Monster Hunter World Iceborne Beta PS+ 21st-24th Open 28th-30th

Feb 26, 2014
So, the Iceborne beta is available so I gave it a shot. I've only hunted the Great Jagras and the Banbaros so far, but the monsters available are the Great Jagras, Banbaros, and Tigrex hunts with an Ice Jyuratados, Anjanath, and Rathlos roaming.

Iceborne brings with it some neat changes to World
Dynamic Difficulty: Previously, Monster Hunter World came in 2 difficulties one for singleplayer and one for multiplayer. Now the difficulty depends on the amount of players, so pairs are now more viable. The difficulty also updates if a player drops-out.

Clutch-Claw The Slinger now has a new mechanic that allows Hunters to do a quick mount. It doesn't last as long as a normal mount does, and it can backfire if done at the wrong time, but it's useful for doing quick damage and dropping slinger ammo. Speaking of which,

Firing mechanic for the Slinger: The Slinger also has a firing mechanic that can be used mid-combo to unleash all of your ammo at once and potentially knock the monster over.

New Attacks for each weapon: I actually haven't tried any of them, but I have seen videos and they look pretty cool particularly my favorites, the Insect Glaive and the Bow.

Raider Ride: Allows hunters to ride small monsters like the normal Jagras. I've yet to try this, but it also looks cool.

View Mode: Basically photo mode.
[hr]
The Great Jagras is just as easy as ever, so no real change there. It kind of felt like we were bullying the little guy, honestly. Banbaros, on the other hand, is beefy and hits pretty hard. His moves are telegraphed pretty well, so he's pretty easy to dodge. The most annoying thing about him is the ice status effect his attacks can apply, which heat drinks apparently don't get rid of. Either way, the hunt is a lot of fun.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Gotta bring that Iceproof Mantle out for Barnabos. Other then that Ice and Cold are separate statuses (much like Fire and Heat) in the base game, so my best bet would be eat a Nulberry if you can find one.

I didn't have much trouble with Barny, though I'm also HR 200 and platted the base game so may have an experience edge there. Tigrex is a bit rapid fire aggressive, and I've only beat him with my main Lance weapon.

I was also wearing the Barnadbos set when I hunted him, which usually has applicable benefits.

Didn't notice too much new in the LAnce. You get bonus damage for perfect counters now. And can counter straight into the Clutch mount. But overall the same play. just more reward for being a bit riskier with your guards and countering.

The riding thing makes for a nice visual, but overall doesn't add too much. Your mount will just move automatically to the monster/set destination or the nearest tracks. It does let you sharpen, and reapply buffs or heals while riding which is handy. And you can initiate with the Clutch claw from the mount, but thats about it.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I want to be surprised so i'm not playing the beta. MHW is amazing and i know the Expansion will be also. Definitely a day 1 purchase.