) the Wii U being their latest one that hasn't sold well.
Monster hunter tri was released on the wii. The wii u version was monster hunter tri Ultimate, that as far I could tell it just an update. otherwise great to hear its been so successful but I am probably only interested in console versions.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
VanQ said:
Well, Tri Ultimate is on the Wii U. I'm led to believe that's a console.
I've looked at Tri Ultimate and it does look damn good but it's the only game the WiiU has that I'm interested in at this point in time and I just can't justify buying a console for a single game. I'll look into that option a bit more seriously down the line, however.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'll try to ignore the Pokemon reference...

That's some really awesome sales there. It's great to see it might overtake 3 Ultimate which sold somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2.5-2.7 millions on 2 platforms.

Now, give us that European release I want... that sounded kinda wrong... didn't it?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I suppose it's too much to ask for that a journalist actually know something about the thing they report about.

"It has monsters in it so it's like Pokemon" is on a level of journalistic research that I feel does not meet the standards of this site, or any site for that matter.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
Maybe we will see a Western Release around 4th quarter next year. Thanks to the Wii and Wii U/3ds titles the game is becoming popular here instead of being a niche game. (Ive been playing since the ps2 version in US which was stupid hard at times)

Im hoping they improve hunter card functionality though, like a few similar games (God Eater) where you can actualy bring your friends in as npcs. Id be happy if I could even bring my friends Felyns/Shakas which needs more customisation itself.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Guys.

Stop freaking out about the Pokemon reference.

It's literally the least important thing said in the article.

OT: It looks like a really cool series, but I lack the console for it. D:
If you have a 3DS, today and tomorrow MH3U is half off on the eshop.
Really good way to get you into the series.

Heck, I'm hooked. and I just bought it yesterday.