Moral Orel. Holy Crap.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Has anyone watched this? Moviebob mentioned it in passing a bit back and looking for something to watch, I decided to check it out.

...Bloody hell. First season is okay in a silly Adult Swim kind of way. Second and third seasons...yeah. Not even sure how to describe it, but this is stuff that will stay with you for a long time after.

If you haven't seen this show already, give it a watch. It's like something Garth Ennis would have thrown together if asked to make a spoof of cheesy old kids shows.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

Also...this is the song that starts off season 3. This will give me goosebumps every time I hear it from now on.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Moral Orel is one of those kinds of series that sucker punches you for your loyalty, which can be a good or bad thing like in Game of Thrones. I loved the show having grown up in communities like Moralton where a lot of the people pretend to be flawless and happy for their religious beliefs, but in reality they're as shallow and bothered as all people are from time to time, if not more so for not having to check that part of themselves. Yet the condemn and judge people who don't fit their standards who happen to be the genuinely nice and accepting members of society. The kindest people I knew growing up where the ones wearing black and tattoos all the time, and not their Sunday best when it wasn't even Sunday. It's kind of scary on how accurate it is being a satire of the everytown protestant USA trope certain social conservative groups want for the entire country. Appearances are deceiving if there's anything to take from Moral Orel.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
The parody was funny (I think it resonates with a lot of people raised like I was) but then they go nuts with the character stuff in Season 2 and Season 3 is just...incredible. Some shows stay with you, but this one followed me to work today and home after.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Starbird said:
The parody was funny (I think it resonates with a lot of people raised like I was) but then they go nuts with the character stuff in Season 2 and Season 3 is just...incredible. Some shows stay with you, but this one followed me to work today and home after.
I know what you mean. Moral Orel is one of my favorite shows, for exactly that reason. It's a shame it got canceled just as it was getting good, but maybe keeping the message simple was a better route.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Yep, I remember that show, it was really weird and crazy at times and I thought that it would be amazing if that poor Moral kid didn't grow up to be crazy or a psychopath.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Yes it was really quite amazing, it's like they got fed up mocking religion and Middle-American Culture and decided the stereotypes they used were far more interesting to explore as real characters.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Groxnax said:
Yep, I remember that show, it was really weird and crazy at times and I thought that it would be amazing if that poor Moral kid didn't grow up to be crazy or a psychopath.
Did you ever see the ending?

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I remember watching the premier on AS years ago and a season one episode here and there. It was alright. Like you OP I saw The Big Pictures recommendation and decided to check out the second and third seasons which I never saw.

Holy crap.

I wasn't expecting it to be that good. The first season can't compared to the later two seasons. It is one of the few shows to legitimately make me tear up.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Damn, that reminds me, I think I need to watch it again. The feels man, the feels!

My favorite episode is the one where the priest meets his daughter.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Starbird said:
Groxnax said:
Did you ever see the ending?

Yep, it was a really touching end to the series.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Yeap. Watched the entire series with 2 friends and we all got to see this series descend into madness together. Awesome. "No Children" playing on the episode "numb" was amazing.

It's seriously the most artistically depressing thing I've appreciated besides Breaking Bad. It has a real arc, starting out from satirically saccharine sweet to deliciously grim. One of my favorite series.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I adore this show. I really wish they would release the rest of the episodes on DVD in the US. There's always import, though. Pretty sure there's an Australian release that has every episode.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I used to watch it in gr9 or 10.

You should check our Review with Forrest Mcneal, Rick & Morty, and Eagleheart. In that order.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Watch it a little with the spoilers, I just started watching the second season. And damn, that Christmas episode at the end of season 1 was quite a heavy shift in tone. If that's a sign of things to come I already know that this is going to be really interesting.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Amazing series. Still have this song stuck in my head from Doughy's episode.
<youtube=E11YVjBcbqo>

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I always enjoyed the random episodes I caught on Adult Swim, it felt like the South Park episodes that just focused on Butters. Damn it, now I need to try and find it on one of the streaming services now that you have reminded me of it.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Starbird said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

Also...this is the song that starts off season 3. This will give me goosebumps every time I hear it from now on.
Then there's the song in season 3 episode 7.

Still disappointed it was cut short the way it was. Season 3 was originally meant to be 20 episodes, and the original plan was for 5 seasons.

There's a script floating around for one of the cut season 3 episodes ("Raped"), and "Trust" was presumably another, since several of them dealt with Orel's grandfather.