Monsters Energy Forces Ubisoft to change the title for "Gods and Monsters"

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TL;DR
Yeah, we think the name "Gods and Monsters" will cause confusion, and the purchasing of the game will bring down the sales for our drinks. Please change it, k thx.

I mean holy shit, this has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on the internet recently. I feel it's worse all those dumb things that EA has said so far. I don't like Ubisoft in general, but kinda feel bad that they have to deal with something this stupid.

Come to think of it, why don't they sue Capcom as well for using the name "Monster Hunter"?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I mean, it says in the article 'Monster Energy has been a staple in the gaming scene for a while now.' If they're involved in the scene they could have valid concerns if, say, they've got a promo planned with another developer that might seem watered down by or conflict with Ubisoft's offers.

Or maybe they want to make sure people don't think there's an association with Ubisoft, given the recent bad press regarding Ubisoft protecting abusers.

I don't know, I'm not a wizard.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So they are pulling a monster cable? If you dont remember, monster cables made hdmi cables and such and massively overcharged for them, they were also very litigious over other things with 'monster' in their name.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Come to think of it, why don't they sue Capcom as well for using the name "Monster Hunter"?
If they so much as think about doing that, I will stab them in their dicks. Fuck Monster Energy, your fucking drinks are unhealthy and taste like powdered grape medicine! Ubisoft, can still go fuck themselves either way!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I figured they just wanted to change the title to something a little less generic but now it was something stupid instead, like possible legal action from the makers of overpriced, overstuffed soda.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I thought it was law that companies couldn't just establish a word was theirs. How can Monster just claim monster refers to them?

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
I thought it was law that companies couldn't just establish a word was theirs. How can Monster just claim monster refers to them?
Because capitalism ruins everything good about anything creative.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So that's the reason why they changed the name!? WAT!?

This feels...kind of pathetic to be honest.

"Please like our game Monster-senpai we changed its name for you!"
I mean, it's Ubisoft. What did you expect? While there are a few glimmers of genuine creative spark and talent in there, a lot of their games and corporate decisions follow formulic/path of least resistance to a fault. There's a reason THE UBISOFT GAME is a thing.

Even Gods and Monsters/Fenyx Rising looks like they took Assassins Creed: Odyssey and Breath of the Wild and smashed them together in a surprisingly generic way.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
It'd be a tougher sell to try and take down a 16 year old franchise that your own brand only slightly predates.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Well... The people that buy and drink that vile stuff generally aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, so I can see Monster Energy's concerns regarding this 😮

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimpzy

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, it says in the article 'Monster Energy has been a staple in the gaming scene for a while now.' If they're involved in the scene they could have valid concerns if, say, they've got a promo planned with another developer that might seem watered down by or conflict with Ubisoft's offers.

Or maybe they want to make sure people don't think there's an association with Ubisoft, given the recent bad press regarding Ubisoft protecting abusers.

I don't know, I'm not a wizard.
Monster is a generic word. No one should be able to trademark a generic word like that. And why should Ubisoft give a flying fuck if Monster Energy is involved in the gaming industry? Are they involved with Ubisoft in any way?

This is stupid. I'd tell them to kindly fuck off and go fuck themselves.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Monster is a generic word. No one should be able to trademark a generic word like that. And why should Ubisoft give a flying fuck if Monster Energy is involved in the gaming industry? Are they involved with Ubisoft in any way?

This is stupid. I'd tell them to kindly fuck off and go fuck themselves.
I'm not sure that they have trademarked a generic word (there's a list of Monster's trademarks at https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/monster-energy-company-2329909/index.html, but I got bored scrolling through the list (it's very long), but Monster as a standalone word isn't in the first five pages). They've objected to someone else's trademark. It matters if they're in the same industry because that's why the idea of it harming their own product can work. I'm sure multi-billion dollar company Ubisoft could've defended it if they thought it was worth it.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Well, now I will never play it because of the horribly misspelled "Phoenix".
I suspect Ubisoft thinks it's being clever. "It's like Phoenix except spelled like a name. Look how smart we are".

I was interested in this when it was announced but since then we've heard about Ubisoft having a serious Sexual harassment/assault problem in the corporate structure, the "It's not political" thing, the persistent rumor that Female PCs were meant to be far more prominent in recent Assassin's Creed games then they ended up being before Corporate made them change it because "Women don't sell" and the game doesn't even look particularly interesting.

Giving Ubisoft money at this point feels icky. Moreso then normal, I mean.

Last edited: