Moral Relativity?

Bunnymarn

Oct 8, 2008
Logiclul said:
@bunnymarn There is a difference between believing that there is a God and being Christian (where you assume a purely good God). Hypotheticals like that then get thrown out from a Christians' perspective.
I read this wrong the first time.

Even so, it could have been the devil disguised as God. Surely a Christian would have to prove why God is only good if they want him to hold any significance to anyone beyond themselves.

EDIT:

JoJoDeathunter said:
Bunnymarn said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
1) Yes, I do.
2) Here is the entire list of objective rules I follow:

Do undo others as you would have them do to you

I follow it best I can. Questions?
Are you honestly saying that if I don't mind my possessions being stolen, it's completely fine for me to go and steal from others?
No, because that would make them unhappy (assuming they don't want their possessions being stolen), and you wouldn't want anyone to make you unhappy, so you'd still be breaking the rule.
You're assuming that being happy is inherently more desirable than being unhappy and that another person can "make me unhappy". They can annoy me, anger me, disappoint me, hurt me, etc, but why can they make me unhappy?

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Agayek said:
Smiley Face said:
The problem is that, while this is your opinion, it isn't a fact. You have to prove that this is a truth about the nature of reality on the same level that the laws of gravity are if you want it to be objective truth. I could agree that those are good things. Everyone in the whole world could agree those are good things. But doing that doesn't make them a universal law in the same way that gravity is. Objective morality means that there are answers to what is right and wrong that apply to everyone, at every time, from every culture. These answers can never change, and have to actually be built in to reality, because if they're not, they're just part of the subjective human experience. Moreover, in order to make any claims about them, you have to be able to demonstrate the actuality and the nature of this moral-rules-built-into-reality thing. You haven't done that.
I fully intend to stay out of this debate, but I have to point out one thing:

You cannot relate gravity to morality. Gravity is a physical, testable effect on reality. Morality is an idea. You can no more prove (or disprove) the existence of objective morality than you can the existence of God. It's purely conceptual, and thus cannot be proven or disproven.

That said, morality is (almost certainly) an evolved trait in the human psyche. It's objective insofar as one's need for socializing is objective. It's simply hardwired into the vast majority of humanity that some things are good and some things are bad. There's plenty of room for debate about the subjectivity of it, as everyone has different reactions to violations of moral guidelines, but every single individual a competent psychologist would declare mentally sound agrees on a handful of salient points. Specifically: "murder is bad" and "protect the children" (amongst others, but these are the most prominent). These have been literally hardwired into our brains through thousands upon thousands of years of evolution.

If that doesn't count as objective standards, this debate cannot ever be decided.
But here's the thing - that's what strong objective morality is, saying that moral laws are as much an in-built part of reality as the laws of physics. Read Plato, that's what he's saying. If you agree that can't ever be proved, I'm right on board with you.

Your argument is saying that certain 'moral judgements' are biologically inbuilt via evolution. I'm fine with that idea, it certainly makes a lot of sense. My point is that while that's an objective fact about reality, it's not an objective basis for morality. While I may have the in-built instinct that murder is wrong, I also have the in-built instinct to commit acts of violence when provoked - which is also considered wrong. If following animal instincts was all it took to be a moral creature, that would defy the conventional point of morality - to mitigate those impulses. Morality is seen as a choice made by rational creatures - following instinct, on the other hand, is something every life form does.

Our judgements of what is moral come from elsewhere, and while they're justified by things that may be objective on some level, like the law, or whatever, they're not the standard of objectivity that true objective morality needs to live up to.

True objective morality says that 'killing a person, given these circumstances, is morally wrong'. And that this holds true for anyone, at any time, anywhere. The judgement is eternal, immutable, and unchanging. And for it to be Objective, it has to Not be a human creation, it has to be TRUE, a TRUTH, in the way I've been talking about.

Seem like way too ridiculous and impossible to prove? THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING.

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
MonkeyGH said:
baconfist said:
Morals change quite often, and they are simply a reflection of current public opinion in a given area.
Sure. Examples? What are some morals that have "changed" recently?

Also, what's your source for saying that? Where can I find the information to inform me that some specific moral has changed today?
Really you need examples? You can throw a grain of sand and hit a dozen examples.

I'm probably being trolled here but..

1. Gay marriage still morally wrong in many peoples eyes but currently happening more and more.

2. The sexual revolution of the 60-70's.

3. The abolition of segregation.

4. It's no longer ok to marry a 13 year old.

I've passed over hundreds of examples here like how people tend to live together without being married or have more children out of wedlock. These things used to be huge moral problems and now being bastard born doesn't even matter.

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
Glass Joe said:
[quote:]The moral relativist believes that ethical truths are relative to groups smaller than humanity as a whole. Moral relativism is the view that what determines the truth or falsity of moral beliefs is just what is endorsed by the prevailing culture. According to moral relativism, moral truths are made by the dominant view in a society, not merely propagated by the dominant culture.

To allow just one fundamental universal ethical truth that is independent of the say so of individuals or groups is to abandon relativism in favor of a realist view of ethical truth.

Sometimes our view about the moral status of some practice changes. A person might, for instance, think that eating meat is morally unproblematic at one time and then become convinced that animals deserve some kind of moral regard that speaks against eating meat. When a person?s moral views change in this fashion, they do not merely drop one moral belief in favor of another. Typically, they also hold that their previous moral view was mistaken. They take themselves to have discovered something new about what is morally right. Likewise, then the prevalent moral belief in a society undergoes a significant change, as in the civil rights movement, we are inclined to see this as a change for the better. But the relativist cannot account for changes in our moral beliefs being changes for the better. This is because the relativist recognizes no independent standard of goodness against which the new prevalent moral beliefs can be judged to be better than the old prevalent moral beliefs.

A closely related problem for moral relativism is the moral reformer's dilemma. We recognize a few remarkable individuals as moral reformers, people who, we think, improved the moral condition of their society in some way. Common examples might include, Buddha, Jesus, Ghandi or Martin Luther King. While the relativist can allow that these individuals changed the moral views of their societies, none can be said to have changed their societies for the better according to the relativist. Again, this is because the societal moral relativist recognizes no standard of moral goodness independent of what is accepted in a society according to which a society that has changed can be judged to have changed for the better. A relativist that takes ethical truth to be relative to the dominant view in a society seems to be committed to taking institutionalized racism to be morally right relative to per-civil rights American society and wrong relative to post civil rights American society. But since standards of goodness are determined by the prevalent views in a society, there is no standard goodness to appeal to in judging that the change our society underwent in the civil rights movement is a change for the better. According to societal moral relativism, anyone who takes Martin Luther King to have improved American society by leading it to reject institutionalized racism is just mistaken about the nature of ethical truth.
http://personal.bellevuecollege.edu/wpayne/Moral%20Relativism.htm

Do moral relativists believe that no society can change for the better? Are we just as moral now as we were in slavery days or when we were living in tribes? Are the Nazis morally justified? I believe not. Happy MLK day everybody!

Edit: A lot of people are arguing for individual moral relativism. I would then ask, is it possible to grow as an individual and become a better person? Why should one work harder or improve the lives of those around him if it is equally moral not to? If one always chooses to do the right thing from somewhere within himself, what is the source of that preference, and is it common among men?[/quote]

Of course I'll respond! First I'll explain why Payne's argument is wrong, then I'll get to your questions:

He first assumes that it is possible to have no moral for a situation and still make decisions based on it. If one eats meat, then they have a moral code which allows them to do so. That is to say, that they feel "one may eat animal as it is basic nourishment", or something similar, as most people have SOME view on the subject. And if we take that class, and narrow to meat-eaters, then we will find in Payne's example that if they become vegan, that they are then DROPPING one moral principle for another.

There is a way for society to improve, and that is for it to change to reflect the majority's moral beliefs when it does not. Slavery didn't end because the moral code which says no slavery all of the sudden spoke up and said "what the hell are you guys doing", it ended because the majority finally had the moral code which said "slavery is wrong". Their moral code finally changed.

That society was indeed moral from a subjective standpoint of the time. Using our current morals they weren't moral of course, however morals, being subjective and based off of experience, change.

The Nazis were, subjectively, morally justified. They were a minority acting on their moral principles just as MLK was a minority acting on his. I can compare MLK and Nazis because they were indeed doing the same thing: trying to drastically change a society to fit their moral principles. We think of MLK as just and Nazis as evil because the Nazis' failed and MLK succeeded.

A subjectively 'better' person is one who follows his own moral beliefs more accurately in life. An objectively 'better' person is one who follows the basic moral beliefs which the strong majority all possess more accurately in life.

It is moral to improve the lives of those around you most likely. It is doing good for your neighbor, it is lending a helping hand. I don't understand this point.

I already have explained the source of the preference, you'll have to find that post for yourself, but it is in response to Gregrench or something, and uses Axiom i, Theorem p, and Set T as examples.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Bunnymarn said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Bunnymarn said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
1) Yes, I do.
2) Here is the entire list of objective rules I follow:

Do undo others as you would have them do to you

I follow it best I can. Questions?
Are you honestly saying that if I don't mind my possessions being stolen, it's completely fine for me to go and steal from others?
No, because that would make them unhappy (assuming they don't want their possessions being stolen), and you wouldn't want anyone to make you unhappy, so you'd still be breaking the rule.
You're assuming that being happy is inherently more desirable than being unhappy and that another person can "make me unhappy". They can annoy me, anger me, disappoint me, hurt me, etc, but why can they make me unhappy?
It is inherently more desirable and if you want to know why I think that, read my responses to Mortai since we've been debating that for quite a while now. Here's a very condenced version, though I suggest if you want to join in the debate you read all the previous posts me and Mortai have made rather than asking me questions I've already answered:

Sentient creatures want what they prefer. Sentient creatures prefer happiness. Therefore sentient creatures want to be happy.
You know what I mean for the second point, positive feeling over negative feeling, so there's no point trying to split hairs over the exact word I used.

Mortai Gravesend said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Just declaring that doesn't make it true. What reason is there to believe that claim? You have no proof that it is so.
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Prove it.

You can't, and that is the point.

Happier is not inherently better; your value system simply states it is.
Both of you are seriously asking me to prove that happiness is better?! Well, do you prefer being happy or unhappy? That should give you the answer ;-)

And just a heads up, but I'm going to bed now so any more replies from me won't come for the best part of half a day, take that as you will.
But that isn't proof. There is no reason to believe that whatever I desire is somehow an objective moral fact. This is especially evident since people's desires can conflict, so what people want clearly is not a consistent or reliable source for truth. Using what people prefer as a source of truth is quickly dismissed by it being contradictory.
People's desires do conflict, but there is always one single root towards the maximum happiness. I won't pretend to know what that always is, I believe I have a good idea but you would need to know everything to see the best course of action every time.
There's no reason to believe there is one way to maximum happiness. Further, you have yet to establish that maximum happiness is best. So far your only argument for it involves people's desires. But I've pointed out that is a flawed basis to determine truth.
I disagree, by sheer probability what do you think the chances are of two actions leading to exactly the same and highest amount of happiness? Hugely low, even if the difference is tiny that still means there is one best course of action. Maximum happiness is what sentient creatures such as ourselves prefer, if two wishes conflict then the one that will cause the least harm should prevail. I have already established that sentient creatures desire what they prefer, that is an objective fact shown by people aiming for what they want every day.
Now you're being pretty damn dishonest.
I'm disappointed, up until now you've argued well without resorting to personal attacks or slurs, unlike several other posters on this thread.

I didn't ask you to prove that they desire what they prefer. I asked you to prove that maximum happiness is what is best. And I pointed out that desire and preferrence don't work as a basis for establishing truth. So going on about it being what is desired and/or preferred is irrelevant.
Sentient creatures want what they prefer. Sentient creatures prefer happiness. Therefore sentient creatures want to be happy.
OMFG. I said I didn't ask about that.

As we are sentient creatures, it therefore makes sense to aim for goals that maximise happiness, so as many sentient creatures will get what they want as possible. The only way this isn't the "best" option is if you ignore our sentient values and desires, which is quite frankly pointless as morality means nothing to a plant or a rock, as useless are trying to study video game design from the point of view of a cheese sandwich.
Claiming something 'makes sense' is not proof that it is true. And appealing to sentient values does not prove that it is true either. In fact appealing to VALUES is practically shooting yourself in the foot when you're trying to prove something is objectively true. Pointlessness has nothing to do with objective truth.
But if values are universally true of something, then it is relevant in saying whether something is objectively true. An alternate morality is only possible when you have different starting values to base that morality off, something which is impossible for humans and probably other sentient creatures too. From taking an initial set of values, one logical (and therefore universal) morality will emerge at the most efficient at producing those values. Just because morality can't be measured with a meter or device doesn't mean it isn't real, just as love between two people or the borders of a country can't be physically measured either but certainly exist.
No, in fact it is not relevant. Agreement does not make something true. Whether there is an alternate morality or not does not make it a facet of reality that is independent of opinion.

It is also not impossible. That's an absurd notion. That people desire their own happiness does not mean that they need to base their morals on everyone being happy.
The saying "what goes around, comes around" comes to mind in regards to your final sentence. From a purely logical POV it makes sense to maximise as much happiness as possible, as if someone only looks out for themselves the chances are they will eventually pay for that. There's a reason morality evolved in humans, which is that societies without morals couldn't function as a unit and were so outcompeted by those which the members supported rather than hindered each other. The lone wanderer could be very successful for some time on their own, but without the support of a group he or she would be very likely to fall into trouble. If everyone only looks out for themselves, there is a net loss.

Bunnymarn

Oct 8, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
I've gone back over your conversation with Mortai and I see that you think that think a) there is one true path to happiness, and b) that sentient creatures prefer happiness. And I have to say, without meaning offence, but that is incredibly short sighted. I'm sorry if you've already said it, but can you tell me exactly what is happiness? Is happiness what I strive for or is it the name that I give to what I strive for and is, therefore, more of a subjective umbrella term that applies differently to different people? Some view that fulfillment comes through removing all suffering, others think that suffering is a prerequisite for fulfillment; some desire the freedom to do what they want, others prefer order and rules. And some think they can reach happiness through faith of one kind or another, whereas others view it as something completely illusory. You can't slap your hand down and just say: "This is the only and correct way to happiness. You're all wrong." What is your proof or arguement for your assertion that "there is always one single root towards the maximum happiness"?

Perhaps, as an example, I just want freedom. I don't care if I'm miserable or happy, I just want the freedom to do as I please. I'd rather be free than be happy and restrained. Is happiness what I want? Is the happiness, in this case, coming from my freedom or is my freedom coming from my happiness? Or, perhaps as a sentient creature, I just want to maximise my ability to experience sensations, whether they bring pleasure or pain.

And there is a point arguing over which word you used because you're assuming that a positive is inherently better than a negative. What if I view stealing as an act which will bring about suffering and offer the possibility for a truer sense of happiness (in my/the stealer's mind)? In this case, I embrace the idea of suffering as something which can be beneficial. I know we could argue about whether or not I have the liberty to impose my views on another person, but that is a different topic altogether.

Jarimir said:
Bunnymarn said:
Cut
I do apologise, but I am rather tired after typing all that above stuff, so I shall reply to this tomorrow.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
lionrwal said:
I was having a discussion with my friend about his justifications for piracy, and he told me a story about "moral relativity." Basically it went that these two people murdered someone, and they claimed that it was because of moral relativity, and the judge gave them a very short sentence instead of life. If you don't know what it is, it's the belief that you can't impose your own morals on someone because there are no set morals for anyone. This was literally his only justification.

I do believe that people have different sets of morals, but I don't buy that someone could believe murder is good.

So what's your take on moral relativity?
War. And a few religious people believe that atheists should be shot in the face. War is the act of plain out murdering people you don't like for something like land or money. Morals are very much a human thing, do you think that a tiger cares that it just killed a monkey that was the mother of three smaller monkies? No, because its survival. If Morality is set in stone, then it should be apparent to all animals.

Morals are decided by a society by people saying "Alright, you don't kill me because that would make you bad, and I won't kill you because then I would be bad." And then add in a special innovation called "Jail" and "Court" with "Police" and you have, in essence, how our community acts about its laws.