Monster Hunter

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
So, what is this? Initially, I thought it was Monster Rancher in disguise, but then I played the demo and it's much, much more fun than Monster Rancher ever was for me.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's a new game coming out for the PSP. It seems to feature you as a hero/hunter of some kind who runs around with this cat half your size hunting and killing creatures for profit and equipment (though you have to process the equipment yourself). It seems to have some interesting qualities, though the first mission is balls to the wall hard. The main thing I like is the weapon degradation. I know, I know, that's a little weird, but it's interesting: your weapon will not break, but it will do less damage. You can sharpen your weapon with Whetstones to maintain an edge on them. It's possibly the best representation of maintenance of a real weapon I've ever seen. It also has something like ten weapons to choose from, each with its own special abilities and weaknesses (You can't block with dual blades for some reason, but you can go abso-frickin'-lutely nutso with them.).

I may buy it simply because I found the demo fun, but I'd like to know if this is already a famous series and I've just missed it, or if it's something Capcom has never released before.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Yeah these monster rancher things popped up outta nowhere. It feels a lot like a rip off of Pokemon and I don't care much for Pokemon.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Yeah these monster rancher things popped up outta nowhere. It feels a lot like a rip off of Pokemon and I don't care much for Pokemon.
Well, no, It's not Monster Rancher at all. I've played Monster Rancher and this is nothing like it. That's just what I thought it was when I first saw it. Then I reread the name and played the demo (currently playing the demo, actually) and it's just huge amounts of hunting fun.
madbird-valiant said:
It's not really new, you know. There's a whole series of them, apparently.
Really? Are they all Japanese titles or something? 'Cause I've never heard of them before this.

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
I know I've got the origonal for PS2, and am totally stoked to get MH3 on the Wii when it comes out.

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
RagnorakTres said:
madbird-valiant said:
Really? Are they all Japanese titles or something? 'Cause I've never heard of them before this.
Nope, they've just been sadly obscure.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
deathsong17 said:
RagnorakTres said:
madbird-valiant said:
Nope, they've just been sadly obscure.
Wow. Capcom needs to get the word out on these. It has some of the best graphics I've seen on the PSP, it's well designed, it's a good level of difficulty (I had some initial difficulties with the Hypnotrice. Then I looked at the control scheme and decided to use the weapon I was best with (Dual Blades) rather than the one that looked coolest (Bow/Gunlance).) and it's great fun, at least it is for me. I heartily recommend that Capcom's PR division learn to spend some money to make some money. (Hey, Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat. Seriously.)

Also, THERE'S ONE COMING OUT ON THE WII!? One more reason to buy one...the others being Tetsunoko vs. Capcom and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Three reasons are enough for me, I need to start saving up some money.

Redlac

Dec 12, 2007
The premise of Monster Hunter is simple.

1. Pick a weapon.

2. Go out into the wild and Stab Things To Death.

3. Carve materials of the carcass

4. Use said Materials to create better weapons and armour then go out and kill more powerful beasties.

I was quite annoyed when they announced Monster Hunter 3 was going to come out on the Wii instead of the PS3. Anyways, anyone who wants to know a bit more...

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page