Monsters of Classic Mythology, Your Ideal Look For One

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
Skyrim dragons didn't have stinger tails, so it's at least as ridiculous to insist they are "technically wyverns". What the Monstrous Manual says about limb count doesn't carry any weight outside of D&D (and not always in D&D, either - DM fiat and all that).

Defense of TES aside - Dragon's Dogma has some really old-school monster design and it pulls it off beautifully. I especially like their take on the Chimera and Golem.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
BlazeRaider said:
...every monster in mythology converted to it's Kenkou Cross Monster Girl Encyclopedia counterpart.

DON'T JUDGE ME!
damn someone beat me to it, seriously though Kenkou Cross Monster Girl Encyclopedia takes monsters and puts them in the best and cutest possible look.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
BlazeRaider said:
...every monster in mythology converted to it's Kenkou Cross Monster Girl Encyclopedia counterpart.

DON'T JUDGE ME!

Anyways...speaking of female monsters, I've always preferred he more monstrous versions, rather than the beautiful woman with prettified monster traits. Take gorgons for example. They're drawn as pretty way too often, especially considering they're supposed to be really ugly.

Fuck you Clash of the Titans remake. You suck.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Rickolas Walrus said:
I love Gryphons to but I find it ironic that people misspell them alot. Don't take it the wrong way and I totally agree on your choice.

OT:

I love Dragons, however its quite easy to make a terrible looking dragon.

Here is an example of an AWESOME Dragon:

This is not a TERRIBLE dragon:

A well made dragon is one that shows off its features to give it a monsterous and large feel behind it. The appeal behind it is a MASSIVE creature, most boring people feel the need to just make a lizard with horns that can fly and breath fire, which is really fucking lame for creating a dragon.

Also, bird-folk (Minus the wings for playable ones),

Can we see them in the next elder scrolls game? (After the MMO is made)
Why do the female bird people have breasts?

Honestly anything that claims to be reptile, avian ect that still have the females having breasts annoy me.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Sean Steele said:
Its an oversight but we humans expect it sometimes....not that all of us we WANT it.

Also, we still need more animal/human hybrids in mythical games and such.

Elves and Dwarves have become boring.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Sean Steele said:
Its an oversight but we humans expect it sometimes....not that all of us we WANT it.

I hate it, because its a sign that the creator went was given a choice.

A-Make them a more individual and unique species with their own traits, standard of beauty, and society.

B-Give Furries some fan service to fap to.

And all too often B trumps A and it feels like a shallow business decision rather the a creative decision.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
wintercoat said:
BlazeRaider said:

DON'T JUDGE ME!

Anyways...speaking of female monsters, I've always preferred he more monstrous versions, rather than the beautiful woman with prettified monster traits. Take gorgons for example. They're drawn as pretty way too often, especially considering they're supposed to be really ugly.

Fuck you Clash of the Titans remake. You suck.
Actually the beautification of the Gorgons (particularly Medusa) started long before even the original Clash of the Titans was filmed. Something like 500 B.C back when Greek poets were still around. Originally they were described as monstrous/unattractive though. However both accounts can be states as authentic Greek myth as both accounts originate from Ancient Greece.

Also Gorgons were never depicted as having snake bodies in any of the original myths. They had snakes for hair, wings, and in some cases tusks. Usually something along these lines

That good sir, is a Gorgon.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Sean Steele said:
Terminate421 said:
Sean Steele said:

A-Make them a more individual and unique species with their own traits, standard of beauty, and society.

And all too often B trumps A and it feels like a shallow business decision rather the a creative decision.
I think its a mix of that and more of human psyche. Why do you think the Asari came to be in Mass Effect?

We perceive most alive things that can walk and talk like us to have tits like us. Personally I'd go for the "different life form" approach by not making it mammal like (No tits).

Still want more (Playable) Bird Folk in games. Personally didn't really think about...tits on other species until now. Still not interested.

BTW, Awesome Tyrion Avatar

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Sean Steele said:
Terminate421 said:
Sean Steele said:

I think its a mix of that and more of human psyche. Why do you think the Asari came to be in Mass Effect?

We perceive most alive things that can walk and talk like us to have tits like us. Personally I'd go for the "different life form" approach by not making it mammal like (No tits).

Still want more (Playable) Bird Folk in games. Personally didn't really think about...tits on other species until now. Still not interested.

BTW, Awesome Tyrion Avatar
Ironicly Mass Effect has a great deal of things done right. Asari Aside you speak to the female Salarian Delitrass and she looks like... well to your human eyes any other Salarian, same with Eve the only shown female Krogan, and the Turian Femals in the comics look like males with less head plates. (Which makes sense since Turians are in fact, Bird People and the head plates are supposed to be plumage)

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
I think manticore's could be relatively interesting. Truthfully I think it could make for an interesting creature because of the similar but varied descriptions. If it was depicted as a shape shifter, who viewed itself as completely normal and other creatures as "half lions" "Half falcons" "half human"...I think it could be cool. It mostly stays in it's natural form, or appears as one of the others constantly changing shape but not size.

The Gorgons are something I think could be interesting too. I've always sympathized with them, and I think a softer depiction,or using them as heroes could be fun. Basically have Medusa take her curse and turn it into a strength. I imagine her as a lean tall woman with narrow features who wears flattering but flowing garments with things that make her appear somewhat professional. She always wears sunglasses that are a bit too large for her face. Usually she wears a long hood. Her hair appears as if it is in loose strands pinned up in the back but when she unpins her hair the strands merge into dozens of tiny highly poisonous snakes.

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
Terminate421 said:
Rickolas Walrus said:
I love Gryphons to but I find it ironic that people misspell them alot. Don't take it the wrong way and I totally agree on your choice.
Is that really the way it's spelled? After googling it, turns out it's the original spelling. Learn something new everyday! lol I've only seen it spelled like that one time and I thought it was just to make it...I dunno not "personal" but I mean like how demons are called "Keshin" in Soul Eater, that sort of thing

Also, bird-folk (Minus the wings for playable ones),

I also agree with your bird-folk ideas. Personally I feel anything can be made more badass when it's fused with a monstrous bird. Maybe have wing-type feathers come off the forearm ala the spikes on Batman's gauntlets?

Sometimes I really wish I could draw...

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Wow, I'm impressed. Compared to my last thread, (Pure Lyrical Malice, which last I checked was sitting at 19 replies) this one has taken off. Since I'm posting here and there are no doubt those who are curious about what I meant about the chimera I spoke of in the capcha let me fill you all in:

Whenever I draw a chimera, I like to start off with the head. It is lion like but when viewed from above it's wider to accomodate a pair of goat horns for ramming. It's jaw also has unusual workings. Next to it's lion fangs, it has a pair of viper fangs that are usually folded on the top of the mouth unless it is on the attack. Yes this means it is venomous. Also like a viper it has elastic ligaments in its jaw that allows it to open its mouth much wider than a normal lion, as well as a ligament in the front of its lower jaw that allows it to spread laterally. The actual body of my chimera is not much to write home about, most of it resembles a lion save for the back legs that end with hooves that resemble paws (ala Dragon's Dogma). I'm not sure why but to finish the chimera off I love puting a rattlesnake's tail on them every single time.